Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Just for fun, here are:

Some entirely unverifiable things that have been said about CR & CIG:

Sept 2015
I have friends who work at CIG - not David Jennison and I won't name names to protect the innocent - and I have to say this story sounds familiar. Effort can be poured into something for months and then Chris will just one day go another way or change who he wants leading an initiative - sometimes without the people currently working on it even knowing for a while, or why the change in direction.

Nov 2015
CIG is stuck in a Sisyphean hell of incompetence. Case in point, I know of a guy who was working on the ship's damage states. He spent the better part of a year working and re-working the same problem because Chris kept changing the stuff up. He worked diligently on this single feature for nearly a year before quitting, as there was no end to the re-works in sight.

May 2016 - E3 2nd-hand gossip
Chris and I had a pretty good working relationship, I think. Great even, as long as you don't share anything negative. As long as you don't say no or make things too complicated. We started calling him Chris the Ripper because he absolutely eviscerated people that tried explaining things to him.

April 2016
I can tell you this. Any one who brought up performance issues got a stone cold stare. you never bring up performance with croberts if it means sacrificing fidelity. issues were raised, and beaten down into the sirt as fast as possible.

April 2018
He’s a poser perfectionist who has no idea how to describe what he actually wants, but he’s more then happy to tell someone that something they’ve been slaving over for days (from his last feedback session) is not what he is looking for. Thus, sending that person spiraling for another batch of days and nights trying to come up with something he will like. Any CIG people reading this and having some ptsd from the description?

DA was the only studio I’ve ever had the displeasure of sleeping under my desk numerous nights.

Oct 2018
A relative of mine worked for Cloud Imperium for a couple years. According to him the problems with the game's development start with the word 'Chris' and end with the word 'Roberts.' He called the man, "the Dunningest Krugerian I've ever met" whose micromanagement of things he doesn't understand and constantly shifting, often cluelessly impossible demands were acting as sand in the gears. He also said every time Chris got in front of a camera the devs would groan because he'd start waving his hands around and promising a dozen new features or mechanics, none of which had even been sketched on a napkin by anyone else.

He left last year though so now who knows.

May 2019
Had lunch with an ex-designer from the Squadron 42 studio today. But nothing groundbreaking to say other then to continue to confirm what is known

-Endlessly frustrated after a year of everything on that game changing over and over again, leading to all the work needing to be constantly scrapped or reworked. He left in total frustration

-Massive attrition constantly occurring every month

-Liked Erin but said he is a slave to his brothers insanity

-75% of the studios time is pulled to help make assets and movies with the other studios, to sell to whales

-Sandi is a very frightening woman and the studio is told in advance to just sit quietly and act really busy when she would visit. Do not even say hi to her or make eye contact. Its safer to be anonymous. Chris would be a bit more chatty but would talk down to people and handlers would usher him away if you talked for more then a few minutes.

-Did not believe the game was a pure scam at the start, just that it morphed into an unachievable product (because chris) and everyone knows that. Staff is mostly first timers who just need jobs but can’t get hired at better places.

-Chris has some odd shoelace fetish and stopped production, for a few weeks, with a large portion of the art team who needed to make them all scratch again on every boot

-Arena commander was made purely to help whales “believe” and get more funding

- Ex Designer had never heard of Derek Smart. Studio was encouraged to stay out of forums. Especially Reddit

-Did not have to sign any legally binding gag contracts when he left. Was free talk about it if he wanted but just didn’t care enough to talk in forums. Said it was just sad and depressing there and felt bad for the guys who had to remain because of no prospects elsewhere.

-Even with the switch to Lumberyard, the engine is not enough (and probably never will be) to make the MMO game that chris wants - but would be capable of making sq42 if chris ever reigned it into a scope that was possible

-Never provided any design direction to the sq42 team for mechanics or gameplay, And Is perceived as completely uneducated on game development

-Did make one joke at lunch and said “but in the end it will all be okay, because chris will code it”

There’s more but its all just blah blah blah stuff that the forum already knows. It just confirms it again

Jan 2020
I worked for M$ for ten years building OS's and Flight Simulator. I know what software and game development looks like and CGI has demonstrated the worst version of it I have ever seen. There are those who stand behind Chris Roberts and then there are those who know his history. He was fired from M$ because he spent funds on making movies instead of game development...

And some slightly more verifiable statements by devs:

Aug 2015 - Dan Rosenthal [Bethesda]
And suddenly I don't feel like the worst producer in the world anymore.

March 2016 - Rob Irving [Origin / CIG etc]
Rob Irving: He always is going to probably go bigger than he should. But, you know, this comes from me with my producer hat on. It's like: "At some point you got to stop man". That's my producer hat...
Matt Barton: So really what he needs is, he needs somebody to tell him: "Cut this, cut this, cut this..."...
Rob Irving: That's what he doesn't want though. And that's what, you know, that's the thing that he built for himself with that, with this campaign is, you know, I get to do whatever I want. And that's, sometimes that's not a good thing, you know?
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PLwo3YCY_8&t=378s

March 2016 - George Broussard [Duke Nukem Forever etc]
Listened to the SC part. Anyone who works in games can tell that 1) Rob knows what he's talking about 2) he's being nice and 3) the game is out of control and will never ship to high standards :) it would be easy for common gamers to dismiss his comments or spin them, because they have no idea what they are talking about.

July 2016 - Richard Lyle [Origin etc]
...I worked with Chris at Origin and I didn't even bother backing in the first place. He's more interested in making movies than games I'm afraid.

Aug 2016 - Mike Wikan [id Software etc]
It's Clown Car leadership over there. If I was Chris I would just be too embarrassed to even talk to fans at this point.

Sept 2016 - Jason Bentley [Destiny 2 etc]
Oh yeah; he's the text book definition of the "wouldn't it be cool if..." Project manager.

Things are one-offs with no re-useability, programming today was yesterday's new idea and reasonable trade-offs are rejected because 'I have high standards'.
It's this kind of management that actually prevents projects from shipping on time and really pushes away highly competent self-motivated employees

Jan 2017 - Martin 'Wiz' Anward [Stellaris / Paradox]
I am pretty smug, but honestly Star Citizen is just kind of really funny. It's the perfect amalgamation of so many things that are wrong about the games industry, and whenever it's brought up in any gathering of game devs it's good for a few laughs and stories about terrible bosses

December 2017 - Ryan Elam [Planetside 2 etc]
I think it has literally become impossible to make this into a game. Making an MMO is hard enough with out the added restriction of needing to make SURE that HOWEVER your gameplay works, it keeps the value of a bunch of crap that it shipped with. You either completely bone the people you've been boning for the last several years in favor of new players, or you resign yourself to having no new players and just continuously trying to milk the existing ones... which don't really mind you not having a game in the first place apparently. So, this is just an infinite cycle of bullcrap till some class action suit ends it.

May 2018 - James Berg [Mirror's Edge etc]
I backed this way back when, but it’s years past when I expected to see anything meaningful come from this. I’d love to be wrong – I want to believe in the game, but the persistent level of scope explosion (forget scope ‘creep’) makes that unlikely.

---

There's plenty more on both piles ;)

(Here's a convenient list of public dev criticisms for those who want it though).

Just for fun, here are:

Some entirely unverifiable things that have been said about CR & CIG:

Sept 2015

Nov 2015

May 2016 - E3 2nd-hand gossip

April 2016

April 2018

Oct 2018

May 2019

Jan 2020

And some slightly more verifiable statements by devs:

Aug 2015 - Dan Rosenthal [Bethesda]

March 2016 - Rob Irving [Origin / CIG etc]

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PLwo3YCY_8&t=378s

March 2016 - George Broussard [Duke Nukem Forever etc]

July 2016 - Richard Lyle [Origin etc]

Aug 2016 - Mike Wikan [id Software etc]

Sept 2016 - Jason Bentley [Destiny 2 etc]

Jan 2017 - Martin 'Wiz' Anward [Stellaris / Paradox]

December 2017 - Ryan Elam [Planetside 2 etc]

May 2018 - James Berg [Mirror's Edge etc]

---

There's plenty more on both piles ;)

(Here's a convenient list of public dev criticisms for those who want it though).

Wow, you really put effort into that one.

Some of the ones about not explaining things to Chris really do speak as to CR's type. He doesn't want to know, he doesn't want to show he doesn't understand, people should just do as they are told.

Anonymous Digital Anvil Dev said:
He’s a poser perfectionist who has no idea how to describe what he actually wants, but he’s more then happy to tell someone that something they’ve been slaving over for days (from his last feedback session) is not what he is looking for. Thus, sending that person spiraling for another batch of days and nights trying to come up with something he will like. Any CIG people reading this and having some ptsd from the description?

This one immediately made me think of this guy...

Source: https://i.imgur.com/D9Lz3gF.mp4

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ00_W975zE&t=324s

Only the Pokemon collectors, the Raft is a fairly useless purchase or CCU option with only 96 scu of cargo space. There are cheaper alternatives that carry far more cargo like the Freelancer max with 120 scu...as a dedicated medium hauler, it's far outshone by the multirole competitors like the Connies or MSR...or even the other dedicated haulers like the Hull A, B or C.

When folk are buying ships it's to fill a specific purpose in whatever role they chose to go for...or as an addition to broaden the scope of any small fleet. The Raft doesn't fit any of those functions...it has novelty value only. I suspect the Raft was originally designed as a medium refinery ship but after Ci¬G gave the Starfarer it's original function back as medium refinery/refueller, they had nowhere to go with the hull design so added 3 underslung 32 scu droppable cargo boxes in place of the refinery....that's only my personal guess, but other than that, I can't see a purpose or market for such a poor load weight hauler.
Since when has it being useless ever stopped citizens from buying it ?!? ;)

How is the server performance holding up with the increased traffic?
Not going to lie, I only go in once every free fly event to see how its doing and well... accepting I need to start building a trench system for the incoming quoted responses I'm going to get, it seems a lot more optimised and playable to me now, to the point I'm running it well on my gaming laptop.

Still wouldn't buy it in this state though.

Wow, you really put effort into that one.

Some of the ones about not explaining things to Chris really do speak as to CR's type. He doesn't want to know, he doesn't want to show he doesn't understand, people should just do as they are told.
He's one of those people who wants the job title rather than the job. He wants the glory of being seen as a visionary genius, without having any of the talent or skills to back it up. He's only achieved what he has through effective salesmanship, i.e. arrogance, ego and lying.

Wow, really. Looks like CR wants to turn SC into second life.
Here's a somewhat older (2009) user comment about a review of second life:

Sounds familiar?
Oh wow

Can't believe this Sims 3 rip off clone is still alive and kicking! Particularly given all the kinky **** that goes on in there.

Maybe I should be scandalized there are actually STILL lonely and desperate society pariahs out there who insist on shelling out irl currency for this "game" :eek:

Wonder if Rod Humble managed to get himself fired and/or has wound up sharing a bunk bed with Bubba yet.....

Last edited:
Must be time for the mental gymnastics awards again.

Guy dies 4 times while doing delivery missions

uhxrw7vp3t181.jpg

Apparently all his fault and not the game's.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
A backer dares to demand more mission content along with all the new ships: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...hread/ok-cig-new-rule-sugge-no-demanded-by-me

Fair? The thing is, no one even needs to "demand" anything.

It suffices to just hold Chris Roberts and CIG accountable for what they have already promised in exchange for all those 400+ millions paid for and counting so far. Like this 7 years ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2nb3a0 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2nb3a0/interview_with_tony_zurovec_talks_procedural/

For Star Citizen, we’re going to try and do something a lot different. Designers are going to hand-craft individual mission components, and then specify how those pieces can be customized at run-time and linked to others to form coherent chains that effectively represent small, unique stories consisting of multiple sequential mission objectives. Responding to a simple distress call, then, becomes a lot more interesting because – just like in real life – you never know what might unfold as a result. Prevent a freighter from being destroyed by brigands, and you might collect your reward and leave. Search the computer core of the attackers’ ship, though, and you might ascertain the location of one of their remote outposts. Infiltrate that base and you might learn where they stash their stolen booty and make off with a fortune…if you can figure out how to defeat or draw away the heavily armed ship defending it. I think that the end result is going to be considerably greater than the sum of the individual pieces, and provide players with a much more diverse and interesting world to explore, where there are a practically infinite supply of threads that, when pulled, can dynamically instantiate long strands of a story that the player can choose to pursue or ignore as they see fit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom