Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Don't care if you think it's a valid argument or not, CIG says it's an Alpha, the website says it's an Alpha. Conclusion: It's an Alpha wether you like it or not.
And that's the argument CIG is counting on people using. SC's "alpha" status bears no relationship to its actual development state, it's just a marketing label to absolve them from criticism as they continue to sell both the game and dlc. In 2017 Roberts also said:

Chris Roberts said:
I feel like they're just labels - people still think of the old way [of making games], like my past games. We'd talk about a game for years, we'd show it, but no one would have their hands on it 'til it was out. There was an obsession with 'when will it get released'. Even with those [traditional boxed] games now, they get patched, they add things, make things better over time. The way I look at it is, if you've supported Star Citizen you can download and play 2.63 which is a mini, early-stage version of this universe and play around. There's a game experience there - it's not got nearly as much as we'll have in the final game but you can go and see how ships feel, find out what you think, and get your voice heard in our community as we make it better. It's like saying 'hey, we're going to have this really fancy hotel, but if you want to stay in this wing which is finished but maybe all the bits aren't quite working - there's no hot water yet - you can'.

You're getting in there at a much cheaper rate than when it's finished and you can maybe help us define how we operate. I think even if we said, this is now past beta, the paradigm for online stuff just doesn't work that way now. You see it all the time. League of Legends continues to add new heroes, even more traditional stuff like World of Warcraft has revisions every year. Even if we said, 'we're released', we're never going to stop adding content. That's how online games die. If you look at EVE Online now, it looks nothing like the game which launched. GTA Online, too, it originally launched on PS3 and Xbox 360 which aren't even supported now, they're constantly adding new stuff to it. Maybe people need to shift their point of view - the way I look at it on Star Citizen, if you get involved it's not going to be completely polished or finished but you'll get your voice heard. It's not for everyone, of course - you can always take a back seat for a year or two and reassess it.

People like you use "alpha" as if someday there's going to be a hard cut-off when it will transition to a noticeably different, and better, state. It's not going to happen, even Roberts says so. You're stuck in an outdated paradigm and not understanding Roberts' revolutionary approach to game development, where you pay him to develop the game, not deliver it.

So you're saying the server doesn't have to keep track of Trains at LZs, NPCs, delivery boxes and other physical objects?

You're right, it does as CIG have designed it. The problem is, that's a lot of load on the server, which only needs to be there when there is someone present. I get the feeling CIG keep those trains running even when someone isn't there.... i could be wrong on this, but it would be like Chris to require this. After all, they want to simulate NPCs doing stuff even when players are not there.

You're right, it does as CIG have designed it. The problem is, that's a lot of load on the server, which only needs to be there when there is someone present. I get the feeling CIG keep those trains running even when someone isn't there.... i could be wrong on this, but it would be like Chris to require this. After all, they want to simulate NPCs doing stuff even when players are not there.
They don't. Thats what server object container streaming is. The problem is someone is almost always at one of these LZs or doing a bunker mission which degrades server performance by a lot.

Oh and if you've ever wondered what kind of PCs SC devs run the game on:
unknown (1).png

i9-10900K CPU (3.7GHz), 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 GPU

So, its not always dealing with that stuff, but because people are always there it is always dealing with it?

Hmm....
It's not 100% of the time dealing with stuff no, but whenever someone accepts a mission the server will need to spawn and handle NPCs, if someone gets to new babbage, even flies over it the NPCs will load in because of that huge streaming bubble. And even with 50 players with so many system locations it happens a lot.

It's not 100% of the time dealing with stuff no, but whenever someone accepts a mission the server will need to spawn and handle NPCs, if someone gets to new babbage, even flies over it the NPCs will load in because of that huge streaming bubble. And even with 50 players with so many system locations it happens a lot.

And yet, somehow, ED handles this....

But let's roll with what you are saying. You're basically saying server meshing won't help anyway.. Servers are still going to poo their pants whenever someone goes somewhere and does something...

But let's roll with what you are saying. You're basically saying server meshing won't help anyway.. Servers are still going to poo their pants whenever someone goes somewhere and does something...
I cannot wait for the first time when two Operating Legatus captains, each in their civilian Javelin full of player-like NPCs, and both on the same shard, try to quantum themselves for a quick battle to the same location, only to learn they have been microinstanced into parallel sub-universes the way Planetside 2 does it, and thus cannot see one another.

I cannot wait for the first time when two Operating Legatus captains, each in their civilian Javelin full of player-like NPCs, and both on the same shard, try to quantum themselves for a quick battle to the same location, only to learn they have been microinstanced into parallel sub-universes the way Planetside 2 does it, and thus cannot see one another.
They obviously have to buy an Idris...
Or do they? It's so difficult to remember the whaling ranks.

Because ED Is heavily instanced. It's a completely different networking architecture. ED doesn't have trains or physics objects to care about. Just players. Well, NPCs too but only in very specific instances.
No i'm not saying that. They'll divide the simulation load between servers. Which will vastly improve server performance.

NPC count currently does not seem to matter at all. LZs in Stanton do way more than 50 NPCs at a time so purely NPC wise there wouldn't be a problem.
Also wouldn't the replication layer replicate the Javelin to the other sub universe?

Because ED Is heavily instanced. It's a completely different networking architecture. ED doesn't have trains or physics objects to care about. Just players. Well, NPCs too but only in very specific instances.
ED doesn't have instances in the way most other titles have instances i.e. there are no geographical areas that deal with players and npc entities when entered or exited by players, or that get replicated on servers when the player limit is reached. Rather every player has their own network bubble around them and when within the proximity of another player, those bubbles get merged together in an ad hoc manner and then seperated into two bubbles again when they move apart. As other players get within range, the merged bubbles increase in population to a "blob" if you like, until a limit is reached and the ad-hoc PtoP network becomes "unhealthy", after which new players will form new ad-hoc networks "blobs" invisible largely to the first (there is some interaction on the backend). The merged network (used to be called an island by Frontier - not sure if that's still the case) can be anywhere in the star system and there can be many in any one location, based on player population density. They are completely independant of location within a star system and also from objects, from stars, down to pebbles (and NPCs), which are "spawned" into the bubbles if that bubble happens to be in the vicinity. There are exceptions e.g. light source from the nearest star and gravity frame of reference for physics calculations from the nearest star, planet or moon.
As for physics objects - all objects in ED are "physics objects", as players are walking inside stations, which rotate about their own axis, which then orbit moons (using physics based calculations), which orbit planets, which orbit stars, which orbit each other in multi-star systems, all within one game space (system) which gets loaded for each of the 400 billion star systems . All in realtime (you can timelapse to show this if you have the patience) and all using standard physics based orbital mechanics, that match what we see in the cosmos in real life around us.
One of the few times physics is "broken" (although it still obeys maths based logical rules) is in supercruise, which is still within the coordinates of the star system, but is kept seperated, as the speeds at which players travel there are incompatible with those in "normal space" e.g. there is no point performing any calculations between players in supercruise and normal for say collsiion detection as by the time you check for it, the supercruise player is huge distances away from the "normal" space player. However, some checks are still carried out in case somebody has to drop to normal space from supercruise e.g. a fuel rat dropping from supercruise to a stricken player in normal using the wing beacon.
Star Citizen, from what I have seen, has a large 3D map centered around a light point source (star) hosted by a server and populated with static planets and moon objects around which players can move by themselves or drive essentially mini-maps (ships) around, until a limit of entities or players is reached, whereupon a new server is required.
The shortcomings of this approach is that player population forces CIG into provisioning more and more compute/server architecture for more copies of Stanton for each 50 player occurance. From what I can gather from "server meshing" is that CIG will need more and more compute to do the same thing by either subdividing the big map statically (rather than making more copies) and hope they have predicted where the player load will be, or if spun up dynamically hope they can manage the entity management challenges when that happens and it can be quick enough not to be noticed (not likely). You'll also still be limited to 50 players per server and you'll unlikely be able to see other players or entities being handled by other servers across the geographical/server boundaries (you may be able to do text/speech based comms in the same way hopefully a lot of folks use Discord outside of their chosen MP games).

Because ED Is heavily instanced. It's a completely different networking architecture.
[SC] will divide the simulation load between servers.

And then admit they don’t have a solution to X+1 players going to a single location. And instance it, like every other game does. (Or blockade the area once X number of players get there. Which no games seem to do. Because that would be a terrible gameplay experience…)

ED doesn't have trains or physics objects to care about. Just players. Well, NPCs too but only in very specific instances.

Correction: ED doesn’t have trains…

NPC count currently does not seem to matter at all. LZs in Stanton do way more than 50 NPCs at a time so purely NPC wise there wouldn't be a problem.

That’s not the norm, nor is it what the SC devs say. IE they hope that improved networking will eventually allow for "denser numbers of AI and player characters"

Also wouldn't the replication layer replicate the Javelin to the other sub universe?

Lollllll

God I hope you’re trolling bobby 😁

Anyway, on with your nonsense :rolleyes:

Of course an experienced starship captain thinks in 4 dimensions so that he appears behind his opponent's ship when he resolids* into the same instance

*well it's not "resurfaces"

1642981677970.png

Top Bottom