Star Citizen Thread v6

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Brett C

Frontier
Hello all,

Our previous SC thread began to cause some slower than desired page load-up times. As such, it's time for a new thread for Star Citizen discussions. If you want to discuss Star Citizen, this is the place to do so! [up]

As always, the following rules are in effect for this thread (in addition to the per-forum rules here).

1. If you cannot debate the subject, and decide to debate, troll, flame, harass, stalk the user/person - your post(s) and all follow up posts will be removed and moderated.
  2. This thread is for the discussion of Star Citizen only. Off-topic discussions will be removed.
  3. Moderation will be dealt with by the Forum manager and volunteer moderators. There is no need to publically call for moderation. Simply report any posts for review by clicking the icon.
  4. Posting of offensive, degrading, or mocking content will not be tolerated.

Last edited:
Fine, lets discuss a buggy tech demo. :p

And for those that won't I have /ignore! [big grin]

Still holding out hope that 3.0 at least approaches what we saw in the highly scripted stage demo, orbital flight, descent and pootling about in a rover. Surely they can pull that off.

Last edited:
The issue with CIG/RSI plus personalities attracting negative and positive scrutiny arises from their decision to make their company and personnel the centerpiece of their marketing campaign. It boils down to "we are better than every other game dev company, and Chris Roberts our CEO has the golden touch". Draw attention to that and people will discuss it.

Do that whilst systematically failing to deliver for a few years and people will discuss it increasingly negatively.

Make outrageous claims that you are going to "save PC gaming" then flounder around looking totally out of your depth and people will point and laugh.

Last edited:
Fine, lets discuss a buggy tech demo. :p

And for those that won't I have /ignore! [big grin]

Still holding out hope that 3.0 at least approaches what we saw in the highly scripted stage demo, orbital flight, descent and pootling about in a rover. Surely they can pull that off.

There are enough marketing materials involving lunar landings to suspect that CIG is confident about their ability to pull it off. Rovers should be easy, as there is a golf cart in hangar and ArcCorp modules, and besides, first Crysis had playable vehicles. One thing I'm not sure about are the transitions between space, orbit and planetary surfaces. While the orbit->planet was shown few times after the demo, there is still no marketing video I have seen that shows travel between outer space and orbit, there was one that had a fade to black between them.

Last edited:
I'll have to watch it again but there was a video of a ship coming in, passing a station in orbit then proceeding down to a port on the surface. I don't remember any kind of transition. But a lot of it was shown from outside the ship but I don't know if that was a second person filming or what the person flying the ship was seeing.

Have to watch that again.

While the orbit->planet was shown few times after the demo, there is still no marketing video I have seen that shows travel between outer space and orbit, there was one that had a fade to black between them.

Unusually for Roberts, they seem to have been very tight-lipped on the subject of just how seamless the transition will be in 3.0, which I don't take to be a positive sign for anyone expecting the experience to be like the purpose-built marketing demos CIG have been pumping out for the last couple of years (e.g. Pupil to Planet, Gamescom '16). I am fully expecting a non-interactive cutscene or other smoke and mirrors as you drop into atmosphere, if not the totally separate planetside module that has been suggested once or twice. It will be hand-waved away as "placeholder", or "no one complained when ME:A did it" or similar, as well as the inevitable "CIG never promised it would be seamless".

Last edited:
Unusually for Roberts, they seem to have been very tight-lipped on the subject of just how seamless the transition will be in 3.0, which I don't take to be a positive sign for anyone expecting the experience to be like the purpose-built marketing demos CIG have been pumping out for the last couple of years (e.g. Pupil to Planet, Gamescom '16). I am fully expecting a non-interactive cutscene or other smoke and mirrors as you drop into atmosphere, if not the totally separate planetside module that has been suggested once or twice. It will be hand-waved away as "placeholder", or "no one complained when ME:A did it" or similar, as well as the inevitable "CIG never promised it would be seamless".

Restricted planetary instances formed by impassable terrain, no external doors in the ground stations, big fence all the way round and a cutscene to access them. Press <<use>> to enter atmosphere and land.

Thank goodness we are still here, Thanks for the redirection, guys (and Boblove)
I thought we had been censored for a moment.

So as it is page 1 let me start off as I mean to go on, for any new folk who stumble in

I'm a bit wooo a bit waa about SC.

I hope it turns out to the a fantastic game and my guess is that it will. But CIG need to pull their socks up and show some progress.

3.0 will be an important marker, whenever it comes out. But for me no more money in, no refunds I will let my bet ride and see how it goes

thanks Brett

Last edited:
Press <<use>> twice to skip unskippable 18 minute loadin... cinematic exposition and go direct to our convenient Item 2.0 cash store

:D

Asp, I see no evidence for your 'jokey slur' on the hard work of hundreds of hardworking men and women who are trying to produce a game. Please think about their feelings and present facts and reasoned arguments

Last edited:
Asp, I see no evidence for your 'jokey slur' on the hard work of hundreds of hardworking men and women who re trying to produce a game. Please think about their feelings and present facts and reasoned arguments

As evidence I present the Star Citizen logs themselves.

Have you seen the loading times?

Code:
[CSessionManager::OnClientConnected] Connected!
[CSessionManager::OnClientSpawned] Spawned!
Times - Lobby: 1.722s connect: 1.728s connected: 26.037s Spawned: 33.409s

Last edited:
The issue with CIG/RSI plus personalities attracting negative and positive scrutiny arises from their decision to make their company and personnel the centerpiece of their marketing campaign. It boils down to "we are better than every other game dev company, and Chris Roberts our CEO has the golden touch". Draw attention to that and people will discuss it.

Do that whilst systematically failing to deliver for a few years and people will discuss it increasingly negatively.

Make outrageous claims that you are going to "save PC gaming" then flounder around looking totally out of your depth and people will point and laugh.

BOB,
On failing to deliver for a few years, Even the Torch Bearer for the critics, says that no one appreciates how long these complex games take to produce, implying 5 years as a minimum. The Torch Bearer also said ( 2 or 3 years ago) that what they want to produce would take at least 150,000,000. They have that now so GO CIG GO

Last edited:
As evidence I present the Star Citizen logs themselves.

Have you seen the loading times?

Code:
[CSessionManager::OnClientConnected] Connected!
[CSessionManager::OnClientSpawned] Spawned!
Times - Lobby: 1.722s connect: 1.728s connected: 26.037s Spawned: 33.409s
Explain these figures for your less well informed reader it adds up to just over a minute
18 mins you quoted?

Last edited:
Explain these figures for your less well informed reader it adds up to just over a minute
18 mins you quoted?

Have a look for yourself in C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public\Game.log

18 Minutes is a complete fabrication on my part. I don't think it'll be as extreme as that, but I certainly don't expect an instantaneous and seamless transition as so many have claimed will happen.

Restricted planetary instances formed by impassable terrain, no external doors in the ground stations, big fence all the way round and a cutscene to access them. Press <<use>> to enter atmosphere and land.
We were specifically told we could land anywhere we wanted, IIRC. They will find it hard to wiggle out of that one if they don't deliver.

https://youtu.be/C1wX1Kk3Ajg?t=9m21s

He clearly says "anywhere" on that moon. I was concerned about that circular structure in orbit though. I hope those aren't points of entry that you must pass through to get to the surface.

Last edited:
BOB,
On failing to deliver for a few years, Even the Torch Bearer for the critics, says that no one appreciates how long these complex games take to produce, implying 5 years as a minimum. The Torch Bearer also said ( 2 or 3 years ago) that what they want to produce would take at least 150,000,000. They have that now so GO CIG GO

[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]It doesn't matter what you or I or even the good Doctor himself thinks about timescales, because we are not the ones flogging stuff to people based on our unrealistic guesses at how long it will take. However in the words of the man himself :

Chris Roberts 20th October 2012
"I’ve been working with a small team over the course of the past year to get the early prototyping and production done."
"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale."

Source : https://www.themittani.com/features/exclusive-interview-star-citizens-chris-roberts[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Have a look for yourself in C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public\Game.log

18 Minutes is a complete fabrication on my part. I don't think it'll be as extreme as that, but I certainly don't expect an instantaneous and seamless transition as so many have claimed will happen.

Asp
I know it was a fabrication and that not all untruths are lies (hopefully you will agree that at a later date).
Not everyone sees it that way especially, when the well meaning or otherwise fabrication of information may directly, unfairly impact on the success of a project that involves the jobs/livelihoods/mortgages/ schools that children go to and their futures.
Just the facts please girls and boys

Asp, I see no evidence for your 'jokey slur' on the hard work of hundreds of hardworking men and women who are trying to produce a game. Please think about their feelings and present facts and reasoned arguments

The fact that the game is being made by humans is not enough to shield it from criticism. Edit: Or jokes.

Last edited:
Asp
I know it was a fabrication and that not all untruths are lies (hopefully you will agree that at a later date).
Not everyone sees it that way especially, when the well meaning or otherwise fabrication of information may directly, unfairly impact on the success of a project that involves the jobs/livelihoods/mortgages/ schools that children go to and their futures.
Just the facts please girls and boys

Indeed. I'd be interested in a direct comparison with your Star Citizen log file. If we can agree to a time and server, we can both log in, attempt some testing, and gather relevant factual data.

I'll even stream it for the enjoyment of anyone who cares :D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom