Star Citizen Thread v6

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
He seems to be a perfectionist and someone just needs to grab him by the shoulders and tell me when its good enough to ship otherwise he won't ship anything at all.

It's easy to claim to be a perfectionist when you haven't delivered a finished product. Eventually there will need to be finished version of SC, because that's the one thing that has been promised (implicitly, when they successfully reached their Kickstarter goal), and at that point the "it's only pre-alpha", "they've been building the company", "you don't understand game development" excuses will no longer apply.

Or the company will fold, and Roberts' reputation as a perfectionist will remain intact, along with his reputation as a failed game developer and worthless manager.

It is supposed to be a type of streaming of the world around you, like a more complex version of what the Elder Scrolls games have done from Morrowind and onwards. It is actually supposed to do the exact opposite of what the name suggests: to be very tiny and to not use “maps” in any conventional sense at all. If done correctly and cleverly, it could even completely do away with stuff like physics grids, “network LoD” and — to some extent — even instancing. But as Asp mentions, they're not doing that — they're making a very daft pre-fetch/force-run process that almost creates more problems than it solves, just to create an illusion of something pointless.

Also, Archering time…
Here is what the 3.0 schedule page says about Megamap and streaming item/object containers which will include planets as containers (comments about mega-map questionable working state and utility not-withstanding);
Crusader Converted to Object Container Setup
With the transition to Object Containers, the Crusader map was completely re-designed. Each Point of Interest is now an object container laid out via the Solar System Editor. This is in preparation for Object Container streaming and seamless transitions from different POI’s and between Star Systems. Mission Flowgraphs are converted over to use Subsumption and the new Mission System.
Mega Map for Persistent Universe
Mega Map tech (also used in Crusader for seamless loading between different gamemodes) is now possible in the new PU map, which is setup in the Solar System Editor. This allows the utilization of Mega Map technology.
Hair won't be "hand crafted" per character but similar to what ED does:
Shared hair assets (instead of bespoke asset per head) for character creation
Still seem to be claiming Amazon work as their own- they could word this so the origins are clear and how it affected whatever money CIG spent on this type stuff previously:
Diffusion is our second-generation cloud-oriented back-end service architecture. It dramatically simplifies the effort required to implement, maintain, and interact with services, while simultaneously providing major enhancements in the areas of scalability and redundancy.
ETA is 16th June

If the game is as broken as 2.n then there could still be fallout- depending on how broken. But if they deliver on most of this stuff 3.0, will be interesting and likely satisfy most backers as sufficient progress.

Derek Smart was 100% spot-on in his first blog; CR could not deliver the game on the time and budget he claimed for years that he could do; and he also did not have the tech to do it at that time.

Whether the project collapses due to financial distress after wasting so much time and backer money is still TBD. It sure would be interesting to know how much of the $150 MUSD has been flushed vs. actually represented in what they deliver in 3.0.

Does anyone have any info on how jumps between systems will work? Will it be like the early demo where the pilot had to fly through some worm-hole fantasy creation? Or will it be more like the point-to-point QT in-system seen in 2.n?

Does anyone have any info on how jumps between systems will work? Will it be like the early demo where the pilot had to fly through some worm-hole fantasy creation? Or will it be more like the point-to-point QT in-system seen in 2.n?

Considering we're years from 4.0, which is where they plan to add a second system, noone knows. Probably CIG doesnt know either yet considering how distant it is.

PERSISTENT DATA REFACTOR
The expanding capabilities of persistent data to support gameplay features in 3.0.0 has required the Network team to work on this refactor
ETA is 19th June
What in the world does this even mean?

What in the world does this even mean?

It means they still have no idea what “refactor” means. Or “persistence.”

…and quite possibly not “data” either.

Less snarky:
It means that they've realised that to add any actual persistence to the game, they will have to store all kinds of world, character, and object state variables on the server and transmit them in a low-impact way to the players as part of the world set-up (especially if they want to stream that world in continuously during the play session). Consequently, they will have to restructure their databases, redesign the encoding scheme for their serialisation, and tweak the server-client acknowledgement processes to ensure that the world isn't being updated, delivered, synced, or rendered half-baked. Because this wasn't something they knew from day 1. Also, it entails no refactoring whatsoever at any point in the process.

Last edited:

Those are two totally different flight modes.

Much like the two modes of flight in ED's FSD.

Intra-system uses what is currently seen in the Beta and is called Quantum Drive. Maximum speed is .20C or there abouts.

Inter-system uses jump points which have a wormhole (which isn't fantasy, they are a theoretical solution of the Einstein field maths which can be shown, mathematically, to link points in the current definition of space-time).

By the way, SC's fast travel plans seem quite similiar to I-War's 2 implementation, which had the inertialess, instant acceleration, sub-light drive for the intra-system travel (with the same technology being used for shields) and another drive for FTL travel between fixed points.

By the way, SC's fast travel plans seem quite similiar to I-War's 2 implementation, which had the inertialess, instant acceleration, sub-light drive for the intra-system travel (with the same technology being used for shields) and another drive for FTL travel between fixed points.

Kinda-sorta. The LDS system in I-War fast as light (or faster). The Capsule Drive is seemingly for much further distances, but doesn't use wormholes, rather it can be used at Lagrange Points in systems.

Keep in mind that the Q-drive takes some time to spool up. Different drives have different spool up times, different Q-drive fuel consumption rates, different ships have different size Q-drive fuel tanks, so there will be quite some variability in Q-Drive travel in game.

It seems most space sim style games have the three modes of travel. I have no issues with the implementation in each of the three discussed games to date. Makes sense to me from a science standpoint.

Inter-system uses jump points which have a wormhole (which isn't fantasy, they are a theoretical solution of the Einstein field maths which can be shown, mathematically, to link points in the current definition of space-time).

I think the point was that what they demoed was pure fantasy — it's a “wormhole” in the same way as what was in Wing Commander was a “quasar,” and the obvious inspiration was from something like Andromeda's slipstreams. It's also that the slipstreams had some kind of nonsensical gameplay associated with them, as opposed to just… well… getting there.

At any rate, we don't even know how travel between systems will work at this point. An ancient concept video that they've never revisited isn't exactly good guidance for a feature that's a year or five in the future. :p

Right. I used to think the Q-Drive was a loading screen, but I've watched some videos with people flying past a planet and stopping in the middle of nowhere. Is it controllable? I mean can you steer in q-drive?

I saw I-War 1&2 on sale the other week. I wanted them, but I was concerned about messing up their places of honor in my nostalgia. For me nothing ruins a happy memory quicker than trying to reproduce it.

We'll see how 3.0 turns out when it finally hits the servers (guessing July/Aug), I do have to say though... it would appear that someone finally got it through the skulls of the higher ups that the house will keep falling apart on all sides if the foundations haven't been properly nailed in place. The schedule so far seems to be quite a bit more focused on building and fixing actual game tech and less on useless fluff and shinies.

Who knows, if the patch brings even a single placeholder profession we might be getting our first glimpses of the actual game in the near future. ^^

Who knows, if the patch brings even a single placeholder profession we might be getting our first glimpses of the actual game in the near future. ^^

It's entirely possible!

Personally I'm looking forward to it. They've had ample time for improvement, and surely at least some of all that dev effort has to have been worthwhile.

Right. I used to think the Q-Drive was a loading screen, but I've watched some videos with people flying past a planet and stopping in the middle of nowhere. Is it controllable? I mean can you steer in q-drive?

I saw I-War 1&2 on sale the other week. I wanted them, but I was concerned about messing up their places of honor in my nostalgia. For me nothing ruins a happy memory quicker than trying to reproduce it.

Q-Drive is point to point, so there is no steering, but you can drop out of Q-drive any place along its path. And you can actually see ships in Q-drive when you are in standard Newtonian flight (for lack of a better term).

Q-Drive is point to point, so there is no steering, but you can drop out of Q-drive any place along its path. And you can actually see ships in Q-drive when you are in standard Newtonian flight (for lack of a better term).

Well, theoretically. Every time I have attempted it my fighter either continued on its way up to the border of the map and fell apart, or just fell apart immediately.

Brings back memories of when you tried to make a jump in ED just outside a station and exploded against an invisible wall. :)

Has been a while for me since my last visit. Has anything happened or still the same circular discussions based on far fetched facts going on (the game is good/the game will be good vs. the game is bad/the game doesn't exist)?

Has been a while for me since my last visit. Has anything happened or still the same circular discussions based on far fetched facts going on (the game is good/the game will be good vs. the game is bad/the game doesn't exist)?

I'm not sure for how long you were away, but we have a 3.0 release schedule now, sow we can have all those pointless discussions based on that.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom