General / Off-Topic Star Wars - Raise of Skywalker 🤪

... So much so that now people are starting to realise that the prequels, for all its faults "wasn't that bad"...

Yeah, no. People used to think RotJ was bad until the prequels but no one is falling for the claim that Jar-jar "wasn't that bad". Oh, and young oh so annoying Anakin. And Sand...It gets everywhere... :p

The Last Jedi was so bad that I don't even remember how it ended exactly.

When it ended something felt very wrong and it took me a while of reflection to figure it.
I just felt kinda angry and patronised when i left the cinema.
Red Letter Media... 'You may not have even noticed.... but your brain did'.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie.

Never thought I'd say it but I'm pretty much ambivalent toward SW movies these days.

Then you are in a better spot than I am.
I am completely indifferent now.
I have not even watched any of the Disney Star Wars attempts at the cinema, and I am not going to.
I watched Solo mostly on fast forward and still I have the feeling I wasted my time..

So, I just happened to find myself watching a Youtube review of "The Rise of Skywalker" and something occured to me....

Who's the "Skywalker" mentioned in the title?

Kylo Renn is a Solo but, even if we consider that he's a Skywalker on his mother's side, he doesn't really "rise" in this movie.
Sure, he turns away from the dark-side but then he carks it so I'm not sure that's a headline arc.

I guess everybody assumed the title referred to Rey but now we know she's actually a Palpatine (somehow).

Seems like the title doesn't really fit any character in the movie.
It's like, maybe, they came up with the title and then decided to make Rey a Palpatine.

So, I just happened to find myself watching a Youtube review of "The Rise of Skywalker" and something occured to me....

Kylo Renn is a Solo but, even if we consider that he's a Skywalker on his mother's side, he doesn't really "rise" in this movie.
Sure, he turns away from the dark-side but then he carks it so I'm not sure that's a headline arc.

I guess everybody assumed the title referred to Rey but now we know she's actually a Palpatine (somehow).

It's like, maybe, they came up with the title and then decided to make Rey a Palpatine.
Nah, if you watch the film it's clear. Still doesn't solve the main (other) problem of the film not having a single vision.
Is it? Let's see ...
Anakin Skywalker - Died at the end of ROTJ
Luke Skywalker - Died at the end of TLJ
Leia - Married Han Solo, had a child - Died in ROS
Ben Solo - Died in ROS
Rey Palpatine - Not a Skywalker

Last edited:
Yeah, but I don't want to spoil.
The film's been out a while. If you want to avoid spoilers, you have to ask how long you wait until it's ok to not worry about spoilers.
It's been over three months, so I say that if anyone still hasn't seen it, then tough. I'm not waiting forever.

Well by the looks of it, even George Lucas is not very happy, but the cat is out of the bag, only a reboot can now fix this mess.

Nah, if you watch the film it's clear. Still doesn't solve the main (other) problem of the film not having a single vision.

I watched the film.

If there's some character, who's a Skywalker that does some rising, that I've forgotten it's probably 'cos the movie was fairly forgetable.

Personally, I didn't think TROS was that bad.
I think it just suffered 'cos it had to spend so much time fixing all the damage Rian Johnson did in the previous movie.

Yeah, lack of a single vision was one of the issues. The problem with the prequels was all one vision of a guy that had lost the plot.

Ive not seen it yet, but its on Disney + now so i will be watching tonight. (i already know the movie is a hot mess and i dont expect to like it)
But from what i understand Ray takes the name Skywalker at the end?
The name Skywalker will become a kind of moniker. Im sure Disney hope to use that to create more.....

-Side thoughts.
Ive heard that Disney might be in serious money trouble because of the Virus lockdown.. Imagine if Disney sold Starwars to someone with actual vision?
:unsure:

Saw this not long ago. There was exactly one neat thing in this entire silly mess of a film--that scene where Rey is able to pass the lightsaber through her shared connection with Ren. That was actually setup pretty well. Rest of it was crap.

Fortunately, I had just rewatched Highlander 2, which is so phenomenally, incomprehensibly terrible, that it makes everything else seem awesome by comparison.

Top Bottom