Game Discussions Star wars Squadrons

Time to restore order to the Galaxy once more..
latest

As much as EA are the embodiment of evil...I'd dare anyone to say they've never played and enjoyed at least one title they've published ;)
I’ve definitely played, and enjoyed, some EA games. That being said, I haven’t knowingly bought an EA game for about ten years now. I can think of quite a few EA games I would've bought, if they weren’t being published by EA: Mass Effect 3, Sim City, Jedi: Fallen Order, and several of the Dragon Age games immediately come to mind.

Compete in intense 5v5 dogfights, unite with your squadron to tip the scales in monumental fleet battles, and take off in a thrilling Star Wars™ single-player story. Immerse yourself in the pilot’s seat completely with the option to play the entirety of Star Wars™: Squadrons in virtual reality (VR) on PlayStation®4 and PC with cross-play support.

VR & Crossplay :D

trailer being released on the 15th of this month

Only concern is its an EA title

Could attract quite a few elite and star citizen commanders this title.

Only today I heard about this.... and you are exactly right. The fact that this is an EA game is very concerning. EA, with its "surprise mechanics" attitude is the biggest evil in today's gaming industry.

Having said that... the trailer is truly awesome.
If this is the rebirth of X-wing/Tie-fighter, then I will be forced to buy this. I must have it.
I have been waiting for this for so long.

I hope there is a mission editor.. I loved to create mission for x-wing and tie-fighter.

However.. this will not be a first day buy for me. I do not trust EA. First I want to be sure the game is not poisoned with surprise mechanics, or other evils.

Last edited:
I can imagine on launch day lots of star wars fans who know nothing of elite Dangerous, will find themselves getting totally wrecked in by Elite PVP and even PVE veterans.

Lots of salt will be farmed with many an accusation of cheating will be made, when in reality its just experienced space fighter jocks.

you can tell this is an EA title.

Below is from the Steam page. Looks like loot boxes confirmed. Sorry surprise mechanics

Pre-order* STAR WARS™: Squadrons now to get cosmetic items for your New Republic and Imperial pilots and starfighters:
  • New Republic Recruit Flight Suit (Epic)
  • Imperial Ace Flight Suit (Epic)
  • New Republic Recruit Starfighter Skins (Rare)
  • Imperial Ace Starfighter Skins (Rare)
  • New Republic Recruit Decal (Common)
  • Imperial Ace Decal (Common

I don't believe it. That sounds like a true successor to the incredibly awesome X-wing / Tie Fighter games of decades ago. But we can't be getting THAT because this is EA and they would never make something so incredibly great today.

We just can't be that lucky.

Can we????? o_O

It certainly looks nice!

However, if it's multiplayer only I'm not going anywhere near it :D

" take off in a thrilling Star Wars™ single-player story. "

Man, a mission editor would be great. Get a little bit of that Larry Holland feel in there. But yeah, EA has zero interest in letting us play with that stuff with their servers involved. Criswell predicts RPS saying something like: "quick arcade-em-up fun can be had amidst this missed opportunity that doesn't live up to your teenage memories, which kinda makes sense what with it being Star Wars."

Still, good for a few VR sessions with friends!

Last edited:
I don't believe it. That sounds like a true successor to the incredibly awesome X-wing / Tie Fighter games of decades ago. But we can't be getting THAT because this is EA and they would never make something so incredibly great today.

We just can't be that lucky.

Can we????? o_O
(warning: hype rising...)

I'm going to reserve judgement until the game goes live.

While the trailer looks great, I'm already starting to see some worrying signs.

Besides what @The Chairmaker wrote above, there's also this:

Steam said:
The VR mode for this game requires the use of a gamepad or a keyboard and mouse.

If this game doesn't have proper joystick support, it'll be a no buy from me. I still remember Mechwarrior Online, and the difficulties I had translating a game designed with first-person shooter controls in mind, to work properly using my HOTAS. It required about two months of script work to get my CH Hotas to properly play a Mechwarrior game the way it should be... and I was already familiar with CH Product's scripting language. I still haven't found the time to experiment with TARGET's scripting language.

(alert: hype falling...)

Now, if you excuse me, I seem to have an excess of hype flooding my basement.

I don't know... conceptually, it looks like exactly the thing I wanted to see being done with the Star Wars license. On the other hand, it's EA, so how good can it be?

Multiplayer PVP space combat remains a very difficult genre to do right. The good games in the genre usually rely on Newtonian flight or some other implementation of decoupled flight/aim to solve the "two ships endlessly chasing each other's tails in a circle" problem. But FAOFF style flight doesn't tend to result in very "Star Wars" feeling gameplay. Even in ED, which tried to go for some sort of compromise, PVP ended up being an FAOFF fest. It's going to be interesting to see how EA attacks this problem.

Good for EA to recognise, though, how absolutely fundamental VR support is for a cockpit-based space game in the year 2020.

Top Bottom