Game Discussions Star wars Squadrons

I've finally got the X-52 mapped just right. I'm through the campaign on Pilot difficulty and re-starting on Ace. I've played a few multiplayer matches and started unlocking items. This game is certainly filling a PvP itch for me. I'm playing in VR. Unfortunately they still have not implemented TrackIR or any head tracking. That's a huge disappointment. They really need to get that in there. Static flat screen is a big disservice to this game. And VR too long can dry the eyballs.

There is more depth in the combat and the power management than I first thought. You have to constantly be moving power around to keep sub systems charged. On top of that are sub-management tasks. You can direct more shields to front or rear. In a shieldless Tie fighter, you can juggle with converting power instantly from engines to lasers and back. Pilots who start to master this really stand out. The setpieces for battles are great.

There are many customization options with primary and secondary weapons, hull, shield types, engine types. I've only scratch the surface of trying new loadouts. The meta is in flux at the moment.

I think this game is pretty awesome for jumping into VR for some good old Star Wars Space battles.

I've finally got the X-52 mapped just right. I'm through the campaign on Pilot difficulty and re-starting on Ace. I've played a few multiplayer matches and started unlocking items. This game is certainly filling a PvP itch for me. I'm playing in VR. Unfortunately they still have not implemented TrackIR or any head tracking. That's a huge disappointment. They really need to get that in there. Static flat screen is a big disservice to this game. And VR too long can dry the eyballs.

Can it? Just use eye drops then.

TrackIR is 22years old. Good in its day but that was a very long time ago.

You still can't beat a TrackIR or similar head tracking device on practicality and ease of use for everyone though. Keyboards are two centuries old, and they are still doing just fine because they are practical, above all else. A "flight experience" game with full VR support has really no excuse for not having 3DoF-6DoF head tracking as well.

Well, I've been enjoying the heck out of this for the past week. Recent patches seem to have improved things. I was a bit frustrated with the annoyingly different (from Elite) bindings and the numbers not corresponding to anything logical on the X52, that I went and got VoiceAttack and HCS's Alix Galaxy voicepack.

Wow! What an amazing bit of kit. Despite 1,000s of hours of Elite, it never occurred to me to try it for E: D, but it just feels right in Squadrons.

Now, managing power, shields, counters, targeting and more is a simple voice command. Highly recommended, and in VR, even better!

Played a few dogfights - it seems I have yet to see an Empire team win, anyone else? - and the story is progressing. I've done some AI fleet battles, and I have some squad mates getting themselves sorted to hopefully join me next week.

o7

This game seems broken in VR. It has an inexplicable, fixed motion blur (even on 2d mode - might be connected to the fact that it doesn't work properly above 60fps). It is present even on potato settings, when fpsVR reports 89.8 avg fps - blur still exists. You don't notice it that much in the first two missions (because you're busy shooting those pesky rebels / imperial scum), but if you go to training mission and try to fly around the scrapyard... oh mama. The picture splits when turning, there's ghosting everywhere!

That and the fact that VR implementation tries to enable HDR in headset AND it is dependent on the VSync setting tells me that VR was an afterthought here, and it seems it's on par with "mythical Greg" implementation in Elite. That is when it works, it works (mostly), but once you see the flaws, it's frankly horrible.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy flying it. But, the rendering engine is godawful. If they fix the issue with frames above 60fps not being rendered (as demonstrated in this thread also), the game should become a really nice experience. So far I muster all available VR stomach power to try to fly the training mission. The "motion blur effect" is simply horrible.

Yeah, the VR is absolutely terrible on Index. I didn't last longer than 15 minutes. I'm impervious to sim sickness, but this was just an unpleasant mess and it's astonishing they shipped it like that. Be nice if we got an ETA for a fix.

Yeah, the VR is absolutely terrible on Index. I didn't last longer than 15 minutes. I'm impervious to sim sickness, but this was just an unpleasant mess and it's astonishing they shipped it like that. Be nice if we got an ETA for a fix.
Not only on the Index but on 2d as well. The motion blurrrrrr, the horrorrrrrrrrr. VR just happens to make it much more jarring. Hope they fix it along with the 144Hz mode on 2d.

Well, I've been enjoying the heck out of this for the past week. Recent patches seem to have improved things. I was a bit frustrated with the annoyingly different (from Elite) bindings and the numbers not corresponding to anything logical on the X52, that I went and got VoiceAttack and HCS's Alix Galaxy voicepack.

Wow! What an amazing bit of kit. Despite 1,000s of hours of Elite, it never occurred to me to try it for E: D, but it just feels right in Squadrons.

Now, managing power, shields, counters, targeting and more is a simple voice command. Highly recommended, and in VR, even better!

Played a few dogfights - it seems I have yet to see an Empire team win, anyone else? - and the story is progressing. I've done some AI fleet battles, and I have some squad mates getting themselves sorted to hopefully join me next week.

o7

I hope they can figure out bindings on those sticks. Using a gamepad, they've come up with a number of ways to multiply input options that Im gonna suggest Elite make use of.

This game is fantastic in VR, and especially in dogfights. They may have an issue with balancing at the moment, though. Typically I fly Empire, and the first game is usually a slaughter, rebels winning like 7-30, the next will be around even 27-30, then the Empire slaughtering the rebels 30-4. It's most intense when it's close. So more of those "middle" scenario matches would be great. But, indeed, the Empire can and does win :)

I keep hearing this game is not to have support or future development. My hope is either that will change, or they'll put out XWing vs TIE fighter, with that amazing score in the background. Sometimes I'd have that game running, just to hear that as I did other stuff. This game currently has what, 8 ships...4 for each side? Where's my ARC-170? If they went full bore making XW vs TIE, I'd hope they'd have things like the ship viewer and historical missions and the login droid and officer from the other games. Do the old Death Star trench run? Just go see what they did for that First Strike mod back in the day, and stick it in. ((that mod had awesome vehicles by the way. Why not? It's EA even, and that mod was built on Battlefield 2). It has all the mechanics to make those earlier games, way more flushed out with the voicings and added story. They even have missions where you go back and do them 8 times, being frustrated that you missed one or 2 things or got killed trying. A mission taking out Corvettes got me wound up, then I realized I was having the same reaction I had 27 years ago? what? how?

Could this be inserted into BF2 or if they make a BF3? Keep the flight system they have, but have this as the advanced setting? Also, it'd be great if they added a bit of 'on foot' stuff. Not full blown 8 options of infantry, officers, medics etc, but just the pilot and maybe being able to take out a few stormtroopers to plant a bomb somewhere critical. Can they use the same setup to make a few new games? Where's my pod racing game? Do they have a suggestions board, or is this it?

I hope they can figure out bindings on those sticks. Using a gamepad, they've come up with a number of ways to multiply input options that Im gonna suggest Elite make use of.

This game is fantastic in VR, and especially in dogfights. They may have an issue with balancing at the moment, though. Typically I fly Empire, and the first game is usually a slaughter, rebels winning like 7-30, the next will be around even 27-30, then the Empire slaughtering the rebels 30-4. It's most intense when it's close. So more of those "middle" scenario matches would be great. But, indeed, the Empire can and does win :)

I keep hearing this game is not to have support or future development. My hope is either that will change, or they'll put out XWing vs TIE fighter, with that amazing score in the background. Sometimes I'd have that game running, just to hear that as I did other stuff. This game currently has what, 8 ships...4 for each side? Where's my ARC-170? If they went full bore making XW vs TIE, I'd hope they'd have things like the ship viewer and historical missions and the login droid and officer from the other games. Do the old Death Star trench run? Just go see what they did for that First Strike mod back in the day, and stick it in. ((that mod had awesome vehicles by the way. Why not? It's EA even, and that mod was built on Battlefield 2). It has all the mechanics to make those earlier games, way more flushed out with the voicings and added story. They even have missions where you go back and do them 8 times, being frustrated that you missed one or 2 things or got killed trying. A mission taking out Corvettes got me wound up, then I realized I was having the same reaction I had 27 years ago? what? how?

Could this be inserted into BF2 or if they make a BF3? Keep the flight system they have, but have this as the advanced setting? Also, it'd be great if they added a bit of 'on foot' stuff. Not full blown 8 options of infantry, officers, medics etc, but just the pilot and maybe being able to take out a few stormtroopers to plant a bomb somewhere critical. Can they use the same setup to make a few new games? Where's my pod racing game? Do they have a suggestions board, or is this it?
Star wars Battlefront 1 and 2 does all that pretty well already...as much as the lootbox scandal kinda put more than a few off the franchise, I really enjoyed both of them.

After almost 20 hours I'm dissapointed, it looks amazing but for me plays like <redacted>. I was scratching my head about why it feels so wrong, at first I thought it was because the craft were sluggish so I did a simple pitch test in all the classics and Sqadrons (only XW and TIE). I was very surprised to see that Squadrons was the fastest at pitching.....but what I noticed is that there's INSTANT acceleration, it literally takes a second to get to max throttle in this game and the Ai knows it, so there's no WW2 style staying on a bogey's 6, like in the originals (spending hours trying to nail that ONE TIE as every laser beam seems to pass through all the gaps)....it's all head ons and jousting, or the Ai actually STOPS in space then turns and screams off with that immediate acceleration......dogfighting the Ai is awful. Cannot recommend this beyond being Star Wars pron.

My god does it look gorgeous though...drools.

Looks like the patch released a few hours ago has cured the FPS problems - I’ll be giving it a try in the morning 🤞

No patch notes yet, sounds like the devs want the patch out in the wild for a bit before confirming the fixes.

Edit: just had the update and played for a bit (first Story mission and AI bot fight in the Training debris field) and VR performance is massively improved - totally smooth now 👍

Last edited:
Dear friends,
I've played yesterday for the first time Squadrons in VR, after struggling for a long time to map my x55, not easy at all.
I played for 1 hour in VR just practicing in the practice junk yard to familiarize with the hotas mapping and try different vessel. The game is definitely nice and enjoyable, but.... I got motion sickness.
Terrible motion sickness... When I stopped playing the head was spinning, then it started to seriously ache and I got also nausea. I'm still feeling sick after sleeping now.
It is very strange. I never experienced motion sickness with the exception of Alien isolation. I played hundreds of hours Elite in VR without an issue, and Squadrons is more or less the same. The game runs quite smooth. Anyhow, playing Elite in some battles I had very crowded space and stuttering, but never felt so bad.
What could I do? I'm quite scared now to face the game again, and it is a shame because it is so nice and relaxing.

Max

Dear friends,
I've played yesterday for the first time Squadrons in VR, after struggling for a long time to map my x55, not easy at all.
I played for 1 hour in VR just practicing in the practice junk yard to familiarize with the hotas mapping and try different vessel. The game is definitely nice and enjoyable, but.... I got motion sickness.
Terrible motion sickness... When I stopped playing the head was spinning, then it started to seriously ache and I got also nausea. I'm still feeling sick after sleeping now.
It is very strange. I never experienced motion sickness with the exception of Alien isolation. I played hundreds of hours Elite in VR without an issue, and Squadrons is more or less the same. The game runs quite smooth. Anyhow, playing Elite in some battles I had very crowded space and stuttering, but never felt so bad.
What could I do? I'm quite scared now to face the game again, and it is a shame because it is so nice and relaxing.

Max
  1. Rule out fps issues - if your framerate is bad, and you don't notice it because reprojection kicks in, it can still cause headaches in stalwart seasoned VR-since-2016 players like me ;-). Try to keep the framerate high. Also make sure Vsync and HDR are off for VR. For inexplicable reason both options affect VR while they shouldn't. While HDR just makes things look bad, vsync on causes severe framerate issues for VR view.
  2. SW: Squadrons had this "hardcoded" motion blur which was very apparent and made flying in the scrapyard an unpleasant experience. Funnily enough while playing the campaign you're too busy piloting to notice, at least for me. It is still there but I simply ignore it shooting at rebel scum ;-)
  3. If all else fails, ginger allegedly helps with VR motion sickness symptoms.

Having a fan gently blowing in your face also helps, I hear. Helps fool the brain that there’s some sort of real-life motion going on.
All sorts of "grounding" techniques can help provided the issue isn't performance related. Because low-fps vr will probably make you feel queasy eventually. Something something motion-to-photon lag etc.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
finished the campaign, tried online multiplayer matches - reminded me a lot of CQC (searching for games, not getting any matches). The tutorial always resulted in a CTD after the briefing and video, not sure if there should've been more. Solo mode fleet battle were ok, still not growing warm with the handling or the tankyness of the ships. The AI apparently has its own problems with the handling, often stopping and turning in place.

A legacy mode would be great, even if only for singleplayer, where all ships would be as they were in the past. Some bugfixes first though.

Top Bottom