Starting Again

So I went straight from the road to riches to LTD mining when I bought this game and had made 1 billion before I knew it. I've only played in Solo and of late the game just hasn't been engaging me.

So I've been thinking of wiping my save and starting from scratch, playing only in Open and taking it slower, actually progressing through the ships (I'll be limiting my mining time). I'm on PS4 so can't create a new account, my only option is to delete my current progress.

Will I regret it? I have a fully engineered Conda (took ages for all the optional internals and weapons) and 2.5 billion credits. That being said, the idea of completely starting from scratch is exciting me, especially since I'll be in Open constantly. I could always keep all my engineered modules and sell my ships, essentially starting from scratch. But doesn't feel quite the same as a fresh start.

What do we think?

No point.

Better of challenging yourself.

I like flying without shields

Funny you should say that. I'm looking at a 885m/s, shieldless, silent running ICourier to do courier missions for the rank grind to get the Vette/Cutter. I think a shieldless ship would draw the attention of would be attackers, but the speed and heatsinks would just frustrate the hell out of them

I think it depends on what you want from the game. What do you enjoy doing? Do you need an Anaconda to do it? Do you feel happier from having a 10+ digit bank account? Do you want to own and operate a fleet carrier?

There was a period when I considered doing a wipe, but I decided to instead just take it easy, fly around a lot and look at places, do interesting things and a take a break from the game when I got tired of it. That has worked for me and I think that I would have regretted if I went ahead with the reset.

So I went straight from the road to riches to LTD mining when I bought this game and had made 1 billion before I knew it. I've only played in Solo and of late the game just hasn't been engaging me.

So I've been thinking of wiping my save and starting from scratch, playing only in Open and taking it slower, actually progressing through the ships (I'll be limiting my mining time). I'm on PS4 so can't create a new account, my only option is to delete my current progress.

Will I regret it? I have a fully engineered Conda (took ages for all the optional internals and weapons) and 2.5 billion credits. That being said, the idea of completely starting from scratch is exciting me, especially since I'll be in Open constantly. I could always keep all my engineered modules and sell my ships, essentially starting from scratch. But doesn't feel quite the same as a fresh start.

What do we think?

Original 3300 vintage here, flew in the Eranin conflict and have seen, done and ingeneered a lot since then. Since then I have had two full- wipes (I play self imposed Ironman) and have never regretted it.

What do we think?

surely you can just add another account to your ps4, as long as you are the one you are on is your "home" ps4 all games should be shared between accounts on it, including ps+

Funny you should say that. I'm looking at a 885m/s, shieldless, silent running ICourier to do courier missions for the rank grind to get the Vette/Cutter. I think a shieldless ship would draw the attention of would be attackers, but the speed and heatsinks would just frustrate the hell out of them

That sounds pretty sweet.

I'm flying my t10 shield less because its called the JMC Red Moon and is modelled on red dwarf.

So no shields for me, just repair skutters (which, why do they instantly stop working when the opposite side of the ship they are on takes a single point of damage exactly?)

I am far away from finishing the build tho.

I think if I was at end game state like yourself I'd be putting together some seriously left field ship builds.

I used to play iron-man, clear-saving on destruction, however jumping through the hoops of opening the engineers has really spoiled that. So now I play plastic-man, not taking a rebuy on destruction but selecting the freewinder in my starting location - no insurance claims in the stats (makes my brain itch) and no need to re-qualify the engineers.

Starting again was always fun and I would recommend it at least once but you have to offset that with the chore of regaining engineer access.

Credits are too easy these days, so I won't ever bother starting over. I just fly a very small and modest fleet with mostly low-tier ships for a challenge (and general enjoyment), thinking of credits more like a generic score from days gone by.

iu

As for reasons to play beyond just the fun of flying, that's where narrative-driven CGs come in!

Credits are too easy these days, so I won't ever bother starting over. I just fly a very small and modest fleet with mostly low-tier ships for a challenge (and general enjoyment), thinking of credits more like a generic score from days gone by.

iu

As for reasons to play beyond just the fun of flying, that's where narrative-driven CGs come in!

Sweet, I scored 800 thousand!

Just do it. I've lost count of the times I've started over (Xbox). I never looked forward to the engineer grind and even tried a play-through refusing to engineer anything - but you can't do CZs without engineering. I spent over 6 months exploring to "get away". I then built myself a PC and very recently caught Elite Dangerous with a HUGE discount on Steam. Now... do I transfer my wealth to PC and start again again? But that engineer grind...

Will I regret it? ...

Perhaps a compromise would be to set yourself up as a disillusioned miner. Moor up the annie and go back to the starter ship you fancy, progressing your way through the game enjoying the smaller ships and experience whilst knowing you've got a rebuy. Do it in open or whatever you fancy and just chip away at things you enjoy, knowing you've got a bit of "family money" to bail you out.

The only thing you'll miss out on are the starter systems and the feeling of dread when you've gambled your rebuy for the contents of your hold (it was something that I really enjoyed at the start - selling the hold full of stuff thinking "that was reckless").

rgiles1818b

Banned
I'm on PC and have restarted from scratch 3 times. Instead of restarting again I bought 2 additional copies of ED & ED:H since my main copy has 10bil, FC & 11 Engineered Ships.

What do we think?

You can have multiple PS4 accounts with sperate cmdrs. Seems pointless erasing progress for no reason. I have started again many times, but always with a new account.

I say do it...

I love being the little guy trying to scratch together a living in ED.
Like Para, I play Ironman/no claims and my last reset was 28th sep.

It’s also fun giving your CMDR a strict career path...

-bounty hunter
-assassin
-pirate
-salvager
-explorer
-trader
-taxi driver
-miner

...and sticking with it.

Like you, I grow complacent/bored once I’m rich so starting over has just become a loop for me.

I love going exploring in something daft like an Eagle. Or painting my Hauler yellow and running any passenger who dares get in it...

Weird, because I think I've heard that console players are the only ones that don't need to buy new copy of Elite to have multiple accounts

Top Bottom