Discussion Starting ED with VoiceAttack

Just a short question:
When starting the ED launcher with voice attack, i put a pause, then a positioning of the mouse over the 'play' button, then left-click.
Doesn't work...?
I can actually see the button is clicked, but the game refuses to load. I have to left-click physically or it won't work.

Any ideas on that? How could it make a difference?
:S

You could try setting the click event with a longer duration (00.200 seconds might work)... Windows just might not be registering the click if it's happening too fast...

nope. tried 0.300, tried even doubleclick, pauses inbetween two clicks...
and as i said, you can see the animation of the button being pressed.

nope. tried 0.300, tried even doubleclick, pauses inbetween two clicks...
and as i said, you can see the animation of the button being pressed.

Try changing the Key Input Method from Standard to Windows Game (DirectX) or vice-versa and see if that works.
Also, look at the main VoiceAttack window...under Send commands to:, is it on Active Window? If so, try dead setting it to the Elite Dangerous launcher executable or at the very least manually change focus to the launcher whilst leaving the selection on Active Window - for testing purposes.

Try changing the Key Input Method from Standard to Windows Game (DirectX) or vice-versa and see if that works.
Also, look at the main VoiceAttack window...under Send commands to:, is it on Active Window? If so, try dead setting it to the Elite Dangerous launcher executable or at the very least manually change focus to the launcher whilst leaving the selection on Active Window - for testing purposes.

DirectX is only for keypresses, setting focus doesn't work either. Trying to manually lauch the .exe afterwards gets an error 'start ED via launcher'.
Tried even to 'press left button, pause, release'. Just nope.
This is just a test because in VR i do want to boot up everything without ever looking at the dektop.
Starting up TCE(with additional mouse click), Target, launching the profile in Target(mouse click), all working fine.

DirectX is only for keypresses, setting focus doesn't work either. Trying to manually lauch the .exe afterwards gets an error 'start ED via launcher'.
Tried even to 'press left button, pause, release'. Just nope.
This is just a test because in VR i do want to boot up everything without ever looking at the dektop.
Starting up TCE(with additional mouse click), Target, launching the profile in Target(mouse click), all working fine.

I'm at a loss. However, the best clue you have there is 'Start ED via Launcher'. Now, I do know that executing EDx64 directly will result in a similar error message. I believe the same applies for executing the launcher while Steam application is closed. Can't very at the moment since I'm heading to work.

If you're doing advanced programming from within VoiceAttack to get the Play button to start, I humbly state that's out of my league, as I don't program steps to that extent. Let me know what you find.

Personally, I just found starting VA & Facetracknoir after the game has been clicked will perform better that way. I also used to use VA to start them all. I now find getting back to ED full screen to work much better than it has in the past also by either clicking the Taskbar Icon or using TAB and it doesn't now get confused to then need an ALT+ENTER to exit from a bordered window mode.
It looks like your issue is not using the Stream ED Starter as others have said in the past.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure i can follow the last two posts, pls excuse me.
To clarify:
I'm not using steam.
I open the ED launcher via the Target Profile (doesn't matter, could start the launcher seperately, won't make a diff.), using a VA command (position mouse here and left click). Works as intended.

I then use VA to
-position the mouse on the play button
-left click the play button
-Text to speech: 'Starting the best. game. ever.' <- non relevant here [big grin]
That didn't work out.
As i said, i can 'see' the button is pressed, but nothing happens.
I can fire up whole orgies of clicking, doubleclicking, press and releases with VA on that button, just nope.
Then i tried launching the ed64.exe separately, of course after the launcher, well, launched.
That's giving the error msg.
So, what is FD doing differently here? That's the question.

I do have some other commands in VA which involve process targets, killing/restarting processes and make ED the active
'window' again, all working a charm (edit: when i'm sober, that is...)

Last edited:
To clarify:
I'm not using steam.
I open the ED launcher via the Target Profile (doesn't matter, could start the launcher seperately, won't make a diff.), using a VA command (position mouse here and left click). Works as intended.

I then use VA to
-Text to speech: 'Starting the best. game. ever.' <- non relevant here [big grin]
That didn't work out.
I can fire up whole orgies of clicking, doubleclicking, press and releases with VA on that button, just nope.
Then i tried launching the ed64.exe separately, of course after the launcher, well, launched.

I do have some other commands in VA which involve process targets, killing/restarting processes and make ED the active

Wow. You've hit a major snag then. Specifically now knowning you have a standalone copy of Elite.

I'm going to give it one last shot:
Export your profiles and remember your preferred settings. Uninstall VA and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, then verify ED installation files through the Launcher. Take precautions to save your bindings as I'm not sure if the scan will revert all your ED settings and bindings if it finds corrupt files.
GOOD LUCK.

Did you erase all older version folders? Only needs the 1 within the Game Folder. The new Launcher will sign in auto so if it's not then you're running an older one. You used a 1sec Pause after open Launcher right before you clicked on the correct installed start button?

Last edited:
To clarify:
I'm not using steam.

I then use VA to
That didn't work out.

This is going to sound like a really odd suggestion, but since I assume you're using a left mouse click from within VA (as would generally be sensible), have you tried a right mouse button click? Reason I ask is that when actually within the game itself, using the galaxy map, getting a left mouse click to register properly didn't work for me (when trying to select the search tab using a mouse action), but using the right mouse button did work. I wouldn't expect it to work in your case, but it's still worth a shot, just in case...

Last edited:
Got it working guys!
I actually had to 'click the button' in a subcommand, giving it the launcher as process target.
Thanks to all trying to help me out on this one!

Yup that's what I used to do. Glad how VA works even with my speakers & subwoofer cranked up very loud and I never needed to use the daft Windows Speech Recognition tests nor program for it to understand me either. The one thing it can't workout is "chaff" so its my middle mouse!

Yup that's what I used to do. Glad how VA works even with my speakers & subwoofer cranked up very loud and I never needed to use the daft Windows Speech Recognition tests nor program for it to understand me either. The one thing it can't workout is "chaff" so its my middle mouse!

Yeah, chaff is a hard one.
I just went for 'disco, disco!'
[big grin]

Yeah, chaff is a hard one.
I just went for 'disco, disco!'
[big grin]

Congrats man!

As for the chaff problem...I have it set to "chaff chaff chaff". That's three times. Why? I was reminded of a movie (Behind Enemy Lines), where the F-18 is trying to evade a missile and you hear over the radio this sequence of words.
Also makes me think I'm really in trouble, so it works for me &#55357;&#56832;

Top Bottom