State of the Game: Now that it has been out for a month, do you think Planet Coaster is a complete game?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
We were having this conversation in the hat shop thread but that was closed (and not because of this conversation), so here's a new thread to do it.

Personally, I feel that despite all the good fancy pretty fun parts, Planet Coaster as a whole feels incomplete and/or rushed. I feel like we're still beta testing the game and that it launched far too early and is missing far too many quality of life features. [sad] The game is rich and full of content and gorgeous and ambitious, but a lot of things just feel a bit lacking, and it seems that most reviewers lean towards agreement with that.

-The game launched without things like shop stock management, syncing shops, mass management of rides/guests/staff, no guest list, no scenario editor, and a few other basics from the genre including RCT3 which was entirely developed by Frontier

-They added a new aspect of management just a week ago, which must have been planned well in advance. It also doesn't work very well on top of that and is the victim of a lot of criticism (ride reputation)

-The game's management tools and gameplay are being regarded in essentially every review of the game as incomplete or lacking

-Major tools that had been criticized through the game's entire development launched without being changed (like the path tool which had additions but is still a mess to deal with, and also noted in many reviews as being a chore)

-Content was cut (Go-karts, security, picnic tables, guests getting lost, the scenario editor was planned at one point in some capacity, and I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting)

-The game's ride count is less than half that of RCT3's base game, and also the shop count

-Even new content feels incomplete, such as the shops we just got not having proper signage included. The arctic biome map was also 50% the size it should have been, which is a fair mistake to amke and was fixed within 24 hours, but it is still one of those "Nobody noticed?" situations where the player has to wonder how they could find something in 2 minutes that nobody on the dev team noticed at all :p Which isa problem in game development in general, not specific to PC. Almost every developer misses obvious things the players find in minutes, not Frontier's fault I suppose.

-The water rides launched incomplete, log flume was updated in the winter patch with more controls and options

-Game balance in pretty much every way is not balanced. Guests massively over-prefer water rides, guests hate queues that are 3 minutes long, guests storm certain kinds of shops, you're rolling in cash at all times, there's little in the way of "conflict", staff training is hardly ever necessary and the benefits are not very noticable, so on

-The build and scenery systems are disjointed and follow different confusing rules, and AndyC has confirmed that they were developed as separate systems when the build mode wasn't entirely figured out yet, and they simply were never unified, which I would consider incomplete implementation

-There are a number of bugs with building that make it harder than it was in alphas (pieces don't attempt to auto-stack anymore, pieces drop to ground level when duplicated sometimes, pieces just in general move around in unexpected ways, stuff like that)

-Many build objects are missing between different build sets (Not every set has all the same pieces to make all the same things)

-Many build objects and even some rides can't be recolored when it seems like they should be recolorable

-At least two building pieces (castle minaret) are apparently placeholder models

-The game's scenarios were made before the map size was finalized and are thus forever stuck in small maps

I don't think enough of the game's features are complete enough to count as a complete game. I do feel like I'm playing an early access game. A really good one, but early access all the same.

I'm hoping it stops feeling like that soon enough, but for now, that's how it seems. The career mode/challenge mode are unplayable to me because the management just isn't there and what is there just isn't balanced. [cry] Every time I go to play the game I have to fight against balance issues and tools to do what I want to do. The game is absolutely complete in terms of art assets and whatnot (except for missing building pieces) but when it comes to game mechanics, it's not quite there yet. We did just get an entire new biome and scenery set/building set, which are beautiful (the gingerbread set is my favorite in the game), but art assets are a dime a dozen and arguably the easiest thing to add to and improve. What we really need serious improvements on are core game mechanics, which feel like they're still in a sort of testing and balancing phase.

Hopefully it continues to improve quickly in that regard. But I feel like we'd be having a better time of it if the game was still in beta, and not considered final release, or if the beta had been an appropriate length to gather feedback on all these aspects of play. :)

Last edited:
Do you ever have anything good to say or are you the type to see the glass as half empty? There are a lot of things that they have done right, why not list some of them?

Do you ever have anything good to say or are you the type to see the glass as half empty? There are a lot of things that they have done right, why not list some of them?

The game is rich and full of content and gorgeous and ambitious,

The game is absolutely complete in terms of art assets and whatnot

We did just get an entire new biome and scenery set/building set, which are beautiful (the gingerbread set is my favorite in the game),

Listing what works well isn't going to accomplish anything, the intent of this thread is to discuss whether or not the game feels like it's a complete experience. Quite a few popular threads on this forum have turned into variations on this discussion so it seems reasonable to have one place to discuss it. I adore planet coaster and will play it for a very long time and everyone here including the developers are well aware of that, but I also think it needs improvement and want it to be the best it can be, and the only real way to do that is to have real dialogues on where it hasn't quite met expectations. [up]

Quite a few posters here who post regularly don't play the game anymore yet are still here engaging in discussions because they want the game to get better.

Last edited:
No game is ever "complete"

adventure/story driven games can be very complete. Unless your counting remakes. I'm pretty sure RCT3 was completed a long time ago, so was RCT1... but RCT2 has received a couple remakes

Last edited:
To me the game is indeed complete as a "released game". It has everything a basic game should include to be released.

Is it polished? I would say no. But nowadays many companies release a game half-polished and take advantage of the updates to polish it during the year after the release, mainly using users data to balance it.

Could it have more content? it could certainly have, I miss some important rides, like a flume boat (a la Pirates of the Caribbean or It's a small world), a water transport ride (canoes, rafts or steam boats), more dark rides, omnimover and such, games and arcade stalls and some features like rain, shops stock management, etc. For a game called Planet Coaster is also surprising that it misses some coaster basic types like: suspended coaster, motorcycle coaster and water/boat coasters.

Conclusion, IMHO it's a really nice game but it still needs important polishing, content and feature additions to turn into a GREAT game.

NOTE: I don't expect nor probably need as many stuff as RCT3 had, to tell you the truth I didn't use half of it, but it certainly had nice variety [haha]

adventure/story driven games can be very complete. Unless your counting remakes. I'm pretty sure RCT3 was completed a long time ago, so was RCT1... but RCT2 has received a couple remakes

Complete as in more can always be done since that is the context of the topic

complete = the devs have packed up and gone home

old games that no longer recieve additional content from the original developers are "complete"

PC is a new game where the developers are continueing to add more content thus making it "incomplete"

Last edited:
That is not the intended usage of the word in this context. I have asked you multiple times to stop taking my posts/comments and rewording them or modifying their context however you please.

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
Usually i try to stay out of this debate because it's a non-question to me.

Personally im not bugged by the "flaws" in management. I think too much management will result into micromanagement which will result in the game becoming unplayable when you get medium or large sized park when you simply don't have time to micromanage all stuff. So personally i think the amount of management is about right... (But i realize this is partially a personal opinion)

When it comes to content i think its difficult to answer. Frontier always stated that they only include stuff that is 100% done and up to par with the games quality.
And it's only a simple fact that it's always a battle between quality and quantity. They have only so much time and money to spend.

So is this game a complete game? .... No and it will never be.

Was this game ready to be released? ... Yes, i do think so. The game doesn't feel rushed at all to me. Just look at the beauty of all things and you can see how much time and effort they spend on small details.
(Take a look at the sound thread where Matthew explains a few things about the music/sounds in Planet Coaster)

So what we have is 100% quality, and i think thats a good thing. Content can be added later on for the people who want it. You cant add quality later on...
I just hope there will be lots of DLC / Expantions etc to come as close as possible to a complete game over time.

Personally i don't look at PC like a standalone game. Because then i agree, i would be dissapointed... I look at it as a new "franshise" where we just got the base game which inclused a rather nice selection or rides and shops. (And considering the quality im surprised we got this much already!) and over time things will be added. So eventually we will have a lot of content with everything in top quality.

I wouldn't want to have it any other way [happy]

Last edited:
I think you guys are confusing the word "complete" with "perfect" [wink]

the game will be complete when the devs release their final DLC addon expansion or whatever, and move on to a new game

theres obviously things that are still a work-in-progress or delayed

Last edited:
That is not the intended usage of the word in this context. I have asked you multiple times to stop taking my posts/comments and rewording them or modifying their context however you please.

Sorry but 1 you have never asked me nor have I ever done that and 2 you are complaining about content missing which is exactly what I said a game can always have more content/features. The game just came out so if you think that they are going to just up and walk away already you have other issues and why are we even having this conversation then? If you say that was not the intended context then your thread makes no sense, how would a game 1 month old ever be considered complete?

Sounds like you just wanted to make your 100th thread to complain in.

I think you guys are confusing the word "complete" with "perfect" [wink]

the game will be complete when the devs release their final DLC addon expansion or whatever, and move on to a new game

Thats exactly what I was trying to say but a game to a user is never "complete" because they always want more

Last edited:

What a cheap way to cut short such extensive and constructive feedback! The fact that the glass is (at best) only half full after the official release is never a good thing, no matter how you put it. Of course there is plenty of good stuff and some of that was mentioned in the opening post as well. Like the excellent graphics and cheerful atmosphere, extensive building tools, the incredible attention to detail and the fact that they tried to re-imagine every aspect of the genre and franchise it was obviously inspired by.

I'm with the opening post, there is so much skill, ambition and passion shining from this game, but almost every feature or innovation seems to be only half-baked. Excellent graphics? Sure, but virtually every player runs into performance issues sooner or later. Simulation Involved and the infamous Guest Brain? Excellent on paper, but guests are dumb as bricks in practice. Building tools? So much potential here thanks the Advanced Movement Gizmo, Undo system and Duplicate features. But the unflexible Grid throws you straight back to the limitation of 2002's RCT2. Let alone the mentioned incomplete sets, weird glitches in the Building mechanism, finicky an inconsistent Flexicolor tools. The Signs were so promising in the first concepts but what we got today is ugly and hardly usable in many cases.

I believe all is not lost though, on the contrary. Unlike certain other games that claim to be out of Early Access, the core and foundations as well as the design behind it, are really, really solid. It just needs a few months of polishing and tweaking in almost all areas to get it right, and apparently Frontier couldn't wait that long, for whatever reason. They went on record many times that they plan to support the game for many years after the release and judging from history, we can trust them on that. The difference between RCT3 1.0 Vanilla and the fully patched version is like day and night. Many big features like tunnels, waterfalls, better underwater view and UI tweaks were all added later, and for free.

I just hope Frontier really finishes up the existing half-baked aspects and systems before starting groundwork on entirely new features like waterparks, safari stuff, content packs or whatever surprises they have in mind.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Let's not get into an argument about why this thread is here and please keep it on-topic. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm at work so I have to make it short (shhh), but it feels as though there are still some glaring issues, missing building pieces, not enough of other scenery pieces (bushes, benches, bins, etc), management and UI issues, and some much needed QOL improvements that are preventing me from saying it's a complete game. It's playable, and most of the time fun (whilst ignoring certain issues), but sometimes certain things can be very frustrating.

I've actually thought about shelving the game until the Spring, and then coming back to see what improves over the next few months. I played RCT3 off and on like that until Soaked! was released. Once Soaked hit, I went RCT crazy! I went even crazier with Wild! because at that point you could start building underground. Ehhhhhh... we'll see... I'm hoping my interest doesn't wane too much right now, because I currently don't have any other games that I'm looking forward to in the near future.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Usually i try to stay out of this debate because it's a non-question to me.

Personally im not bugged by the "flaws" in management. I think too much management will result into micromanagement which will result in the game becoming unplayable when you get medium or large sized park when you simply don't have time to micromanage all stuff. So personally i think the amount of management is about right... (But i realize this is partially a personal opinion)

When it comes to content i think its difficult to answer. Frontier always stated that they only include stuff that is 100% done and up to par with the games quality.
And it's only a simple fact that it's always a battle between quality and quantity. They have only so much time and money to spend.

So is this game a complete game? .... No and it will never be.

Was this game ready to be released? ... Yes, i do think so. The game doesn't feel rushed at all to me. Just look at the beauty of all things and you can see how much time and effort they spend on small details.
(Take a look at the sound thread where Matthew explains a few things about the music/sounds in Planet Coaster)

So what we have is 100% quality, and i think thats a good thing. Content can be added later on for the people who want it. You cant add quality later on...
I just hope there will be lots of DLC / Expantions etc to come as close as possible to a complete game over time.

Personally i don't look at PC like a standalone game. Because then i agree, i would be dissapointed... I look at it as a new "franshise" where we just got the base game which inclused a rather nice selection or rides and shops. (And considering the quality im surprised we got this much already!) and over time things will be added. So eventually we will have a lot of content with everything in top quality.

I wouldn't want to have it any other way [happy]

+ 1 [up]

I'm with Vampiro on this one : )

I played RCT3 off and on like that until Soaked! was released. Once Soaked hit, I went RCT crazy! I went even crazier with Wild! because at that point you could start building underground. Ehhhhhh... we'll see... I'm hoping my interest doesn't wane too much right now, because I currently don't have any other games that I'm looking forward to in the near future.

That's why I wish frontier would announce something for future content. We knew about PC 6 months before alpha, but didn't find out about all the delayed/scrapped content until beta. Hopefully after the new years well get some news about the next big addition

Why all the whinging?

Hands down - this is the best game I have ever played - THANKS PLANET COASTER TEAM FOR ALL THE AMAZING WORK AND MERRY XMAS AND THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY YEAR!!![happy]

That's what forums are for ... having a moan ..

To answer his thread question I don't think the game is complete, but then I never expected it would be. There is however enough in the game to keep people interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom