State of the Game

something positive?- hm, just 2 weeks left until we will switch to DST, it will get warmer, the sailing season has started and I'm excited to start learning high-sea sailing this season - still have to get my motor boat license before though. I'm kind of surprised how little one has to do in OZ to be allowed to sail a yacht on the oceans - a simple motor boat license is enough, which is granted by answering 25 questions correctly out of a catalogue of 250 questions - no practical test or sailing school required - really strange.

I like the idea of this. We probably need to wait for a beautiful new thread topic as opposed to invading one. But as this conversation is totally theoretical (nudge nudge), it won't worry the mods like TJ (wink wink) and such. It's simply an interesting thought experiment, and not a plan of any kind at all.....
Eruhmm... ...aye? Oh... yeah... def-inite-ly just a thought experiement. Absolutely no need for any mods to get in any way concerned... no siree... :oops:

I like the idea of this. We probably need to wait for a beautiful new thread topic as opposed to invading one. But as this conversation is totally theoretical (nudge nudge), it won't worry the mods like TJ (wink wink) and such. It's simply an interesting thought experiment, and not a plan of any kind at all.....
Shouldn't be too hard, in fact: just find out whether snakes are in the game, and then harp on about Anacondas, Pythons, Kraits, Type-7s and the likes...

Eruhmm... ...aye? Oh... yeah... def-inite-ly just a thought experiement. Absolutely no need for any mods to get in any way concerned... no siree... :oops:

God no, we wouldn't purposefully do this, like later on today. Heavens above, we aren't anarchists! ....

Shouldn't be too hard, in fact: just find out whether snakes are in the game, and then harp on about Anacondas, Pythons, Kraits, Type-7s and the likes...

This is a really good point, will need to prepare by researching this for the "thought experiment" in case it is true...?!

something positive?- hm, just 2 weeks left until we will switch to DST, it will get warmer, the sailing season has started and I'm excited to start learning high-sea sailing this season - still have to get my motor boat license before though. I'm kind of surprised how little one has to do in OZ to be allowed to sail a yacht on the oceans - a simple motor boat license is enough, which is granted by answering 25 questions correctly out of a catalogue of 250 questions - no practical test or sailing school required - really strange.

Seems pretty simple!

"thought experiment" as in entertaining the idea of it, but instead to act on it, you are getting another stubby from the fridge and some crisps to go with the beer?

Good luck with that, sounds great fun!
You don't even need a test in the UK. I used to work at a boatyard on the Thames and my useless boss took a barge from Southampton and up the river with a road atlas for guidance.
I took the yachtmaster dayskipper which was a nightschool course before venturing out on the sea just so I knew what was going on!

Good luck with that, sounds great fun!
You don't even need a test in the UK. I used to work at a boatyard on the Thames and my useless boss took a barge from Southampton and up the river with a road atlas for guidance.
I took the yachtmaster dayskipper which was a nightschool course before venturing out on the sea just so I knew what was going on!
this is weird to me as a born german - in Germany one needs to acquire 2 major licenses and as well practical sailing lessons with an instructor until he/she deems you worthy to solo. But then again, Germany is well known for overshooting in regards to bureaucracy, like there are laws which have 2 other sub-laws - the 1st of those is explaining how the law has to be interpreted and the 2nd provides the rules for how it has to be implemented - sometimes there is even a 3rd sub-law, which explains the 2nd one in further detail.

And their title (for a 3rd one) is then something like "Ergänzende Bestimmungen zur Durchführungsverordnung der ergänzenden Bestimmungen zur Dampfkesselverordnung" -something like "additional rules regarding the implementation of those additional rules given in regards to the law about steam boilers" - this is no joke, that law is real.

Last edited:
Probably looking to Darwin to thin out the number of licensee renewals.

We could form a flash-mob - and find out how much the mods cross-pollenate and how long a forum suspension can be...

...I want tadpoles!
FT1uDCU.png

I'm sorry I don't recognize your species. Do you mind if I get a genetic scan? For science, of course, before you disappear from the Forums altogether!

this is weird to me as a born german - in Germany one needs to acquire 2 major licenses and as well practical sailing lessons with an instructor until he/she deems you worthy to solo. But then again, Germany is well known for overshooting in regards to bureaucracy, like there are laws which have 2 other sub-laws - the 1st of those is explaining how the law has to be interpreted and the 2nd provides the rules for how it has to be implemented - sometimes there is even a 3rd sub-law, which explains the 2nd one in further detail.

And their title (for a 3rd one) is then something like "Ergänzende Bestimmungen zur Durchführungsverordnung der ergänzenden Bestimmungen zur Dampfkesselverordnung" -something like "additional rules regarding the implementation of those additional rules given in regards to the law about steam boilers" - this is no joke, that law is real.
Germany is a beautiful country with some brilliant & funny people but wow, the bureaucracy makes British local politics look sensible & logical :D

it doesn't seem to be complicated - our yacht club provides the license test and grants the license in case of success - it doesn't look like being complicated to renew it.
I meant that with such minimal training, they are not expecting many renewals from those stupid enough not to get additional training...

I meant that with such minimal training, they are not expecting many renewals from those stupid enough not to get additional training...
ah I see, I thought that you might eventually refer to different rules in Northern Territory - Darwin is it's capital city.

It is quite clear to me that if I ever want to sail a longer leg on the ocean or even cross the ocean, that I basically need to be a mechanic or have crew members able to do repairs. The pacific can be rough, but wouldn't it be weird to call Oceania one's home and then not sail in these waters? I'm freaking afraid of sharks, but then again, sailing is such a great sport - I had the opportunity lately to join a crew on a medium sized sailing yacht - bass strait was rough, but my stomach was ok ... well, until I got back on land and threw up. But during those nearly 13 hours out in bass strait I felt fine. I'm not worried, I had a strange stomach reaction as well when I learned to fly, but it is all good now.

ah I see, I thought that you might eventually refer to different rules in Northern Territory - Darwin is it's capital city.

It is quite clear to me that if I ever want to sail a longer leg on the ocean or even cross the ocean, that I basically need to be a mechanic or have crew members able to do repairs. The pacific can be rough, but wouldn't it be weird to call Oceania one's home and then not sail in these waters? I'm freaking afraid of sharks, but then again, sailing is such a great sport - I had the opportunity lately to join a crew on a medium sized sailing yacht - bass strait was rough, but my stomach was ok ... well, until I got back on land and threw up. But during those nearly 13 hours out in bass strait I felt fine. I'm not worried, I had a strange stomach reaction as well when I learned to fly, but it is all good now.

That's nothing, one time the waves were so rough on the Irish Ferry I spilt my pint!

Top Bottom