State of the Game

In the event you missed it, it was a reference to the first Bioshock game
where the main character (you) is brainwashed into doing things if you say "Would you kindly...". It's also used as an explanation as to why you do the story without deviating, as with most FPS.

I'm joking. Stop pinging her.
https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Cobra_MkIV

I thought it was obvious when I was talking of buying a DLC that didn't exist in Kickstarter, but not obvious enough I guess :D
At least someone got the reference!!!

More 'concerning' Bio found today...
View attachment 254970
Thats some René Laloux level fruit there. If you get a phone call from an old geezer be kind to him and heed his advice :D

1628171547585.png

Well, if one is wishy-washy then that's one's problem. Typically once I make a choice, and I do mean choices that actually matter in my life, I don't look back from that moment forward.

Though, that said, IF I choose a path that doesn't pan out and one of the original alternative choices is still available then I reevaluate and make another choice. Otherwise I just move forward. One of the absolutely great things about time is that we cannot control the past; frees up a lot of mental energy.

And, on the subject of "make us more happy": Happiness is a choice, which usually requires and attitude adjustment on one's part and is NOT something that can be "attained" from any source outside ourselves.

I'm sorry, what does vrbo have to do with it, oh, that was an ad. Apologies.

Getting back to your point with the link: So a simple fact of life is that having "it all" is technically impossible as it implies that you can have things that are completely opposite, like having and not having your morning coffee.

And then also, not everyone wants "it all" because we all want something different.

Sorry again, but love, like most emotional responses, is not a choice. It either exists or doesn't.

Apologies for the short response, as I'd love to argue this further, but my employer "actually" expects me to be present at the workplace, and I'm already late. :)
Your personal approach to making choices and dealing with consequences is something we share, I was obviously referring and placing my post in "overdramatized" perception of choice.
And generalizing for the sake of pimping the drama even more ;)

The only think I DON'T fully agree is "Happiness is a choice".
It's not entirely true.
How we feel and experience reality is mostly determined by the balance of neurotransmitters.
Control over emotions is limited -you can ignore or supress some states of mind/emotions/impulses/urges etc, but you can't force your brain to release the chemistry that sets your mind in some specific, extraordinary state like : happiness, extasy, love etc.

You can naturally "tune" response of your brain to given circumstances to avoid focusing on some fears/concerns/problems and overreacting in negative direction,
but when some of your deep unsatisfied needs are limiting your neurotransmitters levels, the highest state you can achieve by self-control is being
"forcibly content with your life".

It's very, very far from the real happiness, although you only know the difference if you know both the "original" state and the one you are able to "set yourself to" after taking over control of some areas of your brain that are "normally" working independently from consciousness and will.

Last edited:
If it doth offend thine eye so, why dost thou continue to torture thineself?

Your truth is certainly your own, without doubt... I just find it extremely amusing that folk need to berate the game as terrible, yet continue to play and insist on telling everone else how much they detest it... (or of course, not play, but voice their opinion regardless)

To each their own, I suppose :ROFLMAO:
OK, then plain text. I have over 10K in-game hours tand have already spent around 500 euros on the game. It is just my right to criticize this bad work. But that doesn't mean that I don't work constructively to improve it. My opinion at the moment is clear: It's screwed up.

What do you have to show, except stupid sayings?

Your personal approach to making choices and dealing with consequences is something we share, I was obviously referring and placing my post in "overdramatized" perception of choice.
And generalizing for the sake of pimping the drama even more ;)

The only think I DON'T fully agree is "Happiness is a choice".
It's not entirely true.
How we feel and experience reality is mostly determined by the balance of neurotransmitters.
Control over emotions is limited -you can ignore or supress some states of mind/emotions/impulses/urges etc, but you can't force your brain to release the chemistry that sets your mind in some specific, extraordinary state like : happiness, extasy, love etc.

You can naturally "tune" response of your brain to given circumstances to avoid focusing on some fears/concerns/problems and overreacting in negative direction,
but when some of your deep unsatisfied needs are limiting your neurotransmitters level, the highest state you can achieve by self-control is being
"forcibly content with your life".

It's very, very far from the real happiness, although you only know the difference if you know both the "original" state and the one you are able to "set yourself to".

or...

if you look at absolutely every cellular interaction that makes up your body, it is governed by chemical responses that are predicted and adhere to known physics and the interactions thereof.

So free will and individual behavior...even consciousness is all just a facade created by the vast numbers of these reactions going on simultaneously. Nobody does anything the environment and their past interactions therein have not determined that they'll do.

You have no control because there is no you. you are a slave to plain old physics and interactions that started from the time you were conceived.

(also, your mood is greatly impacted by the chemical signals produced in your gut by all of the living things that exist there that aren't human. We are a symbiote that depends on the happiness and other attributes of this population of varied bacteria and such that live within us...and they impact everything from weight gain, immunity strength, mood, and energy)

Just chased this conversation all the way back because I've been so, so busy with meetings all day but.......................A MkV Cobra?! As in 5??

Any conversation you are chasing that leads back here is 100% backed by our thread guarantee of quality workmanship.

Our best comment engineers are on the job making sure every post meets our exacting standards.

comment_engineer.jpg

Sorry to bring it back to neuroppsychiatry for a moment, but changes in thinking do lead to changes in both neural architecture, gene expression and neurotransmitter abundance. Also, unfortunately, the simple neurotransmitter "brain chemistry" model was a myth expounded by the drug companies to flog SSRI drugs and is absolutely non-representational of what actually happens in the real world brain. Equally, theories of areas of the brain being responsible for certain emotions have been pretty much discounted. Current modelling is more interested in the interplay between various regions, and you can demonstrate with functional MRI etc. up and downregulation of certain interconnected regions with various mental states, rumination, perceived happiness/distress etc. We are probably heading more towards the constructed theory of emotion, which if that stuff floats your boat is worth doing some reading on.
Unfortunately, like all things related to the brain, it's a bit more complicated than all that - though I do still have sympathy for Ender's reductionist viewpoint which I think has validity if we had the tools to model every molecular & quantum interaction of every neurone and cellular process in the brain...
Anyway, have a winged cat...
5f5ptg.jpg

Top Bottom