State of the Game

page 1925 - you guys have been busy while I was away (got banned for something pretty unreasonable and not even FDev or Elite related). Anyway, I just saw the latest video from Obsidian Ant, which is a good summary about the reality of space games nowadays.

is it players expectations that are unreasonable... or the developer's expectations that are unreasonable?

Cuz i think, for instance, if you broke elite dangerous up into at least two separate games - the overall playerbase would be in a much happier state because the expectations of multiplayer player driven games could be reached much more definitively and catered to in one without impacting the other game that would be catered to offline / narrative driven. And that's the crux of what is really unreasonable about the game, that you can do both well within the same shared game state.

the other technical asks aren't ..Things that maybe are pending or make the playerbase unfulfilled exist reasonably already in some form within the game or have been existing in other related games for years - so it's certainly doable, just maybe implemented poorly or not at all within this one for various reasons.

is it players expectations that are unreasonable... or the developer's expectations that are unreasonable?

Cuz i think, for instance, if you broke elite dangerous up into at least two separate games - the overall playerbase would be in a much happier state because the expectations of multiplayer player driven games could be reached much more definitively and catered to in one without impacting the other game that would be catered to offline / narrative driven. And that's the crux of what is really unreasonable about the game, that you can do both well within the same shared game state.

the other technical asks aren't ..Things that maybe are pending or make the playerbase unfulfilled exist reasonably already in some form within the game or have been existing in other related games for years - so it's certainly doable, just maybe implemented poorly or not at all within this one for various reasons.
as I see it, it is a decision made by economical reason - Odyssey is too little much too late - especially when they have seen what gameplay other space games offer, this might just have shocked them. Elite is so far behind that it doesn't really make sense trying to get on par with other games, because once FDev would get there, those game will be far ahead again - this is a lost cause basically, they had the advantage for a little while, but didn't make use of it in time - now it is too late - and it is a reasonable decision business-wise to let Elite enter into it's decline phase, where it will go on with not much effort required by FDev for as long as there are enough people playing the game.

And some will play on, regardless of that there might not be much more coming in the future, because they like it as it is. But FDev can focus their resources on other games and their publishing services by letting the game enter into it's decline phase - of course they cannot tell you this, because they want to make money with the console version still. But reasonably seen, there is no future for the game in regards to innovation or being the front runner in the genre. I think they realized that and made this decision for their own good - basically better to be a champion of the past than trying to compete with the top dogs in the genre.

...compete with the top dogs in the genre.

Hehe - you said 'genre'...

1631717468127.png

i was thinking more along the lines of how it started.. not anything to do with what's going on now. between reality and what braben says in interviews... it's hard to tell what they are planning. As far as the talking head goes, odyssey was just a minor launch connectivity issue that was spun out of proportion on steam ...nothing more.

i mean, if they truly believe that and it's not just total b s (which it is) ...then maybe there is life in it yet. it's hard to apply logic to what fdev does with the game. They gave us CQC when nobody asked for it. They gave us a fps that nobody asked for. They keep things secret that dont involve paid new releases. i'm not sure you can guess what they're planning.

i was thinking more along the lines of how it started.. not anything to do with what's going on now. between reality and what braben says in interviews... it's hard to tell what they are planning. As far as the talking head goes, odyssey was just a minor launch connectivity issue that was spun out of proportion on steam ...nothing more.

i mean, if they truly believe that and it's not just total b s (which it is) ...then maybe there is life in it yet. it's hard to apply logic to what fdev does with the game. They gave us CQC when nobody asked for it. They gave us a fps that nobody asked for. They keep things secret that dont involve paid new releases. i'm not sure you can guess what they're planning.
oh I can - nothing at all - like I said, letting the game enter into it's 4th and last product life cycle - this is reasonable business-wise, because they have other eggs in their basket, they don't depend on Elite and it has run It's course compared to other space games - or like I said many times from my perspective - there is nothing to play in Elite compared to other games like EVE or NMS - I have so much fun in NMS, nearly 700hrs there, the amount I had in Elite - just that I'm having fun in NMS, whereas I didn't feel that in Elite - so there is nothing to play in Elite for me and that is why I left the game - never to return, because there will as well not be much more to play in Elite in the future - from my perspective it is a dead horse already.

yea...but there are still plenty of players who will truck on and perhaps that's enough to fund more stuff.

I dont think we'll have a clear picture until the final word is made on consoles. if it doesn't release at all, then definitely dead. if it does, then it'll be up to how successful that is.

the servers will only run so long as new purchases roll in, i doubt cosmetic purchases can keep the lights on.

another unreasonable thing the dev's decided on... having a long-running game rely on content generated by them without a subscription to fund that content where most of the content that is produced is single use. Not a player decision for that. A more reasonable decision without subscriptions would have been to rely on community generated content - which is free ..and continues as long as the community is active.

yea...but there are still plenty of players who will truck on and perhaps that's enough to fund more stuff.

I dont think we'll have a clear picture until the final word is made on consoles. if it doesn't release at all, then definitely dead. if it does, then it'll be up to how successful that is.

the servers will only run so long as new purchases roll in, i doubt cosmetic purchases can keep the lights on.

another unreasonable thing the dev's decided on... having a long-running game rely on content generated by them without a subscription to fund that content where most of the content that is produced is single use. Not a player decision for that. A more reasonable decision without subscriptions would have been to rely on community generated content - which is free ..and continues as long as the community is active.
or a player-driven economy, where all is crafted by players - like it is in EVE - or even in NMS, ok not the ships in this case, but otherwise we craft that stuff - not selling it to other players though, they are just going into the sink. EVE has the perfect concept for such a player-driven market - everything is made from mined minerals, crafted in many stages to all kind of ships and equipment, stations and engineering complexes, which one can own - and the sink is destruction and an incentive to go for the destruction - so this is a perfect cycle - everything comes from mining and ends in destruction - and in between players create stuff which is actually used by others, because they wouldn't buy it, if they wouldn't need it. Around such an economy emergent gameplay can develop and thrive, but all Mr. Braben said to it is that they don't want to be like EVE - they wouldn't have to, but to not have a player-driven economy is ignoring the potential it has in regards to emergent gameplay - well, they didn't want to be like EVE, but EVE will be around in 10 years time - whereas Elite is unlikely to be still around.

since the zoo planet game has been polluting the new post list so much... it has infected this game's state of game as well.

If scientists bring back the wooly mammoth by splicing modern elephants with their dna and taking the dna from those calves that survive and doing it again until they have something that is mostly mammoth dna ... have we brought the mammoth back? Or, have we created something entirely new? And if it's entirely new, what should it be named?

An example,what have I done in NMS yesterday?

I bought a new A class ship and equipped it -while I was looking for a good enough new ship, I was buying resources from the traders, who offer as well their ships. Then once I had my new ship, I had as well that many resources, that I planned to create 250 circuit boards and 200 living glass - I knew that my farms can just deliver about 15% of the plant materials I need for that - so I started a bunch of refiners to generate those resources I need - 50,000 solanium, 50,000 starbulb, 25,000 frost crystals and 25,000 cactus flesh alone for those circuit boards - and while my refiners kept going, I equipped my new ship, enhanced my farms, planted new crops and cared for enough power supply - fed my farm animals and cooked some stuff to be presented to a gourmet for nanite rewards later on.

This took me 7 hours in total, but I had fun doing it and it made me about 330 million more in my wallet, despite the costs of the new ship. So it was a good day in NMS.

An example,what have I done in NMS yesterday?

I bought a new A class ship and equipped it -while I was looking for a good enough new ship, I was buying resources from the traders, who offer as well their ships. Then once I had my new ship, I had as well that many resources, that I planned to create 250 circuit boards and 200 living glass - I knew that my farms can just deliver about 15% of the plant materials I need for that - so I started a bunch of refiners to generate those resources I need - 50,000 solanium, 50,000 starbulb, 25,000 frost crystals and 25,000 cactus flesh alone for those circuit boards - and while my refiners kept going, I equipped my new ship, enhanced my farms, planted new crops and cared for enough power supply - fed my farm animals and cooked some stuff to be presented to a gourmet for nanite rewards later on.

This took me 7 hours in total, but I had fun doing it and it made me about 330 million more in my wallet, despite the costs of the new ship. So it was a good day in NMS.
You will never get Frontier to implement passive income in Elite. It's a worldview thing.

Top Bottom