station storage for cargo or different limpet system

here's an issue that comes up again and again.

i'm setting up one of my ships for mining. i set up all the components and add limpets. so far so good.

but now i want to switch (or optionally buy) a different ship to make a combat build. combat ships usually have smaller cargo space than a decked out mining ship.

the game doesn't allow you to switch to or buy a ship that has less cargo space than the amount of cargo (mostly limpets) on your currently active ship.

so you have to remove the limpets from your currently active ship to be able to switch (or buy) a different ship.

that's quite inconvenient. there's a couple solutions i can think of.

1) just leave the cargo in your active ship. if you buy a new ship, the cargo space would be empty.

2) have storage space on a station. when you want to switch to or buy a different ship, give the option to store your cargo in a station storage.

3) due to this being a limpet issue most of the time, perhaps think about a different system for limpets altogether. have them as sort of a material, not using any cargo space. or have them as a type of ammo for the limpet controllers. you can reload the limpet controller like a projectile weapon. this would make the most sense to me personally.

so you have to remove the limpets from your currently active ship to be able to switch (or buy) a different ship.

that's quite inconvenient. there's a couple solutions i can think of.

You can destroy them in right panel - inventory
No penalty from the station as it used to happen some time ago - there used to be a fine for jettison things inside the station

or

you can go in the Restock menu and sell them back for the same purchase price, that is 101 credits.

Granted there are some inconveniences when swapping out ships, but the onboard cargo is not the biggest inconvenience.
The biggest inconvenience would be the fact that you have to be docked at a station in the first place, right?
The second one would be that the station needs a Shipyard.

3) due to this being a limpet issue most of the time, perhaps think about a different system for limpets altogether. have them as sort of a material, not using any cargo space. or have them as a type of ammo for the limpet controllers. you can reload the limpet controller like a projectile weapon. this would make the most sense to me personally.

1) You can sell limpets back to the station for the exact same amount you purchased them, this is effectively the same as having infinite limpet storage at stations.

2) You can synthesise limpets out of materials, so you have exactly what you want already, just store the right sort of mats and you have a plentiful supply of limpets, no need to add an additional mat type.

Top Bottom