Newcomer / Intro Stations within planetary rings

I’m hardly a new player but after nearly two years of playing I still don’t know the answer to my question so I thought I’d post it here in case it’s useful to more than just myself.

Beyond careful eyeballing on approaching e.g. flying slowly with the rings at their flattest aspect to you on approach, is there a way to know which side of the rings you need to approach on to avoid crashing out 900km and the wrong side of the rocks when you come out of supercruise?

Hauser’s Reach, Plater’s Tyranny and Artemis Lodge being examples of the stations I always end up having to approach with this in mind?

I only ever got dropped out once and that was in the noob-zone when trying-out the SCA waste-of-a-slot module - it tried to slap me into Mawson Dock when that was the other side of the ring.

For all asteroid stations I just come in at right-angles to the ring and do the safe to disengage thing - I don't think it matters which "side" you approach from as the rings are never going to be over 1 megametre thick.

Approach from directly above/ below the plane of the ring.
Doesn't matter which side the station is on, you should still drop out in the stations instance.
Works for me at Hauser's Reach.*

I may be wrong. Often.
This^ Also works fine for Leningrad Orbital in PSPF-LF 2.

If a station is less than 1000km above/below the ring it doesn't matter from which side you approach. The drop from supercruise puts you just outside the no-fire zone of the station.

Perhaps I need to double check my timings but I’m dropping once the safety notification appears. Sometimes it puts me just outside the no fire zone, other times I’ve been dumped out at 900km leaving me to charge the FSD again and just hurl myself at the rocks (dropping out automatically)
so that I’ve only got to boost through the rings (around 20-40km from dropout to no fire zone.)

It’s almost like the weird bug that rubber banded you at Res Sites where you’d drop at the right time/distance but the site would just zoom away leaving you hundreds of km away.

I’ll experiment later and see if I can find a way to reliably replicate the behaviour. Thanks for your advice.

I had your thing happen in the starting area when I was still learning. You get the rubber banding when you are automatically dropped too close and try to engage supercruise again, as you're still too close. I've started to approach rings from steep angles and never had an issue with dropping out early.

Top Bottom