News Status on Focused Feedback Forums

Would be nice if there was anything we could have done to persuade FDev otherwise.

There isn't and I am coming to the conclusion that they don't give a ***** about us and I think we all should just quit... I have been a fan of Elite since 183, and now I cannot stand the damn game... PowerPlay could have been one fo the most imerssive engaging, player driven political chess-like part of Elite... The community is mature mostof the time, this is the first time I see a community that is way more mature and less toxic than the Developers...

I hope we can figure a way to make them feel the heat, and a lot of us are literally considering to just migrate the whole community to another game, a game where the developers respect their player base a bit more... or actually respect them at all...

To hell with FDev... I was a 100% supporter, now I regret every penny I paid for them, they do not deserve it.

Just kill it. Seriously.

I say that as a player with 5,500+ hours in the game and with the VAST majority of that dedicated to PowerPlay.

I say this as a player who randomly stumbled into Mahon's reddit community and ended up as a leader and spokesperson for that community (though I am only speaking for myself at the moment).

I say this as a player who has spent at least a thousand hours outside (and likely at least double that) of the game working on tools, strategies and diplomacy to not only support PowerPlay but to work with the Alliance and Independent communities in Mahon space that aren't interested in PowerPlay.

I say this as someone who has watched and help Mahon grow from a medium sized power to the largest power by far in PowerPlay terms; a power that has spent 120 of 171 weeks of PowerPlay at the top of the leader board.

I say this as someone who has watched you completely ignore the players who have gone out of their way to build incredible, large and persistent communities to support the game feature that you invented. Who has watched those communities develop and grow, build their own tools to do the things that you have steadfastly refused to even consider putting into the game to improve the experience.

I say this as someone who has literally been told to stop posting bug reports about PowerPlay!

I say this as someone who chose to report PowerPlay bugs with proper investigations behind them and information in the bug reports to show how the bugs affect multiple objects in the game, rather than posting a single bug report for each of the currently minimum of 452 individual PowerPlay control systems with incorrect or misleading income numbers, and who considered arranging a "spam" campaign of the bug report forums by getting even a few people to report each of those systems individually.

I say this as someone who has watched you refuse to fix even the simplest of things in PowerPlay (why, for example, is there still a nominate option in neutral systems, when it hasn't been a feature for more than a year?)

I say this as someone who has likely put more time into trying to figure out not only which bugs exist, but how and why they manifest themselves in the game and how to work around them than all of your entire team has spent on PowerPlay bugs since its release.

I say this as someone who has watched how your complete lack of empathy and actions as well as your complete disregard for us has resulted in these communities fall apart.

I say this as someone who has watched friends suffer breakdowns and leaving the game because your neglect.

I say this as someone who knows that he is absolutely not the only one with similar experiences and feelings.

If PowerPlay was a pet, if the RSPCA hadn't intervened to take it off your hands for neglect and cruelty, you would have put it down years ago.

There are game breaking bugs in PowerPlay that were reported more than 2½ years ago, that allows powers to be borderline impervious, and the organized communities I mentioned have done their best to avoid them, because it would not be fair. Think about that for more than a second. They put what is best for PowerPlay well ahead of themselves.

The PowerPlay community does far more than just PowerPlay. I would challenge any organized group to show that they do more things in the game than we do. We use pretty much every single aspect of the game (except maybe CQC) in order to support our Powers. In Mahon we do BGS monitoring across almost 1,700 populated systems, and if we aren't doing active work in individual systems ourselves, we are in constant contact with the groups that to. While I cannot speak for the other powers, the same is likely true for the other 7,600 systems that are directly affected by PowerPlay. We are made up of some of the most dedicated players this game has.

You have always refused to reveal any kind of numbers for the game, even something as simple as proportional distribution of pledges, so we're resigned to using self-reported numbers, and according to Inara.cz almost 20 percent of the player base are pledged to a power. Considering the removal of pledges with 0 merits not too long ago, this indicates it is a fairly popular part of the game - your complete lack of interest in PowerPlay not withstanding.

At this point the PowerPlay community is suffering heavily from battered wife syndrome, and we're only staying with you because of the children.

Put us out of our misery, so that we may move on with our lives, rather than being stuck in what is an abusive relationship because we love the communities we have created too much to give up on them ourselves.

Kill it.

I've been pledged to Winters and spending my play time almost exclusively on Powerplay activities since January 2017. The only reason I'm still playing this game is because the friends I've made in the Powerplay community. I agree with every point. Kill it.

Vectron says it with the volume turned to 11, but many of us are thinking very similar things. I've been PowerPlaying with Winters for a long time, and leading it for some, and the chronic bugs and glaring, unfixed flaws in the game are just wearing us all down. It wouldn't take much to patch the obvious holes, and buy some time to fix the rest. But right now what we're getting is changes nobody asked for, causing new bugs that aren't ever fixed, and the old flaws just hang around forever, or somehow get worse. I'm well aware of the strains and limits of gamedev, but leaving it the way it is - PowerPlay is just a horrible fungal growth on the rest of the game. Mothball it or fix it, please. This path is just agony.

There isn't and I am coming to the conclusion that they don't give a ***** about us and I think we all should just quit... I have been a fan of Elite since 183, and now I cannot stand the damn game... PowerPlay could have been one fo the most imerssive engaging, player driven political chess-like part of Elite... The community is mature mostof the time, this is the first time I see a community that is way more mature and less toxic than the Developers...

I hope you dont count yourself into the "Mature and not toxic community", because your childish message says that you are quite toxic and not mature at all.

So you are saying that Fdev should had stop all the plans and work they had for exploration, mining and squadrons, and just move to implement half baked Powerplay thoughts that came later into the bowl? Just because it is important for you. Sorry, but Exploration, Mining and Squadrons are important to eveyone else, we have been waiting for those improvements since the begining. In my opinion, Fdev is giving a ***** about us when saying "We know you want to have Powerplay improvements, we will do them, but this next delivery we are focusing on what we promised and was scheduled a year an a half ago"

Just kill it. Seriously.

I say that as a player with 5,500+ hours in the game and with the VAST majority of that dedicated to PowerPlay.

I say this as a player who randomly stumbled into Mahon's reddit community and ended up as a leader and spokesperson for that community (though I am only speaking for myself at the moment).

I say this as a player who has spent at least a thousand hours outside (and likely at least double that) of the game working on tools, strategies and diplomacy to not only support PowerPlay but to work with the Alliance and Independent communities in Mahon space that aren't interested in PowerPlay.

I say this as someone who has watched and help Mahon grow from a medium sized power to the largest power by far in PowerPlay terms; a power that has spent 120 of 171 weeks of PowerPlay at the top of the leader board.

I say this as someone who has watched you completely ignore the players who have gone out of their way to build incredible, large and persistent communities to support the game feature that you invented. Who has watched those communities develop and grow, build their own tools to do the things that you have steadfastly refused to even consider putting into the game to improve the experience.

I say this as someone who has literally been told to stop posting bug reports about PowerPlay!

I say this as someone who chose to report PowerPlay bugs with proper investigations behind them and information in the bug reports to show how the bugs affect multiple objects in the game, rather than posting a single bug report for each of the currently minimum of 452 individual PowerPlay control systems with incorrect or misleading income numbers, and who considered arranging a "spam" campaign of the bug report forums by getting even a few people to report each of those systems individually.

I say this as someone who has watched you refuse to fix even the simplest of things in PowerPlay (why, for example, is there still a nominate option in neutral systems, when it hasn't been a feature for more than a year?)

I say this as someone who has likely put more time into trying to figure out not only which bugs exist, but how and why they manifest themselves in the game and how to work around them than all of your entire team has spent on PowerPlay bugs since its release.

I say this as someone who has watched how your complete lack of empathy and actions as well as your complete disregard for us has resulted in these communities fall apart.

I say this as someone who has watched friends suffer breakdowns and leaving the game because your neglect.

I say this as someone who knows that he is absolutely not the only one with similar experiences and feelings.

If PowerPlay was a pet, if the RSPCA hadn't intervened to take it off your hands for neglect and cruelty, you would have put it down years ago.

There are game breaking bugs in PowerPlay that were reported more than 2½ years ago, that allows powers to be borderline impervious, and the organized communities I mentioned have done their best to avoid them, because it would not be fair. Think about that for more than a second. They put what is best for PowerPlay well ahead of themselves.

The PowerPlay community does far more than just PowerPlay. I would challenge any organized group to show that they do more things in the game than we do. We use pretty much every single aspect of the game (except maybe CQC) in order to support our Powers. In Mahon we do BGS monitoring across almost 1,700 populated systems, and if we aren't doing active work in individual systems ourselves, we are in constant contact with the groups that to. While I cannot speak for the other powers, the same is likely true for the other 7,600 systems that are directly affected by PowerPlay. We are made up of some of the most dedicated players this game has.

You have always refused to reveal any kind of numbers for the game, even something as simple as proportional distribution of pledges, so we're resigned to using self-reported numbers, and according to Inara.cz almost 20 percent of the player base are pledged to a power. Considering the removal of pledges with 0 merits not too long ago, this indicates it is a fairly popular part of the game - your complete lack of interest in PowerPlay not withstanding.

At this point the PowerPlay community is suffering heavily from battered wife syndrome, and we're only staying with you because of the children.

Put us out of our misery, so that we may move on with our lives, rather than being stuck in what is an abusive relationship because we love the communities we have created too much to give up on them ourselves.

Kill it.

Yeah Kill it

I'm inclined to agree with Mahon & Winters leadership representatives. If FDev corporately doesn't have the resources to fix Powerplay then the best thing for everyone imho is just to say so and remove it from the game.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

So you are saying that Fdev should had stop all the plans and work they had for exploration, mining and squadrons, and just move to implement half baked Powerplay thoughts that came later into the bowl?

A lot of the issues in PowerPlay are bugs that have been reported years ago and mechanics that we have repeatedly asked to have them change (also years ago). These aren't new ideas. There's basically two new ideas that I can think of that are late to the party, but that's about it.

But there's a big difference between PowerPlay and most of the other mechanics in the game - it is directly competitive. Exploration and mining aren't competitive - they are single player activities that aren't influenced by the actions of others. Squadrons is a new feature, but I'm not even sure that will be affected by the actions of others. The background simulation is affected by others, and PowerPlay has bugs related to that as well. There's PvP of course, but unless you can be forced into wings with other people who can then mess your ship up without you being able to do anything to them, then its issues also pale in comparison to the problems faced by PowerPlay.

PowerPlay is (so far) the only pre-organized multiplayer activity that players can participate in to compete with others. That is something that a lot of people have been begging for, and PowerPlay doesn't fit them because it's never been implemented in a way that allows easy communication and organization of the players in the game. PowerPlay creates thousands of community goals every single week (transport and combat), with little to no reward for most participants (and a lot of them actively lose money just by participating), yet it is somehow surprising to the developers why no one participates in it. PowerPlay allows people to directly affect the shape of the galaxy, but there are absolutely no in-game consequences except for parts of the galaxy map overlays. At least the BGS affects legalities.

That is the problem. If exploration was suddenly hit by things akin to what PowerPlay has experienced through the last year or two, explorers would arrive in populated space and be told that their exploration data has 0 credit value, because someone in solo scanned their ship and sold their data. If it happened to mining, a single person selling a single ton of any mined material would cause that market's prices to crash for a week, and draining an asteroid or rock would result in all other rocks and asteroids within a thousand kilometers, regardless of instance, would no longer yield anything at all.

Neither Mining nor Exploration are dying, because they cannot die any more than running missions can. The PowerPlay communities, however, can die, and they've been dying for years, and have been crying for help for the entire time.

We're not asking Frontier to reinvent the wheel for PowerPlay - we're asking for what are essentially small fixes that are smaller than a new SRV, new exploration mechanics, new mining mechanics. There's no need to create new assets or even new mechanics - just changes to a few things in already existing mechanics (and that's without even touching all the bug-fixes).

PowerPlay is a great example of what, to my mind, often ails the gaming industry at large. Adding new features to attract new players is far more important than fixing bugs and polishing off existing activities (look at how buggy and unpolished wings still are), and it is a dire warning of what risks becoming of Squadrons as well.

I hope you dont count yourself into the "Mature and not toxic community", because your childish message says that you are quite toxic and not mature at all.

So you are saying that Fdev should had stop all the plans and work they had for exploration, mining and squadrons, and just move to implement half baked Powerplay thoughts that came later into the bowl? Just because it is important for you. Sorry, but Exploration, Mining and Squadrons are important to eveyone else, we have been waiting for those improvements since the begining. In my opinion, Fdev is giving a ***** about us when saying "We know you want to have Powerplay improvements, we will do them, but this next delivery we are focusing on what we promised and was scheduled a year an a half ago"

Ok maybe in my anger I did not get the point accross, this is not related to Q4 not having anything about powerplay, this is related to it being pushed back for 2 and a a half years, treat us as irrelivent. We never expected a lot but you obviously do not play PowerPlay and have no idea what had happened the past 3 weeks, 5C (which is an activity in game that cannot be countered) and Turret Boats bots has ravaged the playerbase, there is one Power (Troval) that is simply just dead, after being an active power we donot think a single player remained there...

I am so glad they are working on Exploration and Mining (Squadrons do have some effect on PowerPlay) I never said they shouldnt! Plus I do think it is a childish attitude to think that if someone is asking for simple bug fixes it means Fdev should had stop all the plans they worked on and had done and just move to implement PowerPlay.. THAT is childish (no offence intended) :)

Again it is sad as PowerPlay is the only part of the game that you will use every single aspect of the game,Exploration, Mining, Trading, Combat, Politics, personal Narrative, really sad to see how FDev just killed it.

Last edited:
I'm new to power play and just joined Li Yong-Rui last week. I think it's a very cook system. Can anyone explain to me what's wrong with it? Also a related question, do meet its I earn carry over through the weeks or are they reset every week?

Ok maybe in my anger I did not get the point accross, this is not related to Q4 not having anything about powerplay, this is related to it being pushed back for 2 and a a half years, treat us as irrelivent. We never expected a lot but you obviously do not play PowerPlay and have no idea what had happened the past 3 weeks, 5C (which is an activity in game that cannot be countered) and Turret Boats bots has ravaged the playerbase, there is one Power (Troval) that is simply just dead, after being an active power we donot think a single player remained there...

I am so glad they are working on Exploration and Mining (Squadrons do have some effect on PowerPlay) I never said they shouldnt! Plus I do think it is a childish attitude to think that if someone is asking for simple bug fixes it means Fdev should had stop all the plans they worked on and had done and just move to implement PowerPlay.. THAT is childish (no offence intended) :)

Again it is sad as PowerPlay is the only part of the game that you will use every single aspect of the game,Exploration, Mining, Trading, Combat, Politics, personal Narrative, really sad to see how FDev just killed it.

No worries, I undestand your disapointment because you want the feature you like the most, that currently is broken (no argues in that) to be fixed as soon as possible. But you don't have to be angry (You can if you want, but you don't have to). Frontier have shown interest in Powerplay several times, by saying "We know Powerplay is broken, let's talk about it", by saying "We want to change Powerplay, tell us what's the way you would like to go", by saying "We are busy now with what was already planned, but Powerplay will be coming"

I agree with you that good Powerplay mechanics are more important that many people realises (and I'm not a Powerplay or PvP player at all), but I prefer Fdev to do like they have done with exploration, dedicate one full year to make it right instead of throwing some hacks and bandages that will not fix the Powerplay game, they will just keep it on emergency care and delay the proper refurbishment of that this deserves.

No worries, I undestand your disapointment because you want the feature you like the most, that currently is broken (no argues in that) to be fixed as soon as possible. But you don't have to be angry (You can if you want, but you don't have to). Frontier have shown interest in Powerplay several times, by saying "We know Powerplay is broken, let's talk about it", by saying "We want to change Powerplay, tell us what's the way you would like to go", by saying "We are busy now with what was already planned, but Powerplay will be coming"

I agree with you that good Powerplay mechanics are more important that many people realises (and I'm not a Powerplay or PvP player at all), but I prefer Fdev to do like they have done with exploration, dedicate one full year to make it right instead of throwing some hacks and bandages that will not fix the Powerplay game, they will just keep it on emergency care and delay the proper refurbishment of that this deserves.

We would if things didnt go silent so many times. You have a power that BRAGs about playing in PG and use bots, this has burned out so many players when they see a full year work goes to the trash because they cannot find the enemy and stop them, especially these people are using illegal means. But forget about all that, I, and I am sure most of the PowerPlay player base understand the scope of the game and that the development resources are not always easy to manage, as I said I have been defending Fdev for the past year up till they really messed up with thier work. The look into exploration has been long due and I am delighted to see them go through, but small fixed really could have happened, when they jump to stop "money exploits" even those that were not at all exploits but rather needed tactics and specific gameplay like the skimmer missions, which were really a fun thing they just obliterated, when they really show so much dedication to remove fun from the game and keep it grindy, by "fixing" things on the spot, you would wonder why they do not fix really minor issues like a useless vote option in the contact menu. That vote options became absolute when they did the only patch to PowerPlay around a year and a half a go, the patch was aimed to combat 5C, good, but like everything they do, the patch was bugged, so they changed the way consolidation and preperation were voted but left that option to vote in the contact menu, now what that does is cast one preperation vote for all systems, it has really hurt a lot of strategies as a lot of new players thought since it is there they should use it... these small things, after this much time, made us too frustrated that we are venting in anger... is posting angry posts in forums any good? No... but you can understand our frustration.

Just kill it. Seriously.

Kill it.

I couldn't have said it better. I subscribe every word you said. Ehm except for the part about helping Mahon.

Just kill it. Seriously.

Kill it.
Kill it, seriously. 100% agree. It doesn't work, it's never worked, it should've never been implemented without freedom fighters or a stronger & more constructive system that isn't a boring grind. Just kill it. Take it out. It has little baring on the game or it's story yet has been a massive headache for everyone involved from the consumer and I'm sure to you fine folks trying to design it.

Just kill it. Seriously.

Kill it.

I'm new to the forum (not in the game with almost 4000 hours played) and so I can not give you reputation but fully support every word you say here is more, I'm surprised that you continue playing PowerPlay after so many things that you comment (and more than sure you've left in the Inkwell).

For this you say and more, for me PowerPlay remained years ago in what for most players is currently: a way to access "special" weapons. Many only register for a power 4 weeks and at that time do nothing to play it. They only limit that when it arrives on Wednesday of the fourth week, they transport 720 tons of rubbish to reach level 3 and access those weapons.

In that to remain the PowerPlay and it is a shame because well done, we all know what could be.

So yes dear Cmdr, I support each and every one of your words.

Kill it.

Top Bottom