Steal something from Eve

Sort of a neat graphical feature in eve is that it shows your course in first person view, at least a few jumps out (not a regular eve player, don't know the parameters).
A quick google didn't let me find any examples, but it shows as IIRC a faint green line showing at least the next few jumps of your course - kind of a neat feature.

Gamebreaker or huge deal? Not at all. Just would be a nice touch.

Sort of a neat graphical feature in eve is that it shows your course in first person view, at least a few jumps out (not a regular eve player, don't know the parameters).
A quick google didn't let me find any examples, but it shows as IIRC a faint green line showing at least the next few jumps of your course - kind of a neat feature.

Gamebreaker or huge deal? Not at all. Just would be a nice touch.

EVE is basically an arcade shooter without realistic physics or distances, showing a line like that in ED wouldn't work because the game and galaxy doesn't work the same as EVE, when you are in a system in ED the only objects rendered are the current system, the rest you see in the galaxy around you is a non-interactive 2d bitmap, however the galaxy map does allow you to see the entirety of your course.

EVE is basically an arcade shooter without realistic physics or distances, showing a line like that in ED wouldn't work because the game and galaxy doesn't work the same as EVE, when you are in a system in ED the only objects rendered are the current system, the rest you see in the galaxy around you is a non-interactive 2d bitmap, however the galaxy map does allow you to see the entirety of your course.
Not sure what point the attack on Eve is for? (shrug) whatever gets you going, I guess. I don't play it, so epeen away.

If the background is the bmp you assert, it's generated on the fly as you enter a system; with the stars' apparent positions mapped more or less accurately onto the skybox for your instance.

It would be truly trivial for the programmers to ALSO then (on that bitmap) draw a faint green line (or whatever) from your next jump point to the next, and the next and the next, with that line fading proportionally as the distances recede, maybe out to X jumps or Y maximum ly.

Did you notice that when you perform a jump in the current game, that the star you are targeting is highlighted in your cockpit view? That's possible because the 2d skybox still mostly corresponds to the real positions of the stars relative to your position. If it's possible to highlight the next star in your route this way, it ought to be possible to highlight the next 3-5 stars in your route and plot them out as a line in 1st person view.

Did you notice that when you perform a jump in the current game, that the star you are targeting is highlighted in your cockpit view? That's possible because the 2d skybox still mostly corresponds to the real positions of the stars relative to your position. If it's possible to highlight the next star in your route this way, it ought to be possible to highlight the next 3-5 stars in your route and plot them out as a line in 1st person view.
Yep I've already done this.

Yes but it will be a flat image with no correspondence to distance and angle, it will be a flat line on a regular display but at best will look silly in VR, nothing like the track used by EVE because the method of displaying the background is completely different. The actual targeting circle you see is a part of the heads up display and you could put as many lines on the HUD as you want on that, but it will still be lines on the HUD and not the 3d 1st person view you see in EVE.

Yes but it will be a flat image with no correspondence to distance and angle, it will be a flat line on a regular display but at best will look silly in VR, nothing like the track used by EVE because the method of displaying the background is completely different. The actual targeting circle you see is a part of the heads up display and you could put as many lines on the HUD as you want on that, but it will still be lines on the HUD and not the 3d 1st person view you see in EVE.
Ahh I see. I've not played EVE, so I was mostly going by the description given in the OP, and the way (s)he described it, sounded like something which would work fine in ED. I'd still be happy to have it outside of VR, and even in VR I don't think I would mind the disconnect between the (nonexistent) depth of the starfield and the flat overlay of the GUI on top; it is after all supposed to be a projection inside your cockpit anyway.

Not sure what point the attack on Eve is for? (shrug) whatever gets you going, I guess. I don't play it, so epeen away.

If the background is the bmp you assert, it's generated on the fly as you enter a system; with the stars' apparent positions mapped more or less accurately onto the skybox for your instance. It would be truly trivial for the programmers to ALSO then (on that bitmap) draw a faint green line (or whatever) from your next jump point to the next, and the next and the next, with that line fading proportionally as the distances recede, maybe out to X jumps or Y maximum ly.

1) See this is your problem, it wasn't an attack, you've just taken offense for no reason to try and invalidate my point. EVE is basically an arcade shooter without much reference to real world physics, that's not an attack, that's just pointing out that the two games have massively different approaches to being space games. EVE is an arcade shooter in space, ED tries to be as best as possible a simulation of the galaxy in which players exist.

2) The skybox is generated from the calculated position of the stars while you are in hyperspace during the loading screen, how can they plot a line on the 2d background when that line may be constantly changing? First if you finish your jump and want to plot a new course there's no line because there was no course set, then you enter the galaxy map and plot a course, you want the game to run another loading screen while it recalculates the the galaxy background to add you line? Every time you enter the galaxy map the game recalculates the plotted route. If there are no changes to your ship load out then it remains the same, if you calculated the route with no cargo then drop into a station and load up with 700 tons of cargo then it will need to recalculate the route because some of the jumps will now be to long for the loaded ship.

Even in normal travel the calculated route may change as players decide they want to visit an interesting star, the route of your ship through the galaxy is a dynamic path that changes based on your decisions, the skybox is generated once when you enter a system, it never updates following that entry, so there's a chance that any route plotted against the background will not be accurate by the time you are ready to leave the system. I can only imagine that FDEV will enjoy dealing with the complaints about that.

You need to leave EVE in EVE, having a plotted route display in ED like in EVE isn't possible, it can be simulated in a way that isn't as good and really provides no valuable information and would in the end be unreliable. I personally don't see any advantage in it and some technical problems that would just lead to complaints by players, so for FDEV it's a lose lose.

1) See this is your problem, it wasn't an attack, you've just taken offense for no reason to try and invalidate my point. EVE is basically an arcade shooter without much reference to real world physics, that's not an attack, that's just pointing out that the two games have massively different approaches to being space games. EVE is an arcade shooter in space, ED tries to be as best as possible a simulation of the galaxy in which players exist.

2) The skybox is generated from the calculated position of the stars while you are in hyperspace during the loading screen, how can they plot a line on the 2d background when that line may be constantly changing? First if you finish your jump and want to plot a new course there's no line because there was no course set, then you enter the galaxy map and plot a course, you want the game to run another loading screen while it recalculates the the galaxy background to add you line? Every time you enter the galaxy map the game recalculates the plotted route. If there are no changes to your ship load out then it remains the same, if you calculated the route with no cargo then drop into a station and load up with 700 tons of cargo then it will need to recalculate the route because some of the jumps will now be to long for the loaded ship.

Even in normal travel the calculated route may change as players decide they want to visit an interesting star, the route of your ship through the galaxy is a dynamic path that changes based on your decisions, the skybox is generated once when you enter a system, it never updates following that entry, so there's a chance that any route plotted against the background will not be accurate by the time you are ready to leave the system. I can only imagine that FDEV will enjoy dealing with the complaints about that.

You need to leave EVE in EVE, having a plotted route display in ED like in EVE isn't possible, it can be simulated in a way that isn't as good and really provides no valuable information and would in the end be unreliable. I personally don't see any advantage in it and some technical problems that would just lead to complaints by players, so for FDEV it's a lose lose.

1) Please. I'm not sure who you think you're convincing, but snide deprecation is just a passive-aggressive form of attack. EVE is not, really in any sense, an "arcade shooter". The suggestion is hilariously flawed. I don't know a lot of coin-arcade games that have complex player-driven economies, elaborate crafting systems, factions, reputations, ship fitting, etc. Again, I don't play EVE, I don't personally enjoy eve but "spreadsheets in space" has nothing to do with 'arcade shooters'. So which is it: an attack, or are you farcically ignorant of how EVE is played? FWIW, probably a better comparison for EVE would be a WW1 naval sim "in space" given how ship movement and combat is potted. It's practically sailing ships, sans wind direction with their sort of "broadsides" level of tactics.

2) Meaningless objection. The moment you plot the new course in the Galactic map, the game ALREADY (in that context) connects a line (in that map) where you are with Star A, B, C, etc to your destination. You're already otherwise IN an instance with a resolved skybox (since you can't do that while jumping). So unless you're asserting that ED is unable to conceptually connect stars on the galaxy map with visible stars in the skybox, this is trivial. The "change of viewpoint" you keep talking about is meaningless - that's why they can 'get away with' a skybox...parallax effects don't meaningfully exist for stellar distances (in the scope of ED) for objects outside the system (ie not rendered).

Literally, it's 'connect white dot A on skybox with a line to white dot B, to white dot C, etc with a line that fades along its length'. I doubt this would take someone in Frontier more than an hour to implement.
You're spending a lot of emotional energy arguing against something a) trivial and b) entirely outside of your control. That's curious but very internet of you.

In case other people who aren't reflexively dismissing the idea want to see what I'm talking about, here's a very rough example (I don't have eve installed or I'd just grab a screenshot)
Plot.png

The "next" would be our current 'aim at the jump point'. And the line would fade through to the destination, or maybe stop at the galaxy-mapped fuel star, etc. Essentially it's just putting SOME of the gal-map info INTO the first person view.

There's no parallax to the skybox, it's WHY they can do those distant stars as a skybox.

It's absolutely possible, even with the sky map in ED being flat. There's no reason they couldn't do this, that raster layer is generated by stellar forge so...

But I don't think it's worth adding. I get where you're coming from. It'd be neat to see your route plotted visually (it'd actually help layer perspective of your actual location). Just like it'd be neat to enable star names on the skybox (maybe just "hover over" anyway). Just, not a big deal and definitely not worth ripping off.

PS Eve is not an arcade shooter.

I wouldn't mind having that if it would be optional and I would be able to turn that off. That's pretty much my stance on every suggestion that's optional in nature.

I would prefer - if we're talking about changes to skybox - to be able to select my jump destination by selecting it on the skybox (if you want to go to certain star, it's annoyingly hard to find it on the galaxy map). Not holding my breath though.

And on the more general subject of "stealing stuff from other games", we have this quote from FD lead designer Gareth Hughes in the recent Polygon interview about the latest Dev Diary revelations:

I think Elite’s always been fairly unique in its execution. It’s found its own kind of identity. [...] I think if we look too hard at what others are doing, then really, we’re just starting to create a facsimile. And I’m not particularly interested in that. I like to be inspired by other people. That’s as far as it goes for me, I think. I like the fact that Elite has a unique identity, and I’m not really that interested in moving it closer to other games.

This could be visually cool, though there would be no functionality to it as far as I can see, since you can't pick a star on the space box and plot a route. So this feature would be a super low priority.

I don't understand, why there is a debate on loading the space box. All such lines and circles you see in elite are just projections of your HUD. They're not actually drawn in real space you know.

When you replot your course, you get a new destination reticle, and I suppose, these lines could be added. I don't think it's a biggie, just a little pointless.

When you replot your course, you get a new destination reticle, and I suppose, these lines could be added. I don't think it's a biggie, just a little pointless.
Sometimes i see something in the distance which i want to go to, but i can't find in the galaxy map because of the awful popup issues that occur at around 50+ Ly distance. I try and orient based off the reticle, but it's hard to get that orientation without selecting a couple reference stars.

Having a few jumps of the line plotted in the skybox would greatly aid with achieving that orientation.

Top Bottom