Steam - a blessing or a curse?

The big con is the DRM, and of course GOG.com is the obvious alternative if that's an issue.

That said, even though I care a lot about DRM on many other forms of media, I'm among those who have decided to just take the bitter pill when it comes to Steam.

I will say that Steam tracking your gameplay is more of a PRO than a CON to me. I like being able to get statistics on how many hours I've played which games, and being able to see those statistics (if they choose to share them) for my friends. I also like my friends being able to see what I'm playing and being able to see what they're playing. It's fun and social. And Steam's ability to display a friend's game list and filter it down to what products you have in common is genius.

Things that I think you didn't list which are also important to me for Steam:
  • Cloud saves mean I can uninstall a game, reinstall it on a different computer or after formatting my hard drive, etc., and pick up from where I left off with no hassle or effort taken to worry about maintaining or transferring my save files [important note: not all Steam games are cloud-save enabled, but that number seems to be increasing]. I can even play the same game on multiple different machines and continue with my save on whichever computer I happen to be using at the time. (This can be super handy if you have both a laptop and a desktop, for example.)
  • Steam serves as a good catalogue of my games. To be honest, I tend to forget about games that I have bought if they're not on either Steam or GOG, especially if I've uninstalled them temporarily. But if they're in one of those databases, then I can go to my games list and see, "Oh hey, that's right, I own that, let's play that a bit."
  • Reviews, Curators, updates on what my friends are playing, and Steam's built in recommendations engine are actually quite good at exposing me to new games I might like that I wouldn't otherwise have heard of, especially from indie developers
  • Normalizing features like voice chat, screenshots, gamecasting, multiplayer game launching and invitations, etc., into a super-layer rather than making each game implement these features independently makes a lot of sense, and means that a lot of smaller games that might not have these features at all otherwise gain them
  • The wishlist and gifting services have been downright invaluable to me -- in the age of digital content, one of the hardest things has become giving gifts. Most ebook and audiobook stores don't let you gift individual books, relying instead on you giving the person gift cards. Streaming music and video services make the idea of gifting specific albums or movies kind of irrelevant. But Steam, assuming you and the person in question both have a Steam account, makes it trivial to look at someone's wish list and gift them a game from it. For my game-loving friends, I use that feature a LOT.
That said, I think GOG Galaxy is trying to catch up to Steam, and if they eventually do, it would be a nice alternative in terms of lacking the DRM. They're likely to have to fight hard against the "Facebook Effect", though (i.e. I prefer this platform, but everyone I want to interact with is on that other platform that I hate).

I will admit that the biggest feature, though, for me, is probably the sales. I don't buy anything straight-up on Steam anymore, or at least, I do so only rarely. (I think I actually bought Elite : Dangerous + Horizons at the flat-out non-sale price.) Most of the time if I want a game I wishlist it, and I buy games in response to them going on sale for >50% off, which Steam notifies me of if they're in my wish list. (Well, it notifies me if they're discounted any amount, but I only pull the trigger if it's >50%, usually.)

Overall, I'm very happy with Steam. I own (checking...) 286 games on it, so clearly I'm sold on the platform. I do also maintain a GOG account (with 57 games), though. Buying direct is kind of the lowest echelon for me, if only because I've gotten to the point that I launch Steam or GOG when I want to play a game, so games installed outside of those are probably going to be "out of sight, out of mind" for me after a fairly short while. I have Magic: The Gathering: Arena: How Many Subtitles Can One Game Have as a standalone, and I just genuinely never think to launch it. Same thing for games where I have to launch platform-specific or vendor-specific portals.

That said, I think GOG Galaxy is trying to catch up to Steam, and if they eventually do, it would be a nice alternative in terms of lacking the DRM.
I mean, they literally just made Galaxy into Corsair's April Fool gag from this year, which is something.

So a flash sale that I caught wind of with just minutes to spare forced my hand, and I grabbed a cheap copy of ED on Steam. I like how I can order games from any web browser. Now I'm just waiting for my new PC to arrive, and then I'll be seeing what Steam is all about for myself.

After buying ED, I took liberty to browse around the Steam website for other titles. I was kinda surprised at the high prices of older games, especially compared to what those same games cost on the Playstation Store. One of the games I'd like to get is Rise of the Tomb Raider, a game that cost me around $12 on PS+. On Steam it was still launch-day price. :eek:

So, what's the deal with sales and free games and even demos on Steam? Somebody mentioned something about a wishlist. If I put RoTR, NMS, Subnautica, and the other games I'd be interested in on that list, will they email me when these go on sale? Will Steam sales ever compete with PS+ sales? I know that part of my PS+ prices being low is my yearly subscription, whereas Steam is free. Does Steam offer demos, or do I need to get those from somewhere else?

Somebody mentioned something about a wishlist. If I put RoTR, NMS, Subnautica, and the other games I'd be interested in on that list, will they email me when these go on sale?

Yes.

Steam sales are very frequent (there are around 1K games on sale every single day), so unless a game was just released, or you want it very badly, it usually pays off being a little patient. NMS for instance was at 50% discount several days before the last update released. When bought IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad at full price, it went on sale 50% discount a week later... Somtimes you can get full collections of great franchises for discounts up to 90%... I'd wager the frequent steam sales is the reason why people have steam collections with hundreds of games...

Keep an eye on their "specials" page for discounts, or better add all the games you want (or are curious about) to your wishlist and you'll get emailed the day they go on sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/specials

Having games on your wishlist will also keep you informed about updates, developer announcements, and releases (if you wishlisted them during early access).

Last edited:
Also, always go and check https://isthereanydeal.com/ before buying any game anywhere. Steam games aren't only purchased on Steam, many other digital stores sell keys that you can redeem on Steam. There are always tons of games on sale these days. If you don't absolutely need to play now, it's silly to pay full price (well, unless you're swimming in money, feel happy about sending all the money to devs, use Steam to launder money, etc).

Hey, I have new question. Since Steam is the DRM, does it remove old DRM? For example, I'm a huge fan of the older Silent Hunter (III & IV) series, but Ubisoft is known for having intrusive DRM. Did Steam remove all Ubisoft's garbage and replace it with their own unified DRM system? I hope so, as I'd rather have just one unified digital rights manager than a bunch of separate ones breaking my Windows 80 different ways.

Did Steam remove all Ubisoft's garbage and replace it with their own unified DRM system? I hope so, as I'd rather have just one unified digital rights manager than a bunch of separate ones breaking my Windows 80 different ways.

No luck there unfortunately...

Yeah, publishers keep cramming unnecessray layers of their own DRM on top of simply having Steam. It's ridiculous.
And pointless too, with day one cracks for Denuvo on many games now...
But the DRM industry is going to keep scamming publishers out of their money and giving them nothing in return for as long as they can keep that gravy train going...

Well that's crappy... I tend to avoid games that have obnoxious DRM, even if the game itself is relatively good.

I also just noticed some games missing from Steam. I take it EA has their own store?

I also just noticed some games missing from Steam. I take it EA has their own store?

Yes, the most recent EA games are only on Origin. But since it's EA games we're talking about, it's not like we're missing anything... Ubisoft on the other hand also has their own platform, some of their games (like Assassin's Creed Odyssey or older Anno series) are on steam too, but the most recent ones only of their platform (like Anno 1800).

Yes, the most recent EA games are only on Origin. But since it's EA games we're talking about, it's not like we're missing anything...
I do like the Star Wars Battlefront games, but I own them on PS4 so I don't need them on PC. I'll just stick with Fortnite! :p

I bought Skyrim for PC on disc awhile back, and to my surprise the disc installed Steam, which apparently was needed to install Skyrim. So I already have a Steam Account (hopefully I still have the username and password as well) for Skyrim.

One of the things I like about console gaming is the ease of the Playstation Store. Steam appeals to me for the same reason. I started this thread because of the amount of negativity I read about Steam in another thread about downloading ED from Frontier. So far in this thread, it seems that there are more supporters of Steam than detractors.

To be honest I can't even fathom why can someone "hate" steam nowadays... The digital store is far better than any other competitor, the amount of available games is huge, the download speeds are completely ludicrous, it auto-updates your games and keeps your saves safe in the cloud, it has the mod workshop that is good enough for most games (not nearly as awesome as Nexus Mods own tool Vortex for building your perfect Skyrim build), has a constant huge stream of discounts... You have 2 hours to refund a game if you find that it doesn't work, there are customer reviews, etc... And it "just works".

To be honest I can't even fathom why can someone "hate" steam nowadays... The digital store is far better than any other competitor, the amount of available games is huge, the download speeds are completely ludicrous, it auto-updates your games and keeps your saves safe in the cloud, it has the mod workshop that is good enough for most games (not nearly as awesome as Nexus Mods own tool Vortex for building your perfect Skyrim build), has a constant huge stream of discounts... You have 2 hours to refund a game if you find that it doesn't work, there are customer reviews, etc... And it "just works".
If Steam lives up to the hype, it will actually negate a number of reasons why I left PC gaming for console years ago. While I want options like graphic settings (which are hidden on consoles), I also like simplicity. Click, buy, install, play. :D

If Steam lives up to the hype, it will actually negate a number of reasons why I left PC gaming for console years ago. While I want options like graphic settings (which are hidden on consoles), I also like simplicity. Click, buy, install, play. :D
PC gaming these days is only as complicated as you'd like to make it...not much different from doing the same on console to be honest. I spent quite a few years on the Xbox before coming back to PC, I still play on the Xbox one X too.

I like the illusions of freedom in PC gaming and the obvious options... as a comparison between the different platforms...but it's all much the same nowadays.

Steam is just a digital store front I am neither a lover or a hater. They have some good offers and what not.
I AM annoyed at valve for stopping making games however, they let some really strong IPs rot

It seems that some people love Steam and other people hate it. Someday I might actually have the privilege of having to chose whether to buy ED on Steam or directly from Frontier, so I'm weighing the pros and cons now. Here's what I have so far:
PROS:
  • Ability to save lots of money through sales and free games
  • Ease of installation
  • Portability (Steam tracks my catalog, making the move to a new PC easier)
  • Security (only one company has my credit card, rather than dozens)
  • Easy way to run games on Linux
CONS
  • Whatever DRM Steam uses
  • Slight performance hit due to launcher running in background
  • Spyware (at the very least, Steam tracks what you play and when)
  • Potential target vector for hackers / malware
For me personally, the pros may outweigh the cons. On the other hand, if I were to get a laptop capable of running ED, odds are ED would be the primary game of just a small number of games I'd get. I'm still a console gamer at heart.

So, what does everyone think? IIRC, the latest version of ED sold on Steam requires the Steam client in order to play it, so the "just run ED directly instead of via Steam" advice no longer applies. It's either get ED directly from Frontier, or get it (and some other games) from Steam and play it using Steam. I'm just not sure which way to go.

I am an old conservative gamer. For the longest time I have wanted all my games to be in a box, on a disc, with a manual.
But I have learned to love the Steam service. As far as I am concerned all the pros are real, and all the cons are contrived, or non existing in my everyday experience.

I have never been bothered by Steam DRM, whatever it is supposed to be. It never seemed to affect my experience. This can not be said about DRM in the day and age of games on CD and DVD. Man, those DRM could really ruin your game.
Never had problems with performance hits, or never noticed them.
I don't care about being a minuscule atom in steams game play statistics.
I never was hacked or plagued by malware.

Games are so huge and beautiful these day. I am grateful I don't need to install them from 20 DVD.

EDIT: I would still like a huge paper manual for Elite. I hope that one day FDev decides to release some thick, cool, hard cover game manual with beautiful art on every page.

Last edited:
Top Bottom