Steam Machines

While it's slightly offtopic, I as one of backers yearning to get Linux version of ED someday had to post it :)

So Valve has released their second surprise this week and it is of course as expected Steam box - or Steam machine. But nothing has changed from their plans to work openly with other vendors. They have produced a prototype box to get game development rolling out. So SteamOS will be like Android in terms of corporation with different vendors (only much more open and without Java API based layer, everyone still can pick up their tools of trade).

Read more about it here http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

From realistic point of view, this is golden. There's tons of Linux based home entertaiment systems out there, there's expertise of packaging those, QAing and packaging. Played right this could really deliver. Also could be ideal opportunity to deliver ED for teens to play on TV.

Edit: also this bit is interesting "The nearly 3,000 games on Steam. Hundreds already running natively on the SteamOS, with more to come. The rest will work seamlessly via in-home streaming"

FAQ really tells whole picture :)

Last edited:
While it's slightly offtopic, I as one of backers yearning to get Linux version of ED someday had to post it :)

So Valve has released their second surprise this week and it is of course as expected Steam box - or Steam machine. But nothing has changed from their plans to work openly with other vendors. They have produced a prototype box to get game development rolling out. So SteamOS will be like Android in terms of corporation with different vendors (only much more open and without Java API based layer, everyone still can pick up their tools of trade).

Read more about it here http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

From realistic point of view, this is golden. There's tons of Linux based home entertaiment systems out there, there's expertise of packaging those, QAing and packaging. Played right this could really deliver. Also could be ideal opportunity to deliver ED for teens to play on TV.

Edit: also this bit is interesting "The nearly 3,000 games on Steam. Hundreds already running natively on the SteamOS, with more to come. The rest will work seamlessly via in-home streaming"

FAQ really tells whole picture :)

That's actually... interesting.

I recently installed fibre optic broadband, and this raised an interesting possibility, that the wifi we all use to connect to our home broadband could be a bottleneck. Then I thought, the router and fibre optic is near the hd-tv.

What better place for a console (steambox or whatever) to hook directly into the broadband without the wifi bottleneck slowing down the connection.

Ideal place to play a multi-player game like Elite: Dangerous.

Is Steam OS really going to be a full operating system or is it a user interface for a variety of gaming enabled devices?

It's a full operational system, based on GNU/Linux. Interface you looking was Steam with special TV look.

Steam still as service will be available on Windows, Mac OS X and regular GNU/Linux distributions like Ubuntu or Fedora.

Steam Box: the experience of playing a game as if it was on a console, while purchasing from Steam, at Steam prices (which, where I live, is a HUGE difference; Steam games are slightly cheaper here than in the US, while console games cost roughly 2x what they cost in the US). On top of that, far better compatibility with older games, with no need to re-purchase such games as "virtual console" or otherwise redone versions (I still regularly play games that, if measured in video game generations, would stretch across at least 5 generations, so this is really important for me); anything that won't run on the Steam Box can be run in a different computer and streamed in real time to the box.

Besides, it's open. We can change (and upgrade :D ) the hardware as we see fit; those of us more technically adept can actually build our own "console" from the ground up; we can run other software on top of it without worrying about manufacturer lock in; we can even mess with the base OS and tweak it in whichever way we want.

I still have to see how Valve will deliver this, but for the moment I'm sold. And I sure hope Elite Dangerous will work with the Steam Box, preferably as a game running natively in Linux, or failing that being at least compatible with Steam's streaming tech.

I've already been running Steam under 64bit Ubuntu since the start of the year. Lol it's practically a Steambox already:p

There's currently 307 Linux downloads available on Steam including The Left4Dead games, The 'X' series, Counterstrike, and the hot favourites Dota 2, and The Raven. The former of which is free, and the latter of which is 20% off right now. Also among the completely free Linux titles is Team Fortress 2

I've already been running Steam under 64bit Ubuntu since the start of the year. Lol it's practically a Steambox already:p

There's currently 307 Linux downloads available on Steam including The Left4Dead games, The 'X' series, Counterstrike, and the hot favourites Dota 2, and The Raven. The former of which is free, and the latter of which is 20% off right now. Also among the completely free Linux titles is Team Fortress 2

I'm looking forward to seeing "Metro Last Light" as the native port is undergoing final testing and should be finished this year. :D

Top Bottom