General / Off-Topic Stephen Hawking Memorial petition

Technically I think the law regarding a picture of a dead person is a grey area. It’s not copyrighted per se but if linked to a trade mark can be inferred to be copyrighted. A face can become IP, for example The KFC logo, there are others too.
I can’t see anyone having an issue with it, I’m sure Mr Hawking would find it pleasing. But a simple letter to the estate of any proposed recipient of a hologram would be easy enough, a reply could indicate a yes or a no, and no reply would have to indicate a no.

I do hope they do this. It’s far easier to do than space legs after all

So it seems to be settled then the users have spoken, positively and possibly for the first time on this forum there is no flame war or massive argument. So all that remains is for FD to step up and decide what to build/rename.

Cygnus X-1 is unreachable with current FSD tech so we wouldn't be able to visit it :(

As others have pointed out, it should be quite reachable:

RkTd4Hp.jpg

Located approximately 7,500LY's from the bubble:
sHT27EB.jpg

This place is of historical significance, and the subject of a most amusing bet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygnus_X-1

I would gladly travel the 7,500Ly's to go there again if a beacon/memorial/ship would be placed there in his honour.

As others have pointed out, it should be quite reachable:

Located approximately 7,500LY's from the bubble:

This place is of historical significance, and the subject of a most amusing bet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygnus_X-1

I would gladly travel the 7,500Ly's to go there again if a beacon/memorial/ship would be placed there in his honour.

This. The itinerary of such a ship could start there, swing to the Maia black hole to pick up people from the bubble, then across to Fedgie AA-A h14 (an intermediate mass black hole in the galactic east), the Great Annihilator, Sgr A*, Hole in the Sky, Black in Green, and back to V1357 Cygni. Would make also a useful support for deep space explorers; fuel up, get the dents bashed out, refill your AFMU, maybe an element trader so you can refill with jumponium, etc.

Technically I think the law regarding a picture of a dead person is a grey area. It’s not copyrighted per se but if linked to a trade mark can be inferred to be copyrighted.

That's not how image copyright works.... The holder is generally the photographer / image creator, and last (in the UK as an example) until the death of the author + 70 years. Then there's consideration such as personality rights, passing off etc. possibly in multiple countires.

Maybe i should just ask one of my clients seeing as how they are an IP law firm. That way it would clear it up once and for all :)

Top Bottom