Still dreaming of ship interiors

I agree, for some reason I think that the interior of the ships makes me feel that only then would ED be complete. the rest would be just extras.

Only then would it feel complete, finished.

Nah, full atmospheric worlds. Ship interiors are less important in my books than every possible planet landable (or at least atmosphere enterable for gas giants).

I don't understand what you're doing here either. You have more arcade options like EVE online for that
And you could have X4, or similar?

I'd be quite happy if Frontier added everything else to the game (landable heavy atmosphere worlds, more ships, many more mission types, etc.) and put in interiors as the final expansion.

I agree, for some reason I think that the interior of the ships makes me feel that only then would ED be complete. the rest would be just extras.

Only then would it feel complete, finished.

For me, that would be able to land on full atmospheric worlds. We could land on them in Frontier: Elite 2 and Frontier First Encounters. No matter how much ED has improved on, or expanded upon, previous versions of the game, the inability to have my base of operations be Fort O'Brien on Emerald, in the Cemiess System, can be frustrating at times. I want to fly my Cobra Mark III under Emerald's beautiful skies as I return home from frustrating the Evil Galactic Federation.

Yes, being able to get out of our ships on foot is nice. EDO includes decent enough stealth gameplay to keep it interesting for me, being able to explore 60% of the worlds out there, limited though our exploration gameplay may be, would've been far more interesting IMO.

And you could have X4, or similar?

I'd be quite happy if Frontier added everything else to the game (landable heavy atmosphere worlds, more ships, many more mission types, etc.) and put in interiors as the final expansion.

Same here. Elite games have always been about operating space ships for me, and FE2 extended the area of operations to a relatively realistic simulation of the Milky Way galaxy. Operating the SRV was a nice bonus, especially considering how much fun Frontier made it, and so is the on-foot stuff, but I was hoping to see an improved FE2 first, just like the Kickstarter promised to be an improved Elite first.

Full atmospheric worlds will probably, if ever, come after ship interiors. It's the far greater undertaking, and it will likely require another bump of of the minspecs of the game, so that's years in the future.

As an additional art pass for the game, it seems neat. Not a priority, but still desirable. EVA stuff would be more for gameplay if they can find a reason to do so. This one's purely a "look at this cool stuff!" gimmick.

1. I'm not a fan of turning ED into The Sims

How is it different from customization of the ship's exterior or its dashboard?

3. Coming soon 'Elite Dangerous: Dinner Party' - host your own select gathering from the comfort of your own ship!
Clearly, you aren't a fan of the RPG aspect either. But some people are.

2. This sounds like it has potential, but in reality it's just an invitation for more asymmetric PvP.
As a trader/explorer, what would be my motivation for engaging in defensive gameplay?
What would I do with a ship once I'd boarded it? Steal some cargo? We already have hatchbreaker limpets for that.
It's a nice idea, but I can't see how it would work in practice
I'd imagine something like this: when the ship is boarded and the pilot is killed in FPS, he loses the ability to claim the ship back while that ship is flown by another pilot.
Nobody likes losing access to their ships, and/or one's life -- that's motivation, isn't it?

We already have hatchbreaker limpets for that.
Sure, but this can be extended with data-stealing missions including exploration data too.
And it will be a nice aspect of FPS.

I'd imagine something like this: when the ship is boarded and the pilot is killed in FPS, he loses the ability to claim the ship back while that ship is flown by another pilot.
Nobody likes losing access to their ships, and/or one's life -- that's motivation, isn't it?

Motivation to just stop playing the game altogether more like it, this sort of forced FPS game play with extreme punishment of losing control of your ship for as long as the other player wanted to fly around in it? That would drive a lot of players away, that's just the sort of forced PvP I think a large majority of players are against!

Motivation to just stop playing the game altogether more like it, this sort of forced FPS game play with extreme punishment of losing control of your ship for as long as the other player wanted to fly around in it? That would drive a lot of players away, that's just the sort of forced PvP I think a large majority of players are against!
Indeed. I'd handle it so that if you lose control of your ship, you get to rebuy it. Meanwhile the original ship will be hot and not available for rebuy. If it gets destroyed, it's gone. Can't give it back to the original owner either once he has rebought it, that way preventing duplicating of legal ships. As long as it hasn't been rebought, return to the owner should be possible, clearing it in the process. That would open the possibility to willingly had over control to another player, so he can test the ship and give it back afterwards.

Shouldn't there be at least an option to have some level of risk and challange in the game? Of course, if you prefer otherwise, you can play solo or in a closed group.

Shouldn't there be at least an option to have some level of risk and challange in the game? Of course, if you prefer otherwise, you can play solo or in a closed group.

Optional is the word here, it's not optional to be boarded, killed and your ship stolen if you fly in open as many of us do, I have flown 7000 hours in open. Yes you could fly solo, and therefore be restricted from meeting interesting other players who also don't want to kill you, or PG where the only players you will meet are players you already know, if of course they happen to be playing the same time as you. The largest player groups in the game in fact are PvE groups, Mobius for instance, all this will do is drive more players away from open.

Risk and challenge are not the same as being ganked by another player in an uber killboat, having them board your heavily engineered exploration ship and then fly off with it and stop you from using it for however long they want, that's not good game play for at least one player in the equation, you understand it's a game right and meant to be fun right?

There are ways to introduce risks and challenges, for instances it was once a challenge to fly to Beagle Point, now it's just hop aboard a handy FC going that way and get out when you get there, demands to remove risk and challenge are common on the forums so I don't see this going anywhere.

Optional is the word here, it's not optional to be boarded, killed and your ship stolen if you fly in open as many of us do, I have flown 7000 hours in open. Yes you could fly solo, and therefore be restricted from meeting interesting other players who also don't want to kill you, or PG where the only players you will meet are players you already know, if of course they happen to be playing the same time as you. The largest player groups in the game in fact are PvE groups, Mobius for instance, all this will do is drive more players away from open.

Risk and challenge are not the same as being ganked by another player in an uber killboat, having them board your heavily engineered exploration ship and then fly off with it and stop you from using it for however long they want, that's not good game play for at least one player in the equation, you understand it's a game right and meant to be fun right?

There are ways to introduce risks and challenges, for instances it was once a challenge to fly to Beagle Point, now it's just hop aboard a handy FC going that way and get out when you get there, demands to remove risk and challenge are common on the forums so I don't see this going anywhere.
First of all, the example of possible (<<< the keyword) gameplay was just that -- an example. As you can see above, others already started to think of ways to improve that example.
Second, I don't see how ship-to-ship PvP is any different from the inside-ship FPS PvP. Say, the attacker will have to intercept and immobilise the target first, disable its shields, breach the armour and only then engage in FPS PvP. Or indeed in PvE for that sake, why not?!

Risk is fine, but the potential to lose a billion credit ship and all the associated materials you put into it is going to be a bit much for a significant amount of players. There's a reason 5% cost rebuys exist.

There would also have to be something significant for the attacker to lose as well if caught (their entire ground gear inventory and materials whether they're wearing it or not might be a fair trade) or it's not a fair confrontation.

Risk is fine, but the potential to lose a billion credit ship and all the associated materials you put into it is going to be a bit much for a significant amount of players. There's a reason 5% cost rebuys exist.

Is it the main reason why we have so many FCs in the game? ;-)
But, of course, the exact penalty for losing the battle should be discussed broadly before any proposal.

There would also have to be something significant for the attacker to lose as well if caught (their entire ground gear inventory and materials whether they're wearing it or not might be a fair trade) or it's not a fair confrontation.

Yep, absolutely. To a degree that for boarding the ships will have to be connected, allowing defenders to turn into attackers.

Still, I thought of the possibility to capture some kind of data from the ship. And for PvE it will make even more sense, for example, investigating old ships, retrieving data from their computers while fighting defending drones etc etc etc.

I'm a bit confused on the vision of boarding and stealing someone else's ship.

While Flying:
  • It seems impractical while flying in space. Unless a concept is introduced that allows one ship to latch on to another. Busting into a ship would be a significant task while flying.
  • I'm imagining a pirate trying to cut through the armored hull of a ship. Best case scenario they somehow attached over the cargo hatch and bust through that, like a limpet.
  • Ok now what. the pirate has busted into the cargo hold. How does he bust through the door into the cockpit? Are doors really that crappy in this future universe? A cutting tool? Thats gonna take a while. Don't forget the cargo is open to the vacuum of space, so the cockpit door isn't your average crappy door.
  • Ok, pirate has busted into the cockpit and somehow killed the pilot that was waiting for him with a plasma canon. Now what? Gotta disengage his own pirate ship. Maybe an NPC flys it? Both the cargo and cockpit doors are busted open, so you gotta fly in vacuum.

Maybe ships are built really poorly, designed for easy pirate attack.

Seems like quite an addition to a game that doesn't currently have a reasonable way of entering/existing your own ship.

Edit: If the game just makes it "possible through magic" the risks are very heavily weighted in the favor of the pirate. A cheepo vulture with not much to lose latches onto a billion Cr Imperial Cutter trade ship.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused on the vision of boarding and stealing someone else's ship.

While Flying:
  • It seems impractical while flying in space. Unless a concept is introduced that allows one ship to latch on to another. Busting into a ship would be a significant task while flying.
  • I'm imagining a pirate trying to cut through the armored hull of a ship. Best case scenario they somehow attached over the cargo hatch and bust through that, like a limpet.
  • Ok now what. the pirate has busted into the cargo hold. How does he bust through the door into the cockpit? Are doors really that crappy in this future universe? A cutting tool? Thats gonna take a while. Don't forget the cargo is open to the vacuum of space, so the cockpit door isn't your average crappy door.
  • Ok, pirate has busted into the cockpit and somehow killed the pilot that was waiting for him with a plasma canon. Now what? Gotta disengage his own pirate ship. Maybe an NPC flys it? Both the cargo and cockpit doors are busted open, so you gotta fly in vacuum.

Maybe ships are built really poorly, designed for easy pirate attack.

Seems like quite an addition to a game that doesn't currently have a reasonable way of entering/existing your own ship.
Pretty much every ship has at least one or even more airlocks that could be used, hacking/overriding the lock should be possible. And a new limpet controller firing docking pods instead of limpets would be possible too. That could then also connect airtight and keep the atmosphere pressure even after busting through airlock or hull.

Pretty much every ship has at least one or even more airlocks that could be used, hacking/overriding the lock should be possible. And a new limpet controller firing docking pods instead of limpets would be possible too. That could then also connect airtight and keep the atmosphere pressure even after busting through airlock or hull.
Try visualising that. Two unfriendly ships traveling through space in combat situation and one tries "docking" with another?

Edit: Don't forget F=ma

Top Bottom