Still dreaming of ship interiors

edit: oops, something failed here

1. Customizing the ship interior making it your home.

My character's home is the Stevenson Estate outside Fort O'Brian, on the world of Emerald, in the Cemiess system. Someday, I'd like to be able to move my base of operations closer to home than MacKenzie Relay, in orbit above the planet.

My ship is where I work... or more accurately these days, while away the hours because I haven't needed to do real work since before the game released.

2. FPS boarding/defending/looting.

You'd have been better off trying to sell me repairing my ship in lieu of an AFMU...

3. Social and RPG play.

I generally have to schedule visits with my family and friends weeks in advance. Socializing in game is the last thing I desire, and IMO RPG play is meaningless if there aren't game mechanics that would make in-character decisions actually have meaning.

Last edited:
1. I'm not a fan of turning ED into The Sims
3. Coming soon 'Elite Dangerous: Dinner Party' - host your own select gathering from the comfort of your own ship!

2. This sounds like it has potential, but in reality it's just an invitation for more asymmetric PvP.
As a trader/explorer, what would be my motivation for engaging in defensive gameplay?
What would I do with a ship once I'd boarded it? Steal some cargo? We already have hatchbreaker limpets for that.
It's a nice idea, but I can't see how it would work in practice
Since you are a Trader and Explorer, and not a combat pilot, why would you even care about this type of gameplay. It's clearly not aimed at you.

Hence why I don't care about ship interiors. I believe that was the exact point I was making.
I care about it when I explore. Having the ability to hover above ground and drop on the ground with my suit on and no SRV would be great for when I can't land. Or just hover there and scan that plant. I don't really need to land for that.
Having wrecks and stuff like that to explore in space would be awesome to.

I'm very much for ship interiors, but if I'm honest, I'm not very much for Fdev's ship interior. They'll probably be very basic, with no gameplay and just empty corridor with a fade to black when you click on the chair. And if we follow the FC interior logic, the only panel in the entire ship you'd expect to be usable would not be. With absolutely 0 of the feature and stuff you'd expect.

I care about it when I explore. Having the ability to hover above ground and drop on the ground with my suit on and no SRV would be great for when I can't land. Or just hover there and scan that plant. I don't really need to land for that.
Having wrecks and stuff like that to explore in space would be awesome to.

I'm very much for ship interiors, but if I'm honest, I'm not very much for Fdev's ship interior. They'll probably be very basic, with no gameplay and just empty corridor with a fade to black when you click on the chair. And if we follow the FC interior logic, the only panel in the entire ship you'd expect to be usable would not be. With absolutely 0 of the feature and stuff you'd expect.
You want ship interiors so you can go outside?

That'd be like getting spacelegs and then demanding the ability to sit down. Oh. Wait...

You want ship interiors so you can go outside?

That'd be like getting spacelegs and then demanding the ability to sit down. Oh. Wait...
Just like spaceleg doesn't mean you only get 2 legs and nothing else, or "spaceship game" doesn't mean all you get is a spaceship in an empty space, ship interiors doesn't mean all you get is an empty corridor you can't leave.

The whole point of ship interior is to be able to do things inside and outside your ship which is prevented by the lack of said interiors. One of them would be the ability to go inside and outside the ship without having to land.
Another would involve going inside other ship interiors.

Last edited:
Just like spaceleg doesn't mean you only get 2 legs and nothing else, or "spaceship game" doesn't mean all you get in a spaceship in an empty space, ship interiors doesn't mean all you get is an empty corridor you can't leave.

The whole point of ship interior is to be able to do things inside and outside your ship which is prevented by the lack of said interiors. One of them would be the ability to go inside and outside the ship without having to land.
Another would involve going inside other ship interiors.
You could 'fade to black' to the ground without needing ship interiors. Walking to the door is not a requirement for being able to exit the ship.

You could 'fade to black' to the ground without needing ship interiors. Walking to the door is not a requirement for being able to exit the ship.
Ok, and then how I get back in ? And still doesn't help when I want to just scan that plant without landing. Or wreck explorations

I mean, it's not like we can do it anyway.

I just throw some examples about stuff I'd like to do for explo, and I would be able to do them with ship interiors. That's it. I thought about it for like 5m, and that's only a few of examples. There are plenty of things to do with ships interiors. SC have them, and they are useful apparently. Starfield will possibly have those to. X4 have them and I like them.

Yes, it's very much possible to have interesting ship interiors. Yes, it's also very possible to have useless ship interiors (and considering Fdev modus operandi, it's likely what we would get). Yes, I understand you may not be interested in them. On the other hand, considering the topic keep on popping up and always get many pages, it seems a certain amount of player share my point of view on the subject.

One of them would be the ability to go inside and outside the ship without having to land.
^^^
That's a good point, though I wouldn't be surprised that Frontier will require you to land in order to leave the chair. I'd be disappointed if that was the case, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Ok, and then how I get back in ? And still doesn't help when I want to just scan that plant without landing. Or wreck explorations
How do you get in now?
Still not seeing how ship interiors are required for doing stuff outside the ship, given that you can do stuff outside the ship in EDO now.

Exploration of wrecks doesn't actually require ship interiors - it just requires an EVA module. There's no law that says the wreck has to have a matching layout to a flyable ship, and exploring megaships would be far more interesting anyway.

I'm all for EVAs, but they're not dependent on ship interiors

Would be comical if FDev changed Apex to use a Dolphin, and put seats in the center with something of a window view so people can experience their ship interior. Just like with the FC interiors, the hype would last a week then turn into something rarely used (even more so than FC interiors which can have the Bartender selling mats).

How do you get in now?
Still not seeing how ship interiors are required for doing stuff outside the ship, given that you can do stuff outside the ship in EDO now.

Exploration of wrecks doesn't actually require ship interiors - it just requires an EVA module. There's no law that says the wreck has to have a matching layout to a flyable ship, and exploring megaships would be far more interesting anyway.

I'm all for EVAs, but they're not dependent on ship interiors
This is what he's talking about:

Currently, if you want to disembark in Odyssey, you need to land your ship to do so. If it's a big ship, or the terrain is rough, you might have to land quite some distance away.

Theoretically, if ship interiors existed, you could do the following:
  1. Drop your ship right over the site you're interested in, even though there's not enough room to land.
  2. Get out of your chair, navigate through the ship to the hatch, and open the hatch.
  3. Jump down from the hatch, do your business on the surface, and jump back up to the hatch.
  4. ????
  5. Profit!
This is something I've done in Space Engineers, Empyrion: Galactic Survival, as well as another space game whose name eludes me that has full ship interiors. There's also potential for multi-player missions, where the pilot of the ship drops off the rest of the team on the roof of a building, rather than landing at the landing pad, or a kilometer away from a settlement.

When ship interiors are implemented I will buy the update and play again.
There are plenty of concrete ideas out there. Mock ups, blueprints, flyt-hroughs.
vog06qyyyht71.jpg

8h4499zyyht71.jpg

This is what he's talking about:

Currently, if you want to disembark in Odyssey, you need to land your ship to do so. If it's a big ship, or the terrain is rough, you might have to land quite some distance away.

Theoretically, if ship interiors existed, you could do the following:
  1. Drop your ship right over the site you're interested in, even though there's not enough room to land.
  2. Get out of your chair, navigate through the ship to the hatch, and open the hatch.
  3. Jump down from the hatch, do your business on the surface, and jump back up to the hatch.
  4. ????
  5. Profit!
This is something I've done in Space Engineers, Empyrion: Galactic Survival, as well as another space game whose name eludes me that has full ship interiors. There's also potential for multi-player missions, where the pilot of the ship drops off the rest of the team on the roof of a building, rather than landing at the landing pad, or a kilometer away from a settlement.
If FDev want you to be able to drop out of a ship which is hovering they can do that without step 2. They simply enable the current disembarkation mechanism when at less than 20m altitude.

Not a single dream I have had has been about ship interiors.... But I suppose that could be just me, my dreams are much more likely to invoke the word censor if I described them...

Ship interiors would be the link between the two currtently separated playmodes, space and ground. This could make the game feel more whole instead of having the immersion breaking blackscreen everytime you switch between the modes.

But I am still against implementing them.
I agree, for some reason I think that the interior of the ships makes me feel that only then would ED be complete. the rest would be just extras.

Only then would it feel complete, finished.

Top Bottom