Still dreaming of ship interiors

Not at all. Thats why I said in the past tense. The game already is what it is. At this point adding any player effort regarding ship maintenance or repair would be met with resistance.
to wade back into my own thread :D

I concur.

The space-sim game is what it is, as there is still lots of QOL left to implement.
But even in the run-up to Odyssey, I had stopped playing horizons as there wasn't much left in it that I wanted to do or see.

Exploration (without additional gameplay aka ship interiors) is a painfully dull experience.
I would like to go to Colonia, but it's too dull.
Similarly, going to the Inara bases.
I would love to help take on Thargoids but I'm not a combat-focused individual.
Improving my ships, is slow progress, and now that process is slowed down by game time diverted to Odyssey and it's engineer grind (2023 for engineer upgrade?)

so for me, the only thing that would pull me back INTO the spaceship side of things is to have "MORE" things to do "with" the ship, aka walking around them, and other people's ships - exploration, salvage derelicts. Imagine weapons being able to be liberated of their hardpoints?

Having that cohesive feel of just walking off your ship and not having a "fade-to-black" would, for many help anchor the two game modes (odyssey and horizons) as a single experience.

Exploration (without additional gameplay aka ship interiors) is a painfully dull experience.
Non-sequitur. Ship interiors have no discernable relation to exploration. Or do you mean we should clamber into a ship's locker to get changed into our Artemis suits to go bio-scanning?

Colonia's far from dull. You're not doing it right. The struggles there have been keeping many players occupied for years.

Non-sequitur. Ship interiors have no discernable relation to exploration. Or do you mean we should clamber into a ship's locker to get changed into our Artemis suits to go bio-scanning?

Colonia's far from dull. You're not doing it right. The struggles there have been keeping many players occupied for years.
non sequitur is correct Ship interiors have NOTHING to do with exploration.
but that is also the point, it gives "something else" to do whilst you are exploring or traveling far....far...far. away from other ships and people.
I've tried going to colonial, multiple times, or even to some event in a nearby nebula, 30-50 jumps away.
but I just can't stomach the 200+ jump to colonial as I get bored about 15 jumps out.
and with the little game-time I get, I would limit my gameplay for weeks to just doing "jumps", when I'd rather go to settlements repair missions.

Ok, i get ship interiors, but for those who want more gameplay, i don't see why ship interiors vs something else that would actually add more gameplay than contrived busy-work that ship interiors might add (with yet another layer of engineering grind for ship interiors - come on, you know it will happen, its FD).

i would love to run though my ship when i want to get out look around outside.
and for the others who want to just star trek into there ship they could beam up as we do now.

Ok, i get ship interiors, but for those who want more gameplay, i don't see why ship interiors vs something else that would actually add more gameplay than contrived busy-work that ship interiors might add (with yet another layer of engineering grind for ship interiors - come on, you know it will happen, its FD).
What I want most from Elite Dangerous, or any game really, is to have the opportunity to make meaningful decisions as I play the game. Early in this game's development, every decision I'd make would be meaningful: from the ship I'd fly, to the class of modules I'd install in that ship, to the variety of commodities I'd buy as I flew between stations, to the route I'd take from the arrival star to my destination. Success would bring profit and ship upgrades, while failure might mean I'd have to downgrade a component or two. I truly felt like a struggling commander, always one bad experience away from bankruptcy, which is the experience I expected from an Elite game.

Over the years, the overall number of meaningful choices as I played the game decreased. Credit reward inflation meant I could fly any A-rated ship I choose, and still expect to make a generous profit even if I performed extremely poorly. Despite the variety of commodities increasing, the number of valid choices in cargo decreased, because the new commodities were usually far more profitable than the old ones. Missions compensated for the loss of meaningful choices somewhat, but were even more profitable than the new commodities were. Where once I felt like the struggling commander I was in previous games, I now feel like a wealthy dilettante, who simply flies her ship to cure her ennui, and supports brave freedom fighters struggling against the Evil Galactic Federation for the thrill.

Horizons delayed this downward trend for a while. Engineering represents the biggest net increase of meaningful choices in the game for me. I don't grind for my components, so choosing to risk my ship, my cargo, and my mission success by dropping into a potentially hazardous USS has meaning. The choice of taking a mission from "the bad guys" for a G5 reward vs working with the "good guys" has meaning. Heck, the fact that I need to stay alert for USSs along my route through a system is a meaningful choice. ;) Passenger missions, as much as I enjoy putting passengers through my “adrenaline tours”, brought with them even more credit reward inflation.

Odyssey is the first expansion where I felt like there was a net increase in meaningful choices, despite a doubling down on credit reward inflation, and then normalizing on-foot equipment to that standard… and I just realized there really isn’t much of a point to this post besides me rambling on. Especially since ship interiors are fairly low on my priority list. ;)

Since I don’t want to rambling on after past lunch, here’s the TLDR version of the rest of this post:

Anything you don’t like can seem like busywork, as well as stuff badly implemented. If Frontier is going to devote time to developing interiors, I hope it won’t seem like busywork. But I’d much rather they devote time to full atmo planets, because exploration needs a lot of love, and exploring a life-bearing world should be awesome with the current EVA ability.

What I want most from Elite Dangerous, or any game really, is to have the opportunity to make meaningful decisions as I play the game. Early in this game's development, every decision I'd make would be meaningful: from the ship I'd fly, to the class of modules I'd install in that ship, to the variety of commodities I'd buy as I flew between stations, to the route I'd take from the arrival star to my destination. Success would bring profit and ship upgrades, while failure might mean I'd have to downgrade a component or two. I truly felt like a struggling commander, always one bad experience away from bankruptcy, which is the experience I expected from an Elite game.

Over the years, the overall number of meaningful choices as I played the game decreased. Credit reward inflation meant I could fly any A-rated ship I choose, and still expect to make a generous profit even if I performed extremely poorly. Despite the variety of commodities increasing, the number of valid choices in cargo decreased, because the new commodities were usually far more profitable than the old ones. Missions compensated for the loss of meaningful choices somewhat, but were even more profitable than the new commodities were. Where once I felt like the struggling commander I was in previous games, I now feel like a wealthy dilettante, who simply flies her ship to cure her ennui, and supports brave freedom fighters struggling against the Evil Galactic Federation for the thrill.

Horizons delayed this downward trend for a while. Engineering represents the biggest net increase of meaningful choices in the game for me. I don't grind for my components, so choosing to risk my ship, my cargo, and my mission success by dropping into a potentially hazardous USS has meaning. The choice of taking a mission from "the bad guys" for a G5 reward vs working with the "good guys" has meaning. Heck, the fact that I need to stay alert for USSs along my route through a system is a meaningful choice. ;) Passenger missions, as much as I enjoy putting passengers through my “adrenaline tours”, brought with them even more credit reward inflation.

Odyssey is the first expansion where I felt like there was a net increase in meaningful choices, despite a doubling down on credit reward inflation, and then normalizing on-foot equipment to that standard… and I just realized there really isn’t much of a point to this post besides me rambling on. Especially since ship interiors are fairly low on my priority list. ;)

Since I don’t want to rambling on after past lunch, here’s the TLDR version of the rest of this post:

Anything you don’t like can seem like busywork, as well as stuff badly implemented. If Frontier is going to devote time to developing interiors, I hope it won’t seem like busywork. But I’d much rather they devote time to full atmo planets, because exploration needs a lot of love, and exploring a life-bearing world should be awesome with the current EVA ability.

I understand that, but its completely irrelevant to whether ship interiors or something else should come first.

Ship interiors would be the link between the two currtently separated playmodes, space and ground. This could make the game feel more whole instead of having the immersion breaking blackscreen everytime you switch between the modes.

But I am still against implementing them.

I understand that, but its completely irrelevant to whether ship interiors or something else should come first.
Agreed. I’d rather have full Atmo planets with complex ecosystems myself. But if Frontier’s going to do interiors, I hope they’ll at least do an adequate job of it. I’d hope for decent, but this is Frontier we’re talking about. The last thing I want is a repeat of the station’s docking bay, where there’s nothing to do except look at your ship and sprint between its hatch and the elevators.

non sequitur is correct Ship interiors have NOTHING to do with exploration.
but that is also the point, it gives "something else" to do whilst you are exploring or traveling far....far...far. away from other ships and people.
I've tried going to colonial, multiple times, or even to some event in a nearby nebula, 30-50 jumps away.
but I just can't stomach the 200+ jump to colonial as I get bored about 15 jumps out.
and with the little game-time I get, I would limit my gameplay for weeks to just doing "jumps", when I'd rather go to settlements repair missions.
You can just go on the weekly fleet carrier shuttle to Colonia. I do it overnight when I'm asleep. Even jumping only takes a couple of hours now thanks to the naughty step highway.

At the very least having to run all the way through large ships would make smaller ships more attractive. :D
Whenever I read this, no natter if from players or FDEV, it just baffles me. Should potential ship interiors really involve that, then it's only due to deliberately bad design. Important places that you need to go to often would naturally be placed near the lift connecting entrance and cockpit = short paths. Areas requiring less frequent visits could be deeper within the ship. That said, we humans have already developed horizontal fast transport in spaces as well, not only vertical. Heck, our lift capsule could also move in a horizonal shaft midship. Ship interiors, even large ones, don't have to be tedious, unless you deliberately make them tedious. Then again, that is exactly what we've come to expect from FDEV, right ? Tedium, repetition, grind. And yet still I want ship interiors.....

Top Bottom