Still dreaming of ship interiors

If Odyssey had been released as it is today, a year ago, it would still have gotten negative reviews from those who still game on ancient hardware (or are just bitter because there were no ship interiors, or whatever), and it is a much better state today than it was then.
surely It has to be acknowledged that regardless the level of hardware you got. The performance is terrible and seems to be ever diminishing returns. The higher spec you got.
the more money you spend the more noticeable the performance problems are.

That's why i maintain that they need to work on performance and nothing else. We don't need to be sitting at a bar while trading with a bartender. Or making the captain's ipad thingy work. All this comes across to me as pure fluff and padding for the change logs. Lists of useless additions and minor fixes looks great on the update info but translates to bog all in the tasting of that particular pudding.

Some meaningful optimisation and performance work. Its also fair to say Fdev said this last update and the next are performance and optimisation focused... Strike 1 on the most recent update cos noting has changed.

What about it ? If Odyssey had been released later, in a more refined state, maybe like it is now, then a lot less players would have been lost, reviews would be a lot better than they are, which in turn harms sales to new players. More copies sold, more ARX sold, resulting in more revenue a year later with a brighter future outlook on future development of the game.
Oh I agree that if Odyssey had been released in the state like update 8, or maybe if they'd stated it's really a beta and improvements were coming, then a lot more people will be around now. They didn't, they released it before year end so they could put the sales on the books. From a Business point of view, they had to release something otherwise the balance sheet for that year would have looked horrendous and to a public limited company, that can be a death knell. So whatever state Odyssey was at the time, was what we were getting. The Irony being that is exactly what fdev's publishers did to them when Frontier:First Encounters was released.

The reality is we're stuck with what we've got and can only hope that fdev continue to develop and support the game going forward. Will that include ship interiors? I hope so but it won't be part of Odyssey. If they put that in, it will be another paid for DLC because of the amount of work that would be required (same for Odyssey on-foot VR). So I'm just enjoying the Odyssey content (now that the vast majority of it is working) and hopefully ship interiors will be further down the road.

surely It has to be acknowledged that regardless the level of hardware you got. The performance is terrible and seems to be ever diminishing returns. The higher spec you got.

That's why i maintain that they need to work on performance and nothing else. We don't need to be sitting at a bar while trading with a bartender. Or making the captain's ipad thingy work. All this comes across to me as pure fluff and padding for the change logs. Lists of useless additions and minor fixes looks great on the update info but translates to bog all in the tasting of that particular pudding.

Some meaningful optimisation and performance work. Its also fair to say Fdev said this last update and the next are performance and optimisation focused... Strike 1 on the most recent update cos noting has changed.
For the last three patches already, my performance has been quite solid. In space I'm getting 100+ FPS, stations have improved from initially 40ish to 60-80 FPS. The only place that still drops my below 40 FPS (but not below 30) is ground settlements, and that is entirely on my seven year old i7 5960X. There are CPUs out there that are twice as fast by now. Still I'm playing on 3840x1600 native, no FSR, graphics card is a 3080ti.

Interesting - my PC is pretty reasonable, performance is ok with EDO...
Image2.png

Not so good with another title it is compared with...

We elect to spend money on hardware, it will always be diminishing returns as the 'premium' for top-end is noticable, and soon to be toppled by the newest generation, roll on Q3 2022 and 5nm product!

For the last three patches already, my performance has been quite solid. In space I'm getting 100+ FPS, stations have improved from initially 40ish to 60-80 FPS. The only place that still drops my below 40 FPS (but not below 30) is ground settlements, and that is entirely on my seven year old i7 5960X. There are CPUs out there that are twice as fast by now. Still I'm playing on 3840x1600 native, no FSR, graphics card is a 3080ti.
indeed mate thats the problem. hundreds of FPS in one place and sub par when you go into a ground war. Not to mention stuttering etc.
Also do a test with your system. go to a settlement, stand on one spot and change the settings from low through to high. and you'll see little to no difference on any of the settings. The problems of performance are not related to hardware uberness. Its more fundamental than that. its the game the engine etc etc whatever the case may be.

And this is what they should be working on. without question this should be their sole focus.

Interesting - my PC is pretty reasonable, performance is ok with EDO...
View attachment 311306
Not so good with another title it is compared with...

We elect to spend money on hardware, it will always be diminishing returns as the 'premium' for top-end is noticable, and soon to be toppled by the newest generation, roll on Q3 2022 and 5nm product!

Whataboutism mate. you are better than that.

Your FPS figures are excellent. clearly 5 hours spent in space. No body is getting performance as it should be on the ground. regardless what rig they have and it must be acknowledged.

No body is getting performance as it should be on the ground. regardless what rig they have and it must be acknowledged.
Really? Just what 'should' it be, and at which resolution?
Whataboutism mate. you are better than that.
No, pal... quite the opposite....

ETA: Performance in EDO is not on a par with EDH... I get 50% greater FPS in Horizons in a similar situation as EDO - but how many FPS do I need?
On the ground, in a settlement, or CZ, I'm looking at an average of 125 FPS... It could be 50% more, but is unlikely to ever be that well optimised.

Last edited:
indeed mate thats the problem. hundreds of FPS in one place and sub par when you go into a ground war. Not to mention stuttering etc.
Also do a test with your system. go to a settlement, stand on one spot and change the settings from low through to high. and you'll see little to no difference on any of the settings. The problems of performance are not related to hardware uberness. Its more fundamental than that. its the game the engine etc etc whatever the case may be.

And this is what they should be working on. without question this should be their sole focus.
I agree that the difference between space and ground is way too high.

Really? Just what 'should' it be, and at which resolution?

No, pal... quite the opposite....

ETA: Performance in EDO is not on a par with EDH... I get 50% greater FPS in Horizons in a similar situation as EDO - but how many FPS do I need?
On the ground, in a settlement, or CZ, I'm looking at an average of 125 FPS... It could be 50% more, but is unlikely to ever be that well optimised.

You should reasonably expect to get 90 solid frames on the ground with new high end GPUs and high settings.
That chap above 3080ti... getting 40s in the ground settlements.
I get 50s with stutters into 30s from time to time but average 40s also. 1440p on a 6800xt.

Saw a chap in you YouTube vid on a 3090 gpu getting sub 40s... its an ever going meme at this point. from 200+ in space to a sub 40fps stuttering mess on the planets.

And it doesn't matter a jot what kind of system you got. its the same across the board. and your GPU will be sitting there at 25-30% usage.
Apparently thats a bad design/optimisation honestly i don't know the ins and outs. But suffice to say nothing is good about the performance situation in Odyssey.

My consistent point across this entire discussion. Is they need to focus on the performance and optimisation and i do believe the lost player base will return to a game that works.
ANd indeed their lost content creators will return to a game that works and performs to a reasonable level

True - in space I get 300+ FPS (even more in EDH) , but there is nothing there to need any resources, so it isn't too great a surprise, not to me anyway.
There is quite a lot going on in station concourses though, and the difference between that and space is nowhere near as bad. There's also no problem on planets away from settlements. It's only in the settlements themselves.

There is quite a lot going on in station concourses though, and the difference between that and space is nowhere near as bad. There's also no problem on planets away from settlements. It's only in the settlements themselves.
deffo this.

So far as i can tell the performance is related to the number and activities of NPCs.

Ground combat zones where there are the most number of them, both friendly and opposition is where performance goes off a cliff.

But i get 70-80 fps on those defence combat missions on the ground. the ones where you protect a cache of some sort.
But that has far less NPCs around. only 4 friendlies and 4 attackers in waves.

Then of course an empty settlement like the ones you come across on the restore power missions the settlement has no NPCs and the performance is 90+fps sometimes higher.

SO deffo it seems to me the NPCs, either the graphical requirements, the AI/engine load on the game etc etc, whatever the case... this is where the FPS goes to die.

What about it ? If Odyssey had been released later, in a more refined state, maybe like it is now, then a lot less players would have been lost, reviews would be a lot better than they are, which in turn harms sales to new players. More copies sold, more ARX sold, resulting in more revenue a year later with a brighter future outlook on future development of the game.
The game is now playable on PC for many people. I like it because I really want to play a space game. I ignore many issues.

If the game was released today instead of a year ago players like myself would certainly be happier than we were a year ago, but we wouldn't have the awfulness to compare it to so it would still seem pretty bad.

• Consoles dropped
  • Riddled with bugs
  • UI is clunky and bizarre
  • Framerate issues.
  • First Person Shooter added, kinda sorta. But its not going to sell as an FPS shooter game.
  • Minimal new spaceship gameplay. I'm basically playing Horizons in Odyssey environment.

The game is now playable on PC for many people. I like it because I really want to play a space game. I ignore many issues.

If the game was released today instead of a year ago players like myself would certainly be happier than we were a year ago, but we wouldn't have the awfulness to compare it to so it would still seem pretty bad.

• Consoles dropped
  • Riddled with bugs
  • Framerate issues.
  • First Person Shooter added, kinda sorta. But its not going to sell as an FPS shooter game.
  • Minimal new spaceship gameplay. I'm basically playing Horizons in Odyssey environment.
That though is within what has become the new normal with new game releases, and a couple of patches should fix that. At the very least it wouldn't be worse than some other updates have been, like 1.3, which intitially broke superpower military ranking, or the patch that introduced ARX and initially broke pretty much everything. The dealbreaker was indeed that the initial EDO release was indeed entirely unplayable for a lot of players due to the performance. I didn't really start playing it until after the first 6 months.

That though is within what has become the new normal with new game releases, and a couple of patches should fix that.
Really? A couple of patches is going to fix:

• Consoles dropped
  • Riddled with bugs
  • Framerate issues.

Really? A couple of patches is going to fix:

• Consoles dropped
That would not impact the view towards the game by PC users much. It could have also been handled more gracefully by announcing the account transfer together with the cancellation. But even after how poorly it was handled in reality, there are still quite a lot more console players that will switch to PC regardless than I expected. It could have still been more.
  • Riddled with bugs
Riddled is not quite true anymore at the current patchlevel.
Yet there are many many players who would not want to go back to the Horizons UI.
  • Framerate issues.
This is the big one, although it's already a lot better than it was.
That's dislike of the game content itself though, no amount of bugfixing and performance optimisation can fix that. If you don't like what it is, then that's it, it's simply not for you.

Top Bottom