Still dreaming of ship interiors

I’m just mentioning that I had another dream last night with myself checking out the ship from the inside and outside after docking at a space station.

My subconscious was inspired I guess by a video montage of c64 games that one could spend hours playing and elite (and exile) were in the list.
They aren’t that common but ship interiors are one of the few regular re-occurring dreams that I have.

just had to share with the only people who might actually care :)

This isn’t intended to belittle your desire for ship interiors, but what sort of gameplay elements would be tied to having them implemented?

I can think of things like internal repairs or even EVA ship boarding, but it seems like it’s fairly limited, particularly since there are plenty of other already existing opportunities for adding gameplay.

When it comes to ship interiors and gameplay benefits (or a lack thereof), I think it's worth noting that this game has always been primarily about immersion and atmosphere for a lot of players. There is a lot that ED doesn't do especially well. Honestly, there isn't that much that ED actually does especially well, as compared to other games in a specific niche (e.g., space combat in ED vs. Squadrons). What ED absolutely nails is the feeling of existing in this universe. A lot of people will apparently put up with B- or C-tier gameplay to just be in ED. For those people, ship interiors are an end unto themselves. I'm one of those people, so I wholeheartedly support it.

There's always that question of "what sort of gameplay does it add?" with any additions to a game.
And that's certainly a good question that devs need to consider. You don't want to just throw things into a game because you want everything just to have it.
But like @CMDR Ramsgate said, it's not always about the gameplay as much as the immersion or atmosphere.
You can't neglect the "cool factor" when making video games.
Warframe allows players to play dress-up doll with their warframes and spend hours decorating their ship interiors. It adds nothing to the game but people do it cuz ...it's fun...it looks cool.
We customize and fiddle with all sorts of things in our own daily lives: We do it with our food, we do it with our clothes, we do it with our homes;
people invest their lives into making things "cool" as opposed to purely doing something because it's functional or practical or "adds to the gameplay."

I'm certainly not holding my breath or going to get bent outta shape over it, but I'd like to see some ship interiors in ED, cuz "cool".

Ship interiors without gameplay remind me of holome when they introduced ir.

Completely pointless.

I saw that Ed bloke do video on it and just thought why? What is the point.

We need gameplay if it's to be done
So you've never used the holo-me? Are you still flying around with a default character?
You haven't bought any ship cosmetics? Not one ship paint in your inventory? You haven't used any ARX to get CMDR suits or armor cosmetics?

Last edited:
When it comes to ship interiors and gameplay benefits (or a lack thereof), I think it's worth noting that this game has always been primarily about immersion and atmosphere for a lot of players. There is a lot that ED doesn't do especially well. Honestly, there isn't that much that ED actually does especially well, as compared to other games in a specific niche (e.g., space combat in ED vs. Squadrons). What ED absolutely nails is the feeling of existing in this universe. A lot of people will apparently put up with B- or C-tier gameplay to just be in ED. For those people, ship interiors are an end unto themselves. I'm one of those people, so I wholeheartedly support it.
Okay, then here's a compromise for you:

We get A-tier gameplay, THEN we'll support your request for ship interiors.

Deal?

The only problem with ship interiors and VR legs and a lot of other projects is you'd end up tying the limited resource at fdev for elite for a year or more doing it if not longer. Would you be happy for all other aspects of game development to stop just to deliver ship interiors for 12 months or more ? Fleet carrier interiors are cool but by now unless I specifically need to visit something there I dont even bother leaving my ship now I dock, tell my carrier where to go, wait until it gets there and leave. The only time it might be different I need consumables from frontier supplies. Maybe swap something for bartender sales. Granted I might have more of a need when I leave the bubble to go and do more exobiology and need to visit vista.

I dont mind ship interiors. I'd take a trip through every ship once probably.

Before FD even considers adding interiors, they need to fix the missing shortcut button to teleport from cockpit to concourse and vice versa (ref X4 and earlier versions)

The only problem with ship interiors and VR legs and a lot of other projects is you'd end up tying the limited resource at fdev for elite for a year or more doing it if not longer. Would you be happy for all other aspects of game development to stop just to deliver ship interiors for 12 months or more ? Fleet carrier interiors are cool but by now unless I specifically need to visit something there I dont even bother leaving my ship now I dock, tell my carrier where to go, wait until it gets there and leave. The only time it might be different I need consumables from frontier supplies. Maybe swap something for bartender sales. Granted I might have more of a need when I leave the bubble to go and do more exobiology and need to visit vista.
That's pretty much what happened with Odyssey TBH. GalNet shut down for a while, CGs stopped and aside from fleet carriers (that were delayed from the end of 2018) we didn't get much in the way of stuff added to the game. Arx, a few QoL adjustments and the noob zone if I remember correctly.

So it'd be nothing new if another DLC tied up everything again.

Even just exploring derelicts, repelling Thargoid boarders after a visit to one of their planets or even theft or sabotage missions on other ships is the start of some gameplay ideas that could be done here.

So long as it can be a bit more polished than Odyssey at launch anyway.

Here you go OP, just a taste:

vin2.jpg vin3.jpg vin4.jpg vin5.jpg vin7.jpg

That's pretty much what happened with Odyssey TBH. GalNet shut down for a while, CGs stopped and aside from fleet carriers (that were delayed from the end of 2018) we didn't get much in the way of stuff added to the game. Arx, a few QoL adjustments and the noob zone if I remember correctly.

So it'd be nothing new if another DLC tied up everything again.

Even just exploring derelicts, repelling Thargoid boarders after a visit to one of their planets or even theft or sabotage missions on other ships is the start of some gameplay ideas that could be done here.

So long as it can be a bit more polished than Odyssey at launch anyway.
Exploring derelict ships would actually be great, and not altogether different from existing on-foot missions. It would add an additional element to the salvage gameplay, as well, which is currently fairly anemic.

Exploring derelict ships would actually be great, and not altogether different from existing on-foot missions. It would add an additional element to the salvage gameplay, as well, which is currently fairly anemic.
But … Why?… I’m not ‘explorable’…..

On a more serious note, I really doubt that new gameplay would be added along with ship interiors IF they were to be implemented sometime; just look at FC interiors, great potential… lackluster implementation. I hope I’m totally wrong.

Edit: typo

I dont mind ship interiors. I'd take a trip through every ship once probably.

Before FD even considers adding interiors, they need to fix the missing shortcut button to teleport from cockpit to concourse and vice versa (ref X4 and earlier versions)

And there's your issue, you would do it once? So what's the point of them? Specially if you have a teleport button, you would never do it again after that so a lot of work for no benefit. I would much rather have explorable derelict megaships and generation ships with associated gameplay, that would be much more beneficial to the player base and a useful addition to the game.

I mostly dream of jiggly bits, but then again i'm a tentacle beastie.

If it was something developed in the background i wouldn't mind so much but one year of working on things caused a lot of drama here, so dropping everything else to accomodate it would be bad... and it would take way more than a year.

Top Bottom