Stranded at the edge of the galaxy...

DW2 control, this is CMDR Liandrei of the 'Garingo Maru' DCD-DW (#14479). Seeking assistance from the fleet or Pilots Federation.

Having safely reached WP12 Beagle's Point at 3305-04-27T00:44:24Z the intrepid explorer in me drew me to the challenge of reaching Oevasy SG-Y d0 (Semotus Beacon) in the hopes of joining my fellow DW3S commanders.

In my eagerness and lapse of concentration I didn't take stock of my current inventory of materials for the synthesis of Jumponium and currently find myself stranded with insufficient jump range to leave the system.

My current location is Myeia Thaa UO-Z d13-0 2, Latitude: 28.368082, Longitude: 72.457443. The jump 50.31ly back to Myeia Thaa QI-B d13-1 where I can obtain Germanium exceeds my maximum unladen range of 49.22ly. As such I'm well and truly stuck here, probably forever and can't bring myself to hit the big red self-destruct button!

I started my journey of exploration into the stars of the galaxy, inspired by the tales of discovery across the vastness of space from veterans of the Distant Worlds 3302 expedition. So I leapt at the chance when DW2 was announced by CMDR Erimus Kamzel. I saved all of my hard earned credits from trading in my Hauler out of Sterny's Refuge in the Munshin system and bought my very own Diamondback Explorer, setting out into deep space on 13 January 3305.

I live in hope that one day I may reach safety and return alive from having made this epic voyage. CMDR Liandrei signing off, from this dark lonely rock at the edge of the galaxy.

ZmfJY0z.jpg

BdHJcdm.jpg

CMDR, I'm very sorry to hear of your condition. After scouting by both the Fuel Rats and DW2 Mechanics/Hull Seals, you are indeed stuck, good and well :( No landable planets with Germanium, no rings, no belts, no cargo to drop, your max jump range isn't enough...everything checked and double checked. Unfortunately, you're not going anywhere.

A single light year more in jump rnage and you'd be mining all the Germanium you needed. After almost 4 months, your journey is certainly perilous. However, don't despair, we're going to attempt to devise a plan.

If any of the DW2 Resource Allocation Team, Miners or others are reading this, please mobilize your teams. We'll need to mine Germanium in so much quantity that a single jumponium boost is possible for CMDR Liandrei.

The Fuel Rats will attempt to move our Capital Class Fuel Barge to the area in support of operations. If the DW2 Miners can move their assets as well, it'd be appreciated.

The DW2 Fleet is spread out, but rapidly closing in on Beagle Point. As the fleet arrives, there will be many attempting to reach Semotus Beacon and other points. This is simply the first case of CMDRs not having enough jumponium to get out of sticky situations. There's already been a 2nd CMDR who needed jumponium mats, let's do whatever we can to help them out.

(yes, this is role play, but let's see what kind of outcome we can create)

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Is that 'unladen' after you've abandoned the buggies you have? (does abandoning them affect ship jump range?)

But how will you get germanium to him? You can’t gift Germanium (a material) to him. Can you? :unsure:

Last edited:
But how are will you get germanium to him? You can’t gift Germanium (a material) to him. Can you? :unsure:
Nope... thus far, FD won't allow material transfer. It's something that would be difficult to balance. Doing it via limpet like fuel is an option.

We mechanics floated couple other ideas as well...

1. a modest range boost from following a wingmate's wake signal, say max of 5%, could potentially get you out of the bind. Similar concept as drafting behind a teammate's car in a race.

2. another idea was jettisoning hardpoint mounted modules, i.e. weapons and utility modules, and/or optional internal modules to further lighten the ship mass. Desperate situation calls for desperate measures.

Actually, if the Rats had a capital ship, like Canonn's Gnosis for example, then the above mentioned sort of rescue might be possible. Even material-transfer limpets would help I guess.
Yeah, the problem is that even if a Mega Ship left with the fleet, it's be about 20 months away from reaching the area. 500Ly/week takes a long time to get out there ;)

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Fuel. Wait a moment - if that's the range where you are can you supercruise for ages to burn off enough to get you to the 50LY jump range?

Fuel. Wait a moment - if that's the range where you are can you supercruise for ages to burn off enough to get you to the 50LY jump range?
From the OPs pic, he looks pretty low already. Burn much more and he may not have the range for that reason... I'd guess it's going to be a very delicate balance if it can be done at all.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
From the OPs pic, he looks pretty low already. Burn much more and he may not have the range for that reason... I'd guess it's going to be a very delicate balance if it can be done at all.
Indeed. But lack of fuel the rats can help with.

Thanks for the ideas CMDRs! Fuel wise I could last here indefinitely, as the star in the system is scoopable!
It may be you have too much fuel.
If you can lose say, 1/3 to 1/2 of your fuel through supercruising around, you may lighten the ship enough to make the jump. Of course, you need to balance this against still having enough to charge the drive to make the jump.... of course, the star being scoopy means if you burn off too much you can grab more.

Good Luck!

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for the ideas CMDRs! Fuel wise I could last here indefinitely, as the star in the system is scoopable!
My idea was that you have about (guessing) 10T in your tank, of which you need about 6 for the jump. If you supercruise long enough, can you reduce the 4T you don't need for the jump enough to get you over the edge jump-wise? You could test by flying away from the star until a third of the spare is gone, check your jump range, see if it's going to work. If so, is the destination scoopable, or would you need a rat to meet you there?

If so, turn on all the modules so as to burn fuel faster and see if the minimum amount required for the jump itself will get you the necessary light years.

Top Bottom