Stranded at the edge of the galaxy...

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Burning fuel by flying towards the destination will make a tiny difference to the jump distance, but it may be enough if you have to travel Hutton-esque distances to burn it off.
Which is another thought. A crazy one. refuel at the star to full. Point at the destination. Full throttle in supercruise towards it. Leave the ship for a few hours (keep an eye on it) you may be able to reduce the distance to jump to 49LY or less.

Burning fuel by flying towards the destination will make a tiny difference to the jump distance, but it may be enough if you have to travel Hutton-esque distances to burn it off.
Which is another thought. A crazy one. refuel at the star to full. Point at the destination. Full throttle in supercruise towards it. Leave the ship for a few hours (keep an eye on it) you may be able to reduce the distance to jump to 49LY or less.
Doesn't work that way, the FSD only calculates the distance from one star to the next. Where you are in (or near) the system has no effect on the fuel used for making the jump.

But you can burn fuel and lighten your ship that way. Unless you have a railgun or plasma accelerator with the Plasma Slug special effect, allowing you to quickly burn fuel by firing the weapon, you'll have to do it the old slow way by waiting until the fuel has been used by the ship's systems over time. Fuel counts as mass where jump distance is concerned, and with less fuel you can jump further. Just hope that the minimum available fuel is enough to get you over to the next star where you can get materials.

I think the in game "Unladen" is absolute maximum range, i.e. just enough fuel in the tank for one jump, and 0t cargo. "Current" is based on fuel level and cargo mass combined.
still worth checking via Coriolis outfitter to see exact ranges though.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Doesn't work that way, the FSD only calculates the distance from one star to the next. Where you are in (or near) the system has no effect on the fuel used for making the jump.
Are you sure? Ages ago we flew one system to another in supercruise to see what would happen. You can travel, but the assets are not there. A zero distance jump and they loaded. Zero distance jump.
This was waaaaaaay back in early 2015 so things may have changed.

Are you sure? Ages ago we flew one system to another in supercruise to see what would happen. You can travel, but the assets are not there. A zero distance jump and they loaded. Zero distance jump.

As far as I know the FSD still requires the same amount of fuel as if you were next to the star in the system you jumped from. I'd be happy to be wrong, however.

It wasn't really zero distance. Did you actually use no fuel? Every time it's been tested, it's been the full fuel for the distance between stars.

Their unladen (maximum jump range...i.e. enough fuel for 1 jump) is 49.22Ly, they need 50.9Ly to get to the closest system with Germanium :(

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
It wasn't really zero distance. Did you actually use no fuel? Every time it's been tested, it's been the full fuel for the distance between stars.

Their unladen (maximum jump range...i.e. enough fuel for 1 jump) is 49.22Ly, they need 50.9Ly to get to the closest system with Germanium :(
You are probably right, it was a long time ago. I've been searching the forums to see if I can find the post about it, so far no dice.

In which case we are back to somehow dumping other mass.

Hey there CMDR.

From all of us Hull Seals, we're sending our best wishes to you while we have some minds cracking on how to get you out of this situation. Keep monitoring this frequency - if we find anything, we'll let you know. Until then, we're still with you CMDR. Don't give up yet. You're not as alone as you think.

Actually, if the Rats had a capital ship, like Canonn's Gnosis for example, then the above mentioned sort of rescue might be possible. Even material-transfer limpets would help I guess.
Yeah, the problem is that even if a Mega Ship left with the fleet, it's be about 20 months away from reaching the area. 500Ly/week takes a long time to get out there ;)

The closest known operational megaships is Foster Terminal in Coeus and the Dove Enigma in Colonia. Unfortunately, even at best possible speed, they are 46,000+ light-years away. Even if they diverted immediately, it would take them 92-93 weeks to arrive. The Megaship being built at Explorers Anchorage has yet to launch, but even that one would be at least 79-80 weeks to arrive.

Last edited:

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Hmm -
Source: https://youtu.be/nvjuw1SUoIo?t=1245
watch from about 19 minutes.

You can watch all of it, but it's pretty tedious. Anyway I think (note the word think) the pilot deselected the target, dropped from SC. Then selected where he'd come from, showing a blue bit of fuel, then where he was flying to, showing no fuel needed, or so little it did not register on the fuel needed.

It is highly possible I'm confused by the video though.

Hey there CMDR.

From all of us Hull Seals, we're sending our best wishes to you while we have some minds cracking on how to get you out of this situation. Keep monitoring this frequency - if we find anything, we'll let you know. Until then, we're still with you CMDR. Don't give up yet. You're not as alone as you think.

The closest known operational megaships is Foster Terminal in Coeus and the Dove Enigma in Colonia. Unfortunately, even at best possible speed, they are 46,000+ light-years away. Even if they diverted immediately, it would take them 92-93 weeks to arrive. The Megaship being built at Explorers Anchorage has yet to launch, but even that one would be at least 79-80 weeks to arrive.
Roger that CMDR Rixxan, received your comms. Thanks for the support it is greatly appreciated and comforting to hear while I'm alone here! Looks like I may be here a while... but should have enough supplies to last the duration if I ration carefully, fuel wise the star is G-class and scoopable so good on that front. CMDR Liandrei out.

Hmm -
Source: https://youtu.be/nvjuw1SUoIo?t=1245
watch from about 19 minutes.

You can watch all of it, but it's pretty tedious. Anyway I think (note the word think) the pilot deselected the target, dropped from SC. Then selected where he'd come from, showing a blue bit of fuel, then where he was flying to, showing no fuel needed, or so little it did not register on the fuel needed.

It is highly possible I'm confused by the video though.
It's still max fuel. He's flying an AspX (very fuel efficient ship) and only jumped/travelled 3Lys which is a very short distance. The fuel usage would match. Look at 0:24, the fuel usage when he starts the trip is still almost undetectable. For a real test, it need to be a several LY jump (in an AspX probably 10+ to be good data).

Using up HS is a good idea, also the SRV mass/weight/fuel thing doesn't work, I lost an SRV recently and am down to 1...no weight diff, no range diff, the weight must be in the whole SRV bay.

Good luck anyways mate, hope you get out of your predicament.

Supercruising toward target system appears to be a no go.

For testing I made two jumps between Beagle Point and CEECKIA WM-H D11-1, Primary to Primary and recorded the log entries below. What's of interest is "JumpDist". And as expected they are the same, and match what is shown on the HUD and Galmap, 27.2 and 27.16 respectively, in game.
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T01:03:22Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Ceeckia WM-H d11-1",  "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.524911 }
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T01:10:35Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Beagle Point", "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.524900}

Next I started from the primary star in CEECKIA WM-H D11-1, completely filled fuel tank, then began supercruise toward Beagle Point for approxiately 1hr. This covered roughly 0.20 ly according to Nav panel as well as HUD display. Then I untargeted Beagle Point, dropped out of supercruise at current location, reentered supercrise, targeted Beagle Point, and charged for the jump. Following essentially the same steps as the video a few posts back. Same procedure is repeated from Beagle Point to CEEKIA WM-H D11-1, but making final jump from normal space instead of reentering supercruise.
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T02:44:00Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Beagle Point", "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.512146 }
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T03:55:43Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Ceeckia WM-H d11-1", "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.507856}

"JumpDist" in all 4 jumps remained 27.155. If game was calculating JumpDist from actual distance from target system one would expect the 2nd two jumps to be approximately "JumpDist":27.000. That was not the case. While the distance traveled in super cruise is not great, it should be significant enough to register. HUD and Nav Panel in game does reflect the distance traveled in super cruise however.

Supercruising toward target system appears to be a no go.

For testing I made two jumps between Beagle Point and CEECKIA WM-H D11-1, Primary to Primary and recorded the log entries below. What's of interest is "JumpDist". And as expected they are the same, and match what is shown on the HUD and Galmap, 27.2 and 27.16 respectively, in game.
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T01:03:22Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Ceeckia WM-H d11-1",  "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.524911 }
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T01:10:35Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Beagle Point", "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.524900}

Next I started from the primary star in CEECKIA WM-H D11-1, completely filled fuel tank, then began supercruise toward Beagle Point for approxiately 1hr. This covered roughly 0.20 ly according to Nav panel as well as HUD display. Then I untargeted Beagle Point, dropped out of supercruise at current location, reentered supercrise, targeted Beagle Point, and charged for the jump. Following essentially the same steps as the video a few posts back. Same procedure is repeated from Beagle Point to CEEKIA WM-H D11-1, but making final jump from normal space instead of reentering supercruise.
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T02:44:00Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Beagle Point", "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.512146 }
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T03:55:43Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Ceeckia WM-H d11-1", "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.507856}

"JumpDist" in all 4 jumps remained 27.155. If game was calculating JumpDist from actual distance from target system one would expect the 2nd two jumps to be approximately "JumpDist":27.000. That was not the case. While the distance traveled in super cruise is not great, it should be significant enough to register. HUD and Nav Panel in game does reflect the distance traveled in super cruise however.
The route planner has always used the distance between the centre of mass of the main star in each system, your position between them isn't used. So you can't supercruise closer to a system to jump further

The route planner has always used the distance between the centre of mass of the main star in each system, your position between them isn't used. So you can't supercruise closer to a system to jump further
The question is...

why not?

Your ship is moving, why isn't your calculation? (In lore, I understand the limits of game mechanics)

@Liandrei, say if there were some CMDRs who wanted to come say hello and stave off madness, what's the best time frame (UTC) to come drop by?

At least see your situation and make sure you're stable.

Fuel has weight. A full tank can cost you a couple of LY jump range. If you were to burn off the excess fuel (say, 2 tonnes) that might help, as your ship will then be two tonnes lighter, resulting in a slightly longer jump for the same amount of energy used.

Top Bottom