Stranded at the edge of the galaxy...

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Supercruising toward target system appears to be a no go.

For testing I made two jumps between Beagle Point and CEECKIA WM-H D11-1, Primary to Primary and recorded the log entries below. What's of interest is "JumpDist". And as expected they are the same, and match what is shown on the HUD and Galmap, 27.2 and 27.16 respectively, in game.
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T01:03:22Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Ceeckia WM-H d11-1",  "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.524911 }
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T01:10:35Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Beagle Point", "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.524900}

Next I started from the primary star in CEECKIA WM-H D11-1, completely filled fuel tank, then began supercruise toward Beagle Point for approxiately 1hr. This covered roughly 0.20 ly according to Nav panel as well as HUD display. Then I untargeted Beagle Point, dropped out of supercruise at current location, reentered supercrise, targeted Beagle Point, and charged for the jump. Following essentially the same steps as the video a few posts back. Same procedure is repeated from Beagle Point to CEEKIA WM-H D11-1, but making final jump from normal space instead of reentering supercruise.
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T02:44:00Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Beagle Point", "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.512146 }
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-29T03:55:43Z", "event":"FSDJump", "StarSystem":"Ceeckia WM-H d11-1", "JumpDist":27.155, "FuelUsed":1.507856}

"JumpDist" in all 4 jumps remained 27.155. If game was calculating JumpDist from actual distance from target system one would expect the 2nd two jumps to be approximately "JumpDist":27.000. That was not the case. While the distance traveled in super cruise is not great, it should be significant enough to register. HUD and Nav Panel in game does reflect the distance traveled in super cruise however.

Darn. Any other way to lose mass is the way to go then.

I assume the OP is certain there is no germanium in system?

Fuel has weight. A full tank can cost you a couple of LY jump range. If you were to burn off the excess fuel (say, 2 tonnes) that might help, as your ship will then be two tonnes lighter, resulting in a slightly longer jump for the same amount of energy used.

Unfortunately, even at min fuel and max range (The so-called "One Jump Wonder" level), he still would be just around one light-year short of safety.

Darn. Any other way to lose mass is the way to go then.

I assume the OP is certain there is no germanium in system?

From what organization I heard from my fellow Seals and the Fuel Rats side of things, it does appear that barring some freak accident there is no germanium in the system.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Other idea - but very 'gamey'.

A ticket to FD to delete the vehicle bay would simulate the weight-saving of dumping the scarabs. It's out of game universe, but it's odd that the mass of the vehicles is nil. It's less gamey than asking FD to spawn germanium into his inventory. FD may help - like Planet Wilson. The difference being that Wilson was a bug, this (with all due respect to the OP) is user error.

Do you have a digital version of the ship on, say, coriolis.io? You could play around with the sliders and see what modules you could dump to save weight...

The question is...

why not?

Your ship is moving, why isn't your calculation? (In lore, I understand the limits of game mechanics)

@Liandrei, say if there were some CMDRs who wanted to come say hello and stave off madness, what's the best time frame (UTC) to come drop by?

At least see your situation and make sure you're stable.
The question is...

why not?

Your ship is moving, why isn't your calculation? (In lore, I understand the limits of game mechanics)

@Liandrei, say if there were some CMDRs who wanted to come say hello and stave off madness, what's the best time frame (UTC) to come drop by?

At least see your situation and make sure you're stable.

@Rixxan , Roger that, received you CMDR Rixxan.

Some company from fellow CMDRs would certainly be most welcome and keep me sane from staring out over the black void of The Abyss!

I plan to be in the vicinity of my landing site on Myeia Thaa UO-Z d13-0 2 at around 1900 - 2400 UTC (Zulu) for the next 5 Earth-length days.

Over and out.

I have a possible solution. But there are a whole lot of 'Ifs' and a whole lot of time...

If the 2020 update includes space legs and
If as part of that you can EVA and
If you can go onto other peoples ships and
If you can wait 18 months (with that Commander as least)

You might be able to set up one of those epic rescue stories that gets into gaming articles and gets systems named. A Commander who waited for 18 months, isolated in a sytem before the game mechanics existed to allow someone to come rescue him by him EVAing to their ship.

A massive time consuming gamble, but it would be one hell of a story.

EDIT: Actually thinking this through a bit more, I don't think this would help either. If the data (which is the thing you are going to lose) is on the ship, then this saves nothing.

Last edited:
Mate, you're in all our thoughts. Be proud that you made it this far. You completed the Expedition, you'll get the decal and the respect of everyone in DW3S.

In the meantime, fly about and hope to stumble on a crash-site, with a cargo rack containing Germanium. Can't do any harm and it's something to do.

o7 Commander. Proud to have flown with you.

In the meantime, fly about and hope to stumble on a crash-site, with a cargo rack containing Germanium. Can't do any harm and it's something to do.
Interesting idea. Have you got an SRV? (sorry, only just catching up). I'm on a planetary circumnavigation right now and, when you start to cover real distances (100s of km per hour) it's amazing how many crashed ships you encounter. What's the radius of the smallest planet in that system? Maybe set out to circumnavigate it (you know, for the shear stubborn refusal to die attitude of it) and maybe, just maybe, the Reverand's suggestion might come true?

If a number of us started to look for crash sites and found something would the OP be able to wing up to get into the instance and pick up the material(s)? I guess the more people rolling the RNG the better the chances - assuming that the OP could benefit from it.

This seems to me the most logical and productive thing to do. RNG, at this point, is the only thing that will save you as there is no in-game mechanic for any of us to transfer any germanium to you. Maybe you get one of those skimmer-protected surface cache of goods and there's some germanium in the canisters.

CMDR Liandrei entering this log for the record, now in my second day marooned here and I'm doing ok. Thank you all CMDRs so much for your ideas and support! (y):)
Doing a bit of planetary circumnavigation certainly seems like the best (only!) thing I can do for now and will help stave of the Space Madness!

So grateful for the comradeship and company I have received so far and witnessing the basic human instinct of wanting to help someone out, it shall keep me going!

Liandrei out...

bc6gc0r.jpg

Interesting idea. Have you got an SRV? (sorry, only just catching up). I'm on a planetary circumnavigation right now and, when you start to cover real distances (100s of km per hour) it's amazing how many crashed ships you encounter.
I'm afraid the OP is too far away from inhabited space for that to happen.
At least when I did my circumnavigation last summer, I saw no POIs at all.

Here's a question, because I've never been there after I kilo bravo. When your ship goes pop, does it leave behind cargo and/or materials and/or data?

I'm afraid the OP is too far away from inhabited space for that to happen.
At least when I did my circumnavigation last summer, I saw no POIs at all.

Well, if he doesn't search for one, he won't find one. If he does search for one, he might find one.

Let's weigh up the negativity and positivity of those two statements, shall we?

I hear what you're saying, and I've been far enough out in the black enough times to know that it's a very, very, very long shot but this is possibly the guys only chance and we're not prepared to give up on him without trying it.

Thank you for your input.

Top Bottom