Stranded at the edge of the galaxy...

I don't understand - did FDev do a hand-of-god intervention or did you burn enough fuel to get the range? What is the "tug boat" in game mechanics terms?

I don't understand - did FDev do a hand-of-god intervention or did you burn enough fuel to get the range? What is the "tug boat" in game mechanics terms?
From what it sounds like it was a hand of God type of thing, we're after I've basically moved him one system over.

It sounds to me like he submitted a ticket and got moved. I'm surprised at the reaction, honestly...in many, many other places on this forum I've seen exactly this behavior derided. Eh, oh well...I've got much bigger fish to fry. Fly aimless, CMDR's.

"And just like that...", with no consequence, there's no danger, with no danger, there's no exhilaration, and then it's just boring.

Still, glad you got out, CMDR.

I was involved in a situation similar to OP once a little bit South, just out side the bubble in a non explorer ship. I couldn't jump to any system. I reset the parameters for jumping by switching to economy route and was able to jump to a system I could scoop from.

It sounds to me like he submitted a ticket and got moved. I'm surprised at the reaction, honestly...in many, many other places on this forum I've seen exactly this behavior derided. Eh, oh well...I've got much bigger fish to fry. Fly aimless, CMDR's.
Somewhat my thoughts too (after hearing about it on Hutton Radio). Mitigated a bit by the excellent roleplay.

Highlights the fact that exploration still needs a bit of love though - firstly ships should never make it this far on their own (modules should slowly degrade over time/jumps; no problem in the Bubble where people can repair regularly), secondly there need to be more mechanisms to rescue stranded Commanders. We have (most) repair capabilities, we can refuel. We can't yet transfer Materials.

So @OP; best of luck and fly safe from now on.

We should let ships turn off their fusion engine. Once turned off, cant be turned on unless another running ship near does a jump start. A bit like in the Matrix how ships can jump-start one another as long as one keeps a running fusion drive. So if someone goes out of fuel, you not only refuel but also jump start them. If someone needs to repair engine, it's done and then a jump start is done. We would get close, a cable will be tied between ships and by sacrificing 1 ton of fuel, the running ship would jump start the other.

How about being able to cannibalise modules? Weight could be reduced by getting rid of excess mass such as shields and hardpoints, even cargo racks. Some mats might be released in the process, but most importantly, mass would be reduced for added jump range.

:D S

People can debate if he should have been god-moved or not all day, but I think this thread pointed out a few things about the core of the game that need to be acknowledged or at the very least understood. Which is the real benefit for all of us here.

Here are some things that came up:
  1. You can't transfer materials... why not? This needs to be a thing.
  2. SRV bays always are calculated as "FULL", not dependant on if the SRV itself is present. Can this be changed?
  3. The range an SRV can jump is dependent on the distance between main stars - NOT CMDR position. This needs to be understood, as it's a core mechanic of the game and can not be changed easily.
  4. Why do our super-modern computers allow people to jump into places they can't jump out of, without a warning? It seems odd this wouldn't be a safety feature after over a thousand years in the future. I understand why it's not for game reasons - risk is part of the game - but it's sort of immersion-breaking.
  5. There is no way to transfer a supercharge or to tow another ship at the cost of jump range. (Ex, add a client's ship mass (Or part of it) to your own ship's FSD range calcs, supercharge your own ship, and "tow" a client to another system)
  6. There is not a way to eject hardpoints, utility slots etc to save mass. Could this be a thing?
  7. It's not really clear with the system UI what the different classes of range are - Current is pretty obvious but a lot of CMDRs misinterpreted "unladen" as not the "one-jump" range.
  8. Other methods of losing weight are good - but do heat sinks et al really count in terms of mass? What is/is not calculated in terms of ship mass isn't really easy to tell.
  9. Blowing up your ship has no material drop or material penalty on rebuy - could it? An extra penalty for SD-ing is you drop some random mats?
  10. (Total 2020 update posting) We should be able to found squadron settlements/bases ;)
Anything else I'm missing that we can take away from this?

People can debate if he should have been god-moved or not all day, but I think this thread pointed out a few things about the core of the game that need to be acknowledged or at the very least understood. Which is the real benefit for all of us here.

Here are some things that came up:
  1. You can't transfer materials... why not? This needs to be a thing.
  2. SRV bays always are calculated as "FULL", not dependant on if the SRV itself is present. Can this be changed?
  3. The range an SRV can jump is dependent on the distance between main stars - NOT CMDR position. This needs to be understood, as it's a core mechanic of the game and can not be changed easily.
  4. Why do our super-modern computers allow people to jump into places they can't jump out of, without a warning? It seems odd this wouldn't be a safety feature after over a thousand years in the future. I understand why it's not for game reasons - risk is part of the game - but it's sort of immersion-breaking.
  5. There is no way to transfer a supercharge or to tow another ship at the cost of jump range. (Ex, add a client's ship mass (Or part of it) to your own ship's FSD range calcs, supercharge your own ship, and "tow" a client to another system)
  6. There is not a way to eject hardpoints, utility slots etc to save mass. Could this be a thing?
  7. It's not really clear with the system UI what the different classes of range are - Current is pretty obvious but a lot of CMDRs misinterpreted "unladen" as not the "one-jump" range.
  8. Other methods of losing weight are good - but do heat sinks et al really count in terms of mass? What is/is not calculated in terms of ship mass isn't really easy to tell.
  9. Blowing up your ship has no material drop or material penalty on rebuy - could it? An extra penalty for SD-ing is you drop some random mats?
  10. (Total 2020 update poopooposting) We should be able to found squadron settlements/bases ;)
Anything else I'm missing that we can take away from this?
Or maybe FD want to retain an element of risk in exploration.

Or maybe FD want to retain an element of risk in exploration.
There should always be risk. But if there is to be a rescue, it should be a player-initiated and completed one, not a "hand of god" solution.

As such we need the tools in-game to do so.

Only because the tools are available doesn't mean there's never going to be any risk. If a Commander gets stranded they'll still require some community members to come rescue them. Depending on where they are and how far they pushed that may not be possible (ie, a ship optimised for extreme range vs one which needs to carry the required rescue equipment).

Most explorers actually want -more- risk for exploration, but it should be somewhat mitigated by more options too. For example, if the risk of dying while exploring goes from 1% to 50% then there should be additional mechanisms in place to guard your investment (real time) such as time-limited data caches on ship destruction or something.

No other activity in the game can lead to the same losses (of real time) as death during exploration. A hold full of Void Opals is an afternoon, a hold full of exploration data could easily be 6 months or more.

There should always be risk. But if there is to be a rescue, it should be a player-initiated and completed one, not a "hand of god" solution.

Ah, yes - I'd actually forgotten they'd done that! Still, personally I prefer there to be risk.

Top Bottom