Stranded By A Rando FC 2k ly from home. Is this the experience the Devs want?

I believe it can, quite simply. Add Fleet Carriers within the tutorials.

If FDev can keep on top of the tutorials new players have somewhere to go and learn the game. I think the tutorials are easily marked but if a GUI change is required so be it. Tutorials are infinitely replayable, if perhaps dull to do so, offering the ability to hone skills and repeat a process until competent.

If we had a tutorial for FC I’d use it right now. I have a Carrier and am happy to faff around and learn but were a tutorial available I’d learn all (or at least the basics of most aspects) that Carriers offer.

Maybe I’m missing something here?

*The above isn’t directed at you in particular Drelthar, your final statement was just a handy one to lead with.

Yeah sure, a tutorial would solve it.

But then people would complain it wasn't "in the game" and "no one uses tutorials!"

But, yeah, it would technically work, as it wouldn't get in the way of the normal UI, and it would "technically" be seen by new users. (I just doubt many would look at it - you want to get to flying a space ship, there's plenty of that to learn in tutorials already - you don't care about fleet carriers when you first play...)

Actually no.
I think he was stranded because he DID NOT LOG OFF at the carrier.
So the carrier jumped away and left him behind - but the people are reading all sorts of stuff in the OP :D

The wording of the OP is ambiguous:

So I made the mistake of not landing on an carrier that belonged to my squad mates and logged off for the night. And that carrier jumped 2k ly from my last position.

So either he failed to land on his squad Carrier (which left him behind), or he landed on a different Carrier (not the one belonging to his squad).

But the thread title clears it up: "Stranded By A Rando FC 2k ly from home".

And so does his description of the problem:

If you suicide the last place you docked is where you spawned. So no go

He is on the wrong Carrier, and is now far from home. And far from the Bubble, apparently: "No station. Nothing. I'm out there. Past the loop."
Probably the nearest prison ship to there would be The Penitent, in the Pleiades, familiar to many veterans of the Gnosis Incident.

Wow, what a confusing post. If I understand the OP correctly, and judging from the thread title, OP is traveling with his squadron on the squadrons fleet carrier. He was flying in the system the carrier was parked in. He ended up docking on a random carrier, not his squadrons, then logged out for the night. Logged in next day to discover this random carrier had jumped 2k ly away. I think I have it right.

If docking at the wrong carrier was the result of the targeting bug that shifted you to a different carrier than you had originally selected, send a request to the nice people at tech support to move you to the correct one.

If this was just a careless error, own it. No need to redesign the game. Carrier ID is clearly indicated when docked. Your game challenge now is figuring out how to recover from your mistake. Oh, and you have the basis for a great story about how you got back after being stranded 2k ly away!

o7

Last edited:
A button. Reinforced by a hint on the load screen.

I've already been told that's a "horrible" idea though. If I've somehow misrepresented that, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree that having a button to do something is horrible.

It's not the fact that the button exists - for me it's where it is, and how it's presented.
That's what I meant when I said I wasn't a fan of an extra button on the docking screen. I just have a lot of questions about it.

I would really dislike another button on the set of "refuel, repair, rearm, go to hangar" icons, and I don't think an icon would make sense to a new player anyway.

I'm not at all sure how another button on the main carrier services screen would look or work or be labelled either, and I suspect it would end up being something that would annoy me every time I docked.

The only partially acceptable option I can even half think of to "resolve" this would be something like...

A button, perhaps hidden in the ship panel (as previously mentioned by someone else) that sets... I don't know... carrier docking clamps?

This would put the onus on the long term player to "know the thing" as new players wouldn't find it, and so wouldn't get taken across the galaxy by default.

This also causes another problem though

"I docked at a carrier that was going to beagle point, and it left me behind?! what the hell FD?!!!@? is this another bug??"

"No... you er, have to select to stay on board a carrier, sir"

"Well that's dumb, I docked at it, isn't that enough? who flies my ship out of the carrier before it jumps? a ghost cat?"

So I really just... don't see which way around, or how to present this thing as being such a simple situation - unless you are ok with some kind of flashing WARNING YOU MIGHT MOVE ON A MOVING THING! message.

(which, yes, would be horrible)

qPJg6Do.gif

Last edited:
The wording of the OP is ambiguous:

So either he failed to land on his squad Carrier (which left him behind), or he landed on a different Carrier (not the one belonging to his squad).

But the thread title clears it up: "Stranded By A Rando FC 2k ly from home".

And so does his description of the problem:

He is on the wrong Carrier, and is now far from home. And far from the Bubble, apparently: "No station. Nothing. I'm out there. Past the loop."
Probably the nearest prison ship to there would be The Penitent, in the Pleiades, familiar to many veterans of the Gnosis Incident.

Yea, but it is still hilarious that this is going for 10 pages, while the OP said that he solved his issue in the very same post #1

I'm lucky to have friends so they are staying up over night to pick me up.

I'm having a really hard time with this thread. Not just the opening post, but the subsequent 10 pages.

"I wasn't paying attention and docked on someone else's carrier, when I woke up the next day I was somewhere else, this is FDev's fault" has to one of the saddest examples of someone cocking up and trying to blame someone else that I've seen on here.

"I flew into a star and took heat damage. Is this the experience the Devs want?"
"I pressed the wrong button, deployed my hardpoints, shot at a system authority vessel outside a station, and got blown up. Is this the experience the Devs want?"
"I accidentally triggered the self destruct sequence, and my ship blew up. Is this the experience the Devs want?"
"I stuck my tongue in the electrical socket, and was blown clean across the room. Is this the experience the Devs want?"
"I ate a dodgy curry last night that smelled off, but decided to chance it, and ended up destroying my underpants. Is this the experience the Devs want?"

The other posts chiming in, trying to come up with a way to actually make this the game developers' fault... well, that's just par for the course I suppose.

Misrepresented? In what way? This is what you said:

"Your friend had you and went six months without learning to throttle to 70%?! What were you doing?

This is 2020 and ignorance is a choice. All the data anyone could need about any game is a few keystrokes away."

All data. Any game. All "just a few keystrokes away".

All of it.

Yes, a simple and verifiable fact of having working internet.

Am I to have read that any differently than what you've literally written?

Nope

Am I wrong for inferring that you expected the guy to know this one thing because you can read about it on the Internet where everything can be learned?

Yes. This thing is very high on the list of issues you will learn about if you bother to see what the words "fleet carrier" mean in this game.

Am I wrong for reading that "ignorance is a choice" and taking anything else from it than your assertion that everything must be known by the end user and no blame lies anywhere else?

Yes again you are wrong. You have somehow gone from "you can learn about anything" to "you must know everything" those are not equivalent statements.

Sure, I replied sarcastically but you might want to reign in the use of logical fallacy card waving when you say sweeping stuff like that, mate.

I use them only when they are accurate. As I've just shown above.

Can you specify any examples where I've misrepresented what someone said?

See above.

Yes, I'm against the elitist responses here. I'll freely admit that.

Elitist. Assuming someone would take the time to learn very basic things about the game, like fleet carriers can move. Is elitist? That seems pretty hyperbolic to me. Look at the forum responses to someone asking about how to get a guardian site, or how to avoid ganking and you will see some gentle ribbing and useful help.

This, though, is up there with don't fly without rebuy. And the van labeled free candy is a bad idea.

Admittedly, the sarcasm gets the better of me.

I'll try my best to not rise to it.

Thanks

I've not suggested a pop up once so far. I agreed this isn't a suitable method. But, really importantly, also said the game has a huge number of functions that assist the player to understand what's going on without using pop ups yet. There's no reason this issue need be any different.

It isn't. Carriers are recognizably different from stations in name, appearance and audio cues. What more do you want?

Almost everything we do is explicit (almost, I'm not going to suggest that all consequences are explicitly opted in for but the vast majority of what we do has a trigger to initiate it). The result the op saw was implicitly arrived at via their lack of knowledge but could just as easily be explicitly arrived at by the same method we do almost everything else.

Docking is the exicit action.

A button.

Exists, its labeled "Launch".

I've already been told that's a "horrible" idea though. If I've somehow misrepresented that, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree that having a button to do something is horrible.

Depends on what the button does.

In this case you want a button, where? What interface would that be a natural fit in? If it's not pretty obvious it's going to get missed buried in a menu somewhere.

Does the button have to work for all carriers? Do we need to have options like travel with a squadron affiliated carrier but not a non affiliated one? What is the default setting and what will you do for the new players who make a mistake because they didn't know about the default?

The simple solution to me seems to be leave it as it is, docking at a carrier means if it jumps you jumps. We can make that more obvious in the carriers entry in game pretty harmlessly.

Subjectively, yes. Objectively?

No.

Think critically on that statement of fact you've made for a moment. Is it always true in all circumstances?

It does assume that a reasonably competent thinking agent is involved. Did you want to have a caveat added? Should every utterance of fact be amended to include any possible fringe case? You like sweeping absolutes, do you think that people talk and think in such black and white terms? Perhaps you are aware that this is a conversation and not a formal debate so the people you interact with will be speaking colloquially.

Would you maybe like to qualify it further? Is it possible a game could have an issue that's enough to put a player off but still be changed to perhaps mitigate against that negative outcome, or is it always the player's fault?

Here is another misrepresentation. I talked about rage quitting, you have changed that to "put a player off".

Also with the always and never again. So clearly you are either not aware of coloquialisms or you are willing to read absolutism to try and score debate points.

I ask that in fear of you calling me for another logical fallacy but I would politely remind you that you just used a sweeping statement without any basis of evidence to support it.

No basis of evidence? I've cited that the internet is a vast collection of knowledge and that information can be found there about any game.

Is that perhaps hyperbolic? Maybe its possible some obscure game, or perhaps one you just made up, isn't documented. Hence coloquialism.

What is certainly true is that Elite dangerous is well documented online and this situation arises from self imposed ignorance. From the decision to dock at a fleet carrier without first determining what a fleet carrier is.

By your logic though we should have a button to avoid that. I suppose we also need a special button to opt in to getting killed by Thargoids, since someone might arrive near them and not know they are aggressive.

We should have a button to opt into high gravity landings, and for docking fines and for station defense responses and every other possible negative consequence of player actions. (See I'm using your absolute language against you)

One great menu to opt out of every consequence.

Or do you think game consequences should be universal to all players and a basic knowledge level be required to avoid them with the expectation that someone who lacks that knowledge will take it as a learning experience?

I prefer the latter. Its only a game and I'm not going to lose any sleep over my virtual stuff.

Last edited:
For future reference...
Fit a fuel scoop on all of your ships..
It doesn't have to be big, just enough to be useable to get you to a nearby station, so you can get a more suitable ship for the journey home

For future reference...
Fit a fuel scoop on all of your ships..
It doesn't have to be big, just enough to be useable to get you to a nearby station, so you can get a more suitable ship for the journey home

he had one, but doing 2000+ ly in a FDL able to jump 11 ly...well it may take a while :D

Edit: so he made a stupid mistake and the game is to blame.
he had the means to get out if the situation he created, but still the game is to blame
he was actually bailed out by his mates, still the game is to blame

🤷‍♂️

I'm having a really hard time with this thread. Not just the opening post, but the subsequent 10 pages.

"I wasn't paying attention and docked on someone else's carrier, when I woke up the next day I was somewhere else, this is FDev's fault" has to one of the saddest examples of someone cocking up and trying to blame someone else that I've seen on here.

"I flew into a star and took heat damage. Is this the experience the Devs want?"
"I pressed the wrong button, deployed my hardpoints, shot at a system authority vessel outside a station, and got blown up. Is this the experience the Devs want?"
"I accidentally triggered the self destruct sequence, and my ship blew up. Is this the experience the Devs want?"
"I stuck my tongue in the electrical socket, and was blown clean across the room. Is this the experience the Devs want?"
"I ate a dodgy curry last night that smelled off, but decided to chance it, and ended up destroying my underpants. Is this the experience the Devs want?"

The other posts chiming in, trying to come up with a way to actually make this the game developers' fault... well, that's just par for the course I suppose.
There's a reason my ladder is covered with 500 warning labels, just as there is a reason it takes more effort to put my lawn tractor into reverse than it does to launch men into space.... #HumansAreDumb

🤦

ps - MY lawn tractor is actually easy to put into reverse since I removed all the stupid "safety interlocks".

It's not the fact that the button exists - for me it's where it is, and how it's presented.
That's what I meant when I said I wasn't a fan of an extra button on the docking screen. I just have a lot of questions about it.

I would really dislike another button on the set of "refuel, repair, rearm, go to hangar" icons, and I don't think an icon would make sense to a new player anyway.

I'm not at all sure how another button on the main carrier services screen would look or work or be labelled either, and I suspect it would end up being something that would annoy me every time I docked.

The only partially acceptable option I can even half think of to "resolve" this would be something like...

A button, perhaps hidden in the ship panel (as previously mentioned by someone else) that sets... I don't know... carrier docking clamps?

This would put the onus on the long term player to "know the thing" as new players wouldn't find it, and so wouldn't get taken across the galaxy by default.

This also causes another problem though

"I docked at a carrier that was going to beagle point, and it left me behind?! what the hell FD?!!!@? is this another bug??"

"No... you er, have to select to stay on board a carrier, sir"

"Well that's dumb, I docked at it, isn't that enough? who flies my ship out of the carrier before it jumps? a ghost cat?"

So I really just... don't see which way around, or how to present this thing as being such a simple situation - unless you are ok with some kind of flashing WARNING YOU MIGHT MOVE ON A MOVING THING! message.

(which, yes, would be horrible)
I see your point.

I'd suggest that it really could be treated just like any other function that requires a decision (we expect everything we do once docked requires an action, nothing happens without it, except for this) so am not against the idea of it being added to the ship options panel if that was a big issue for players. But, this really only would show on fcs if it was a prominent option on dock screen.

Just, the logical part of me sees no reason why we shouldn't be able to explicitly define our intentions for something like this. You could ask the same question of almost all features when docked... Refuel, implied by docking or explicit? Fitting modules, implied by docking or explicit? Buying or selling commodities, handing in bounties, selling our ships. No one would ever think it a good idea that any of these occur just because you might want to do it when docking.

I do get what you're saying but I'm not convinced it's really a huge issue and had fd originally added it as an option I can't imagine many would have batted an eyelid at it. But... Assuming this is a logistics problem...

Irrespective, a straight up hint on the load screen is going to reach everyone before this likely happens to them.

At the very least I'd say that would help and most definitely cannot hurt.

Last edited:
Exists, its labeled "Launch".

I said explicit.

A function that serves two purposes, one explicitly (to launch) and the other implicitly (avoid being carried) is still implicit in this scenario.

You asked where to put it.

The most obvious location (which I have actually said a number of times in my replies) is the Dock screen. Where would it fit? The dock options ui has changed so many times since launch I'm going to just answer that with "anywhere". UI design is complicated, I'll agree, but adding a button relating to a key feature of fcs onto a ui that currently occupies a tiny fraction of the screen real estate isn't likely to pose logistical challenges (although I know adding a button isn't a trivial thing).

But, failing that then yes, place it on the ship menu. Plenty of critical stuff is placed in there and there's lots of room. But, I'll say this, I don't often change those settings. So, it still makes more sense on the Dock screen (or even station services but that's much more challenging logistically, I imagine).

Having a hint added to the load screen would cement this, much like the other critical things included there do. But, ultimately, just doing this alone would be better than nothing. I'd hope you'd find that hard to argue with, it's there for a very good reason.

Default can be either and yes, it's global. For most players, they'll be happy to opt in or out permanently. But if you do need to keep changing your mind, we're back to the whole "consequences" thing I've been told is important.

Choosing what you want to happen when you dock is pretty full of consequences. For the sake of applying a consequence to an action, I'd personally suggest an explicit trigger for that is more meaningful than "launch".

I'll agree it's low priority though. I'd think a simple cue on the hints would probably be enough ("Fleet Carriers: Be aware these are owned by commanders. If you dock at one, the commander might move it without warning!")

Elegant enough. Perhaps not urgent.

But are we to agree that it can't hurt?

Last edited:
I said explicit.

A function that serves two purposes, one explicitly (to launch) and the other implicitly (avoid being carried) is still implicit in this scenario.

You asked where to put it.

The most obvious location (which I have actually said a number of times in my replies) is the Dock screen. Where would it fit? The dock options ui has changed so many times since launch I'm going to just answer that with "anywhere". UI design is complicated, I'll agree, but adding a button relating to a key feature of fcs onto a ui that currently occupies a tiny fraction of the screen real estate isn't likely to pose logistical challenges (although I know adding a button isn't a trivial thing).

But, failing that then yes, place it on the ship menu. Plenty of critical stuff is placed in there and there's lots of room. But, I'll say this, I don't often change those settings. So, it still makes more sense on the Dock screen (or even station services but that's much more challenging logistically, I imagine).

Having a hint added to the load screen would cement this, much like the other critical things included there do. But, ultimately, just doing this alone would be better than nothing. I'd hope you'd find that hard to argue with, it's there for a very good reason.

Default can be either and yes, it's global. For most players, they'll be happy to opt in or out permanently. But if you do need to keep changing your mind, we're back to the whole "consequences" thing I've been told is important.

Choosing what you want to happen when you dock is pretty full of consequences. For the sake of applying a consequence to an action, I'd personally suggest an explicit trigger for that is more meaningful than "launch".

I'll agree it's low priority though. I'd think a simple cue on the hints would probably be enough ("Fleet Carriers: Be aware these are owned by commanders. If you dock at one, the commander might move it without warning!")

Elegant enough. Perhaps not urgent.

But are we to agree that it can't hurt?

As I've said, I'm ok with expanding on the "these can move" part of their in-game entry. No need to underline owned by another commander, just its a ship it might move.

What I don't agree with is what amounts to an auto undock button. Maybe as a function of an advanced docking computer.

To me that's both technically likely to be difficult as it creates another database query for every carrier jump but also too much in the way of kid gloves.

If you make a decision in ignorance that goes badly its a learning opportunity. Just like running out of fuel or shooting a station.

Literally everything we do in the game has a button to explicitly do it. Everything. Even docking. We don't just fly into the station to land. Surely we should though? Isn't it obvious we're going to dock because we're flying into the station?

No, you need to hit a button (several actually) to request it first.

Why?

That's a rhetorical question by the way. I know why.

Everything, literally everything, we do requires opt in that's expressly related to the activity we want to do. Everything.

This specific new function is the only function in the game that has no express button that I can think of.

Apparently, it'd be "horrendous" if it did :D

How on earth do these people cope with the game if having an option to confirm or deny carriage were added is "horrendous"? Ye gods, I have to deselect an option once then forever ignore it unless I chose to do the opposite???

Life ruining!

The rapid attempts to shoot down a sensible, really, really obvious feature to make sure we all believe they're not just saying "gitgud" is not this community's best quality.

Best just leaving it be though. It's very unlikely the suggestion will get implemented anyway. And arguing against "gitgud" is pointless. An elitist standpoint isn't changed because you point it out. But I think it's important to point it out. It's a shame though. Except for that (and the extreme opposite end of the spectrum, people that rage without bothering to suggest anything then quit), most of the time you get helpful responses here.

The OP could have worded it much better. But that's no excuse for the replies. They're mostly not helpful, with maybe one or two pretending to offer advice but making it clear that the op should gitgud nonetheless. But I get the feeling this place thrives on upholding that facade of superiority and I think that's a shame. Certainly nothing to be proud of.
Thought you said you were done with this topic but here you are, thankfully... Because, you see, something is troubling me about this opt-out option to remain in place when a carrier i am sitting on jumps.. What will you do when you are left in a system you cant jump out of without refueling or refitting?

Sure its a stretch but IMHO no more than being foolish enough to log off on some unknown carrier.

You might want to refrain from going up in arms about a topic about being sensible and then making senseless suggestions...

Or you could just gitgud/not be an idiot.

As I've said, I'm ok with expanding on the "these can move" part of their in-game entry. No need to underline owned by another commander, just its a ship it might move.

What I don't agree with is what amounts to an auto undock button. Maybe as a function of an advanced docking computer.

To me that's both technically likely to be difficult as it creates another database query for every carrier jump but also too much in the way of kid gloves.

If you make a decision in ignorance that goes badly its a learning opportunity. Just like running out of fuel or shooting a station.
Yeh fair enough.

But we can wrap our heads around what happens if the fc is decommissioned with offline ships on board (I'm assuming they automatically do something?) but a similar function as part of the fc services is... Not acceptable?

As I just said above, it's a service (one of many you might wish to use). If fd had added it as an explicit service, I doubt anyone would have been upset by that.

Either way, likely not to happen. So probably better to leave it there.

Thought you said you were done with this topic but here you are, thankfully... Because, you see, something is troubling me about this opt-out option to remain in place when a carrier i am sitting on jumps.. What will you do when you are left in a system you cant jump out of without refueling or refitting?

Sure its a stretch but IMHO no more than being foolish enough to log off on some unknown carrier.

You might want to refrain from going up in arms about a topic about being sensible and then making senseless suggestions...

Or you could just gitgud/not be an idiot.
Why would someone choose to opt out of being carried away if they flew their ship to a system they couldn't leave and then docked to an fc?

Or do you mean they forgot to select to opt in?

If they did this, they've either already made an error by choosing to jump to the system (if they didn't realise they'd run out of fuel or poorly planned their route) and there are already lots of ways the game helps you with that. It practically gives you the answers in the galaxy map. But let's assume the carrier was their last chance saloon, they reached the system and docked...

Wouldn't they refuel? Maybe equip a scoop? And if neither options were there, they'd then...

Opt to be carried away... Wouldn't they?

I don't follow your logic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom