Horizons Strong Criticisms of ED / ED:Horizons meta NPC and bounty system

Good Day FD,

I'm not going to waste time on this post with any sort of insincere "I Love this game... BUT blah blah ", I have over a billion credits from playing the game, own an Anaconda so I generally have a good grasp of the meta. Its a great game, but something has been really grinding my chops for so long, I have to vent to the forums and implore you to do something about it.

I'm really disappointed with the bounty system. IT NEEDS TO BE OVERHAULED!

If you doing missions for say a skimmer mission as a great example, you will incur a fine, eventual bounty from doing the missions, killing the skimmers, trespassing, defense turrets etc. Over time this stacks up but the timer countdown for these bounties to clear is LUDICROUS.

It also makes no sense and due to the erratic nature of your NPC's scanning you are constantly interdicted by bounty hunters.

I know you could say if you prepared to do the crime, you need to be prepared to do the time too but I just think that because it is an NPC mission its crazy that your penalized for up to a whole week for just mission running. It makes the experience very much no fun. Please do something to change it.

The second thing is how on earth is it that NPC's are able to just keep on firing indefinitely??? Since the latest main patch, NPC's just can do insane amounts of damage. I have found in my interactions with various NPC's that they also can fire Rail Guns and PA's with almost 100% accuracy all the time despite evasive maneuvers. The NPC AI is on crack its so jacked. Its ruining the game.

[down]

You should give EVE. Valkryie a shot, npc's are leveled, graphics are insanely good even in vr, when attacked in that game your not attacked by npc's that are in GOD mode, seems like the Elite Dangerous team is having a hard time fixing their game, complaints everywhere on the web, I would suggest that the Elite Dangerous team turn over the fixes to the modding community, everything would probably be fixed withing 24-48 hours.

I'm really disappointed with the bounty system. IT NEEDS TO BE OVERHAULED!

I agree. I have made a lot of proposals to make bounty hunting more interesting.
But...
This is a huge project in the midst of development. FD simply can't do everything at once.
They already said they would eventually have a second look at most, if not all professions in the game.
It will happen eventually.

Or did you refer to how personal bounties are handled?
In that case you should give more details.

If you doing missions for say a skimmer mission as a great example, you will incur a fine, eventual bounty from doing the missions, killing the skimmers, trespassing, defense turrets etc. Over time this stacks up but the timer countdown for these bounties to clear is LUDICROUS.

You are doing it wrong and that is not your fault. The game is not very clear about this.
If you take on a skimmer mission do ignore the base itself. The criminal skimmers can be found in the area surrounding the base.
You will get no bounty when you destroy them.
I discovered this myself when I got to a base that had no skimmers at all. I wondered how I should finish the mission. I then started exploring the surrounding area and found plenty of targets there.

It also makes no sense and due to the erratic nature of your NPC's scanning you are constantly interdicted by bounty hunters.
I know you could say if you prepared to do the crime, you need to be prepared to do the time too but I just think that because it is an NPC mission its crazy that your penalized for up to a whole week for just mission running. It makes the experience very much no fun. Please do something to change it.

I think I disagree. When you have a bounty on your head it is perfectly fine that bounty hunters are send after you.
The only thing is that I think it is weird that they come after you for small bounties too and then tell you they have been looking for you.
I think it is somewhat hard to believe that a professional bounty hunter would come looking for me for a bounty of only 4000 credits or so.
It should not happen in the Elite universe as it would not be worth the effort, ammo and risk.
Even if a bounty hunter succeeded in killing me, which is unlikely, they would incur so much damage that the bounty would never cover the costs of repair.

The second thing is how on earth is it that NPC's are able to just keep on firing indefinitely??? Since the latest main patch, NPC's just can do insane amounts of damage. I have found in my interactions with various NPC's that they also can fire Rail Guns and PA's with almost 100% accuracy all the time despite evasive maneuvers. The NPC AI is on crack its so jacked. Its ruining the game.

I have not noticed this myself.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
You should give EVE. Valkryie a shot, npc's are leveled, graphics are insanely good even in vr, when attacked in that game your not attacked by npc's that are in GOD mode, seems like the Elite Dangerous team is having a hard time fixing their game, complaints everywhere on the web, I would suggest that the Elite Dangerous team turn over the fixes to the modding community, everything would probably be fixed withing 24-48 hours.

In a game where everyone shares the same single galaxy state, there can be no modding....

the players arent changed, the base is modified, and yes it can and is done to open world games

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Its not that difficult really, the player form is not touched, but the base is modified, it is done to open worlds

Actually I do have a clue. My employment offers me a unique perspective on hardware/software. But I am always willing to learn, please explain to me on how many levels that would be wrong.. :)

lets face it all the updates weve had since lanch (except PL) could have been done in a few days.....nothing engine wise has changed...just twiddle some txt and pics on mission flags ect....
nothing face melting yet......these are basic gameplay elements that shoul have beeen there from the start......

whres our fps and cool massive multiplayer stuff?...<Off Topic>

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
the players arent changed, the base is modified, and yes it can and is done to open world games

Its not that difficult really, the player form is not touched, but the base is modified, it is done to open worlds

Open world games where players are free to change game modes at will?

How would that work? Joe sixpack wants to modify his mission system, but in a way I don't like it. Do I get Joe's mods? Will I disable Joe's mods? Will this cause a logic black hole and the universe collapses? Questions, questions...

lets face it all the updates weve had since lanch (except PL) could have been done in a few days.....nothing engine wise has changed...just twiddle some txt and pics on mission flags ect....nothing face melting yet......these are basic gameplay elements that shoul have beeen there from the start......whres our fps and cool massive multiplayer stuff?...
In a few days. In a few days... I... I don't even know how to answer that. There's no other option, you live in a completely different dimension.

lets face it all the updates weve had since lanch (except PL) could have been done in a few days.....nothing engine wise has changed...just twiddle some txt and pics on mission flags ect....
nothing face melting yet......these are basic gameplay elements that shoul have beeen there from the start......

Maybe if this was Candy Crush you could make a change in a few days, but in something as complex as E: D?? LOL!

This bounty issue goes hand-in-hand with the criminal justice "system" in place, many CMNDR's have posted that it needs to be looked at and improved. I am one that would favor such a review.

However, I think FD created this bounty effect on purpose, to make it "dangerous" in as many ways as they could. It may explain why they have been reluctant to change things.

I don't care to have ANY bounties on my head so I avoid any activity that may result in one. Many missions have disclaimers written, "actions may be illegal", "hostile ships may be sent after you", I pass on the illegal ones.

Bounties and merit decay drove me away from PP. Eliminating opposing faction ships caused substantial bounties, it affected total game activities, you end up being hounded by bounty hunters and every opposing faction pilot as well as the ones attached to missions. It was taxing, not fun.

Last edited:
This bounty issue goes hand-in-hand with the criminal justice "system" in place, many CMNDR's have posted that it needs to be looked at and improved. I am one that would favor such a review.

However, I think FD created this bounty effect on purpose, to make it "dangerous" in as many ways as they could. It may explain why they have been reluctant to change things.
They may have created it on purpose, or they may have simply gone with the least effort and just ignore it. That's my explanation. Otherwise I find no reason as to why they'd go for something complicated but without much game impact as geysers, and ignore something relatively simple but with large game impact such as the misson and crime&punishment system. PP is another shining example of implementation disaster that won't get fixed again as per FD.

Did you played EVE when it got alive back in 2003 or 2004 can't remember exactly? I was there and let me tell you, that game was pretty much empty with not so many ships and not so many things to do around. And many many bugs. You had to travel a lot to even see a player and if you wanted to start fighting with him many others bugs were making even more frustrating gameplay. Around 2005 - 2006 game got polished a bit more so it will take some time for Elite also. FD should learn and take advice tho how CCP managed to please his community, how fast they had/have resolved bugs, network issues, implementation of better game mechanics. Not saying to copy, to keep their vision of how they want to make their game, but they really have to take in consideration that some things they don't want to implement are a must and they better deal with them and make them better instead of not giving them to us. My 2 cents on the matter...

Last edited:
Top Bottom