Elite / Frontier Struggling to get FE2 running

So I just want to start out with that I'm a complete noob and have no idea what I'm doing. I'm using the guide from here but I can't get the game to run (most likely because I'm not using DOSBox right). I have no idea how to launch the game using DOSBox because I'm such a noob. I'm using windows 10. Help would be greatly appreciated.

You have DOSbox installed, right?
IMHO easiest way is to edit DOSbox options:

Add the mount command there to tell DOSbox to treat your DOS games folder as C:\
At the end of the file (it is a text file) you'll find lines:
Code:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
Just add 2 more lines:
Code:
mount c: <your DOS games folder full path>
c:

So, if you DOS games are in D:\dosgames, the section shoul look like
Code:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
mount c: D:\dosgames
c:

Next time you run DOSbox, you just type:
cd frontier
frontier
in the DOSbox command prompt.

So I just want to start out with that I'm a complete noob and have no idea what I'm doing. I'm using the guide from here but I can't get the game to run (most likely because I'm not using DOSBox right). I have no idea how to launch the game using DOSBox because I'm such a noob. I'm using windows 10. Help would be greatly appreciated.
As you're using the guide on my site, I thought I'd better look into this!

Unfortunately it looks like there's a small error in the batch file contained in FE2.zip. It refers to DosBox v0.72 whereas you will probably have installed v0.74. Easy to rectify: either right click on Run_fe2.bat, select edit and change 0.72 to 0.74 or re-download the zip file which I've now corrected. Apologies for that :eek:

Just for clarity; if you've created a folder on your C drive called Frontier and you've followed my instructions, the contents of that folder should be Run_fe2.bat, fe2.conf and another folder called Frontier which contains the actual game. Bit confusing that! But if that's how you've got things set up, double clicking Run_fe2 should get the game started! :)

As you're using the guide on my site, I thought I'd better look into this!

Unfortunately it looks like there's a small error in the batch file contained in FE2.zip. It refers to DosBox v0.72 whereas you will probably have installed v0.74. Easy to rectify: either right click on Run_fe2.bat, select edit and change 0.72 to 0.74 or re-download the zip file which I've now corrected. Apologies for that :eek:

Just for clarity; if you've created a folder on your C drive called Frontier and you've followed my instructions, the contents of that folder should be Run_fe2.bat, fe2.conf and another folder called Frontier which contains the actual game. Bit confusing that! But if that's how you've got things set up, double clicking Run_fe2 should get the game started! :)

Thanks! I was able to finally get the game running [smile] Now time to learn how to play...

Top Bottom