Stupid Griefers are Everywhere!

This should remind us: griefing is not just PvP. In many games, you can grief teammates (like Overwatch).

Griefing is doing something (whatever that is) allowed by the game's mechanics, purely to tick someone's off.

And griefing is everywhere, including Elite. Except that in Elite griefers can hide behind pretend reasons like "I was roleplaying" or "I'm doing power play", or whatever.

For me the entire combat ranking system in Elite is broken. You get promoted just through killing other ships - regardless of rank. I can literally park a turret-barge up and let pirates suicide their eagles against my turrets whilst I wonder off to take a leak. I come back and by combat rank has increased. Although I obviously haven't got any better (well, there was an element of target-practice, I guess....). The problem is they then base the level of NPC ships against this counter, which means that if I'm not good at/interested in/equipped for combat I eventually end up with engineered FDLs trying to spear my . A more sensible system would be to base it on whether you killed a higher-ranked ship (you get a bump) were killed by a lower-ranked ship (you may go down a level!).

My dream would be to have an actual team of six five friends and I in a room (LAN party!) working up the ranks in the game, but where I live, let's just say I'm more likely to run into Sasquatch than another gamer.... So I'm at the mercy of the matchmaking system. 🤷

Blizzard games, despite how good they are, attract these types of players in large numbers.

Bolded section: You are not. Join others of like-mind (there are many), or get off of your butt and start one yourself. Either way, you largely put the Matchmaker behind you, though this does not necessarily guarantee a better (or more successful) experience. Your team will be free of those particular shenanigans, though.

Riôt

For me the entire combat ranking system in Elite is broken. You get promoted just through killing other ships - regardless of rank. I can literally park a turret-barge up and let pirates suicide their eagles against my turrets whilst I wonder off to take a leak. I come back and by combat rank has increased. Although I obviously haven't got any better (well, there was an element of target-practice, I guess....). The problem is they then base the level of NPC ships against this counter, which means that if I'm not good at/interested in/equipped for combat I eventually end up with engineered FDLs trying to spear my . A more sensible system would be to base it on whether you killed a higher-ranked ship (you get a bump) were killed by a lower-ranked ship (you may go down a level!).

Griefers subjected to such a system would keep losing rank. Which might help stop them, but I doubt it as there will always be idiots. There is always solo mode.

It's the same in all games, though. You get matched up with people much better than you are. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's gamebreakingly stupid and - since their progression is based off it - they level up as a result and it just gets worse-and-worse. Some games are basically unplayable if you don't join them in the first few days and play them intensively to keep up with the pack. Sometimes it's just poor design, sometimes it's to get you to purchase lootboxes or something to "keep up". I've seen it kill games before, because they end up with a few thousand apex predators. And nobody else.

Last edited:
I've grown sick of trying to place in competitive matches, only to have "team" mates throw the match.

from my experience those tend to be the exception. just 'avoid as team mate' and move on. you have 3 slots for this, just enough to get rid of the worst. yes, silver/gold is hell :D but sometimes the team is so spectacularly bad that throwing (or just practicing with your favorite char) can become a sensible option. you might get tired of healing them, of trying to herd them together or tired of not getting any heal or left alone on the point. it's just what it is: random matchmaking across the entire customer base. what would you expect? just take it easy, having fun and positive attitude and you will get the most of it and next match will be better.

With this in mind, my opinion is "in flux" regarding whether Frontier should do more to stop griefing in ED.

since it will emerge anyway if players have a minimal degree of freedom (as you show in op), it's an assumed part of the design. some games offset it with mitigation measures (like peanuts rebuys and eternal modules in elite), some even embrace it and make it a central part of the game (like 'harden the f up' in eve). in the end it's up to you, take it or leave it. no game can please everyone (although some try really hard).

for me being ganked isn't a problem per-se, at all. it only becomes obnoxious the moment you are ganked with some equipment that is locked behind several hundred hours worth of scraping wikies and performing game 'activities' i shouldn't be forced to. sadly, that's a pretty mainstream concept in games. so i just suck it up.

other than that, i don't see that being an issue in elite at all. there are several ways to avoid it, plus there's really nothing at stake. someone being ganked is as inconsequential as every other npc dying to farmers.

Didn't realize that TF2 knockoff was still popular. Last time I was playing it was filled with "pros" with smurf accounts and long match making. Most matches I seem to get were filler for less than a "minute left your team is losing horribly" and I left anyways because it was a waste of time and effort.

with space legs maybe we'll get space teabagging!
Hopefully they won't have a stupid crouching mechanic, instead opting for a stealth system based on line of sight and noise generated by movement speed. Maybe heartbeat sensors and other stuff too. FDev would do well to adopt a cover system like Mass Effect, where moving into a wall or barrier makes you lean up against it, and whether you are crouched or not depends on cover height.

My dream would be to have an actual team of six five friends and I in a room (LAN party!) working up the ranks in the game, but where I live, let's just say I'm more likely to run into Sasquatch than another gamer.... So I'm at the mercy of the matchmaking system. 🤷
Unfortunately I don't have good news for you. My educated guess is that you're silver and you're stuck in elo hell, since you're not good enough to carry your team alone. Don't let those trolls upset you and enjoy good games.

Hopefully they won't have a stupid crouching mechanic, instead opting for a stealth system based on line of sight and noise generated by movement speed. Maybe heartbeat sensors and other stuff too. FDev would do well to adopt a cover system like Mass Effect, where moving into a wall or barrier makes you lean up against it, and whether you are crouched or not depends on cover height.

meh...if I want to play Assasin's Creed I'll play Assassin's Creed. I want to fly space ships and not have my time wasted....but if they implement teabagging it'll almost be worth it.

I agree, this game is diminished by stupid griefers. For those that don't aspire to be smart, is it too much to ask that they at least make an effort to be clever? ;-)

People in OW misunderstand competitive. They think that they'll climb only if they play more, while they should pay attention to getting better. I know where my SR is around for dps heroes and if I ever think I belong higher, I can ask for a 1 v 1 with some 3400 SR guys in my FL, get my kicked and go back to quickplay. Or go grind SR with tanks and supports.

Elite-related: Is this thread about griefing? Griefing usually involves abusing game mechanics to target allies iirc.

meh...if I want to play Assasin's Creed I'll play Assassin's Creed. I want to fly space ships and not have my time wasted....but if they implement teabagging it'll almost be worth it.
My hope is that legs will offer complementary gameplay, not replacement gameplay. I'd like to see the current station services system stay, but with the additional option to "Debark ship" alongside "Station services," "Return to surface," etc.

My thought is that local station jobs would be local faction related, and expand especially on black market/illegal/"gray" work. Special missions for engineers and other characters for plot purposes could require face to face interaction, but for the most part CMDRs would not be forced to do legs unless they want to.

This way, legs will enhance the experience: walking around one's ship interior, zero gravity EVAs to fix modules, being able to leave the SRV to walk on planetary surfaces, etc.

And I would really like to see some crash landing/survival type scenarios with multiple ways of achieving rescue. The plot of Subnautica is that an alien equivalent of a surface to air missile defense shoots down your ship; it would be sweet to see similar gameplay where you have to disable planetside installations or something to free your grounded ship. Or like in Star Wars, disabling part of the Death Star so the Millennium Falcon can get away.

My hope is that legs will offer complementary gameplay, not replacement gameplay. I'd like to see the current station services system stay, but with the additional option to "Debark ship" alongside "Station services," "Return to surface," etc.

My thought is that local station jobs would be local faction related, and expand especially on black market/illegal/"gray" work. Special missions for engineers and other characters for plot purposes could require face to face interaction, but for the most part CMDRs would not be forced to do legs unless they want to.

This way, legs will enhance the experience: walking around one's ship interior, zero gravity EVAs to fix modules, being able to leave the SRV to walk on planetary surfaces, etc.

And I would really like to see some crash landing/survival type scenarios with multiple ways of achieving rescue. The plot of Subnautica is that an alien equivalent of a surface to air missile defense shoots down your ship; it would be sweet to see similar gameplay where you have to disable planetside installations or something to free your grounded ship. Or like in Star Wars, disabling part of the Death Star so the Millennium Falcon can get away.

well...that depends on your perspective. if you're playing Elite Dangerous to fly space ships in space, any gameplay that isn't flying space ships in space, no matter how entertaining or complimentary, would be detrimental to that. On the other hand, if the leg-based gameplay is optional (and it will have to be because it will be a paid update) then the devs would have wasted a whole lot of time working on something that those of us who want to fly space ships in space have absolutely no interest in and doesn't enhance our gameplay in any way....and that's not good for opening existing players' wallets.

At the very least I hope they do a serious "grind reduction pass" like NMS just did. The gameplay is downright delightful now. Check out OA's latest video if you don't have the game. Now...NMS is not a "flying space ships in space" game, it's totally different, but if I want to play that, I wouldn't load up Elite.

I play DotA2, same same there!
~15 years ago I played Delta Force 2. In that game there were CTF, death match and Search and Destroy. In S&D you had to get into another players base and place satchel charges or use a rocket/grenades to blow up their assets. It was fun for a year or so, then the competitive matches started having players infiltrating the other side. They would lay satchel charges in their own buildings, then get killed which means the charges were no longer assigned to a specific team and could be detonated by any explosion. The opposing team would have another player who knew this, as they were in constant comms, and the other player would launch grenades, guided by comms with someone actually in the compound (on the phone or teamspeak no doubt) and the game would end quickly. This became a known grief and people stopped playing it or vetting the people in the squads. The public servers became barren, all was being done in private servers where people could be booted by mods.

This griefing isn't new. Now though too many people do it. Social media makes exploits well known, and people trying to get YT views for monetization will share anything at any time to get a click.

I'm reserving my laughs to when spacelegs(tm) is released, and we hump around on one leg, with one arm, and 3 fingers on the hand, with the promise(tm) of that the feature(tm) will be improved later(tm) if players are using it.
:)

EDIT: inserted smiley for the sake of sanity (others, not mine)
Hansen how are you, could you PM me as you don't allow PM to be sent to you. Once you pm me I will explain why I asked you to pm me.

Top Bottom