Stupid is..

I bought an anaconda without having rebuy early in my pilot career. I proceeded to attempt to land on a high G world and kaboom. Lost the ship. I thought I could earn the money quickly enough that I wasn't really taking too much a risk.
Trust me, I almost know how that would feel. Almost. But what world was that btw?

Taking a 6-3 hour mission in Alpha Centauri from Hutton Orbital. It's a long journey, and a long journey back when you fail your mission. Providing your like me and have no idea what has happened to the ship you flew to the mission objective. After getting shot by a security guard, after throwing a grenade that actually done it's job against him, but if only I was just little quicker with my silly Maverick Suit arsenal. My mission was to remove something from the power plant to stop it working, but this is part of building, part of bureaucracy that was slowing down shipments carried by the mission giver. He wanted them out of the loop, because they were out to make percentage for themselves by slowing down his shipments. Anyway, remove something from a power plant. I think it's some sort of power cell or battery. I only wonder if this can be performed on ships. That might be interesting if Frontier plan to have that feature in this game?

Anyway, my next stupid move is flying to Betelgeuse from Alpha Centauri. (Stupid, because I'm telling everybody here about it. Advertising my movements.) Just to see if Frontier put in any Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy References. Supposedly home to Zaphod Breeblebrox and Ford Prefect ior some where in the vicinity of it. Any HHGTG references would do. Even a orbital station named after the author.

Last edited:
About that mission, where I had to disable the power plant in a building at some settlement. Well, as you know, I failed when I tried to eliminate one of the guards who was patrolling the area. Where I was thinking of breaking in using my cutting tool. He was just getting too close and I had to try something. Anyway, my Maverick suit isn't so good compared to the Dominator suit (Despite it's default appearance which I think is kind of dumb.). Anyway, I got shot up pretty bad and woke up in the Pillar (or Pillars....) of Fortitude. The game was unable to re-join me with my ship which I left at that settlement. So after some shuttling to another system and back again, I eventually shuttle back to that settlement in hopes of finding my ship still docked there....well actually, I just landed it on some flat aground in amongst some rocky terrain a short distance from the settlement. Some 5 minutes walking distance to it. Well, the downside is that I didn't find my ship until I picked another fight with one of the security guards and lost consciousness again, but in that instance I was able to re-join my ship in orbit of that moon.

Yet, while I was searching for my ship at that settlement, (earlier...) I happened upon another players ship....a Asp Scout. and walked closer to see if it was possible for me to board their ship. But of course, I couldn't do this and so I went to pick a fight with that security guard. Wondering fi there was a easier way to get off this moon and remember reading on the loading screen that I could arrange for a shuttle to pick me from any habitation on any moon by using a computer terminal. How is this possible I thought.......Then I thought retrospectively what might happen if I had used the low gravity and my jet pack to jump on to the dorsal side (upper side.) of the Asp Scout and see how long I could surf or balance on the thing when that player launches.

This is my stupidity.....

I fell asleep in sc.........
I've no idea what happened cept waking to a desktop. Once ingame rebuy
Single Malts a wonderful tonic

I remember a post about someone doing that on the Hutton run, massively overshot...

I use an Xbox controller, boost and LG require the use of the same button in default context, B. I don't know what's worse, the fact I've seen the back of the station smacking the front of my nose quite often, or the fact I haven't changed the combo since I started playing...

I use an Xbox controller, boost and LG require the use of the same button in default context, B. I don't know what's worse, the fact I've seen the back of the station smacking the front of my nose quite often, or the fact I haven't changed the combo since I started playing...

On xb i play with controller - and i still use like 99% of the default context binds, including that one.
And i did dived in the station's back wall more than once :D

Yup, faceplanted many times here too.

Especially after flying a biggy for some time where I boost after dropping at the station, but forget that I'm in a smaller quicker ship, and have to react quickly to get through the slot. Still hitting the back, and often other ships.

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
There was one time I couldn't figure out why my ship wouldn't take off from a planet surface. One forum thread later on I checked to discover the thrusters were turned off.
I did better than that. During the early days of DW2 we went to look at The View, which had a slightly high gravity. I was nervous but slowly approached and made it down with some minimal damage, which I planned to repair with repair limpets once I was off the planet. All was OK until I started to leave - someone mentioned having good thrusters to be able to take off and I thought I had better have a look at mine. As I looked at the panel, I think the glare of the nearby neutron star reflected off it and made the box next to thrusters appear empty. In full brain fart mode I thought "oh no, my thrusters are off!" and clicked to turn them on again! Of course they were on and what I actually did was turn them off - while taking off from the high-g planet! Next thing I knew I was plummeting back down to the planet's surface seconds before staring at the rebuy screen! There were numerous other commanders around at the time and the event did not go unnoticed as there is even some video footage of my pink anaconda crashing out there somewhere on the web. :ROFLMAO:

Wait what, you need a fuel scoop to neutron jump?
Yes, as I found out when I was out at Colonia and tried to charge at Magellan. It was only after several attempts that I thought "maybe I need a scoop?" :unsure:

Oh - and regarding your quote:

Then I thought retrospectively what might happen if I had used the low gravity and my jet pack to jump on to the dorsal side (upper side.) of the Asp Scout and see how long I could surf or balance on the thing when that player launches.

This is my stupidity.....

I actually managed to do this on either a Orca or Dolphin (I couldn't tell the difference.) and rode it on it's way up until it flipped over leaving me floating in space not far from the surface of the planet. Of course, I eventually stopped floating and started falling to my Holo-me's death.

In my Cobra Mark Four, I needed to disable something so I would have enough power to enable my Point Defence Turret and decided it should be my Life Support system as I entered a High Intensity Combat situation. With 24 minutes of air left, I dived into combat and it did feel awkward with just the silence of space only interrupted by the sound of my Holo-me's heavy breathing. Being told I need Life Support right away if my canopy takes too many hits and lost my ship or maybe I lost lost my canopy and the enviable happened. Lucky I had rebuy......

After finishing NPC piracy runs, I tend to speed into the station using boost to get through the mailslot as fast as possible.

This works great for avoiding scans as I usually have 200 tons or more of stolen LTDs but I also have a tendency to stick the nose of the Corvette I use in the back of the station. You know those strut things around the bit that sticks out? The nose gets caught on those.

After finishing NPC piracy runs, I tend to speed into the station using boost to get through the mailslot as fast as possible.

This works great for avoiding scans as I usually have 200 tons or more of stolen LTDs but I also have a tendency to stick the nose of the Corvette I use in the back of the station. You know those strut things around the bit that sticks out? The nose gets caught on those.
Do you use Silent Running when you do that or is that just being stupid?

Do you use Silent Running when you do that or is that just being stupid?
If you boost in through the slot, you'll likely get in before any scan has a chance to finish. Using Silent Running would leave you shieldless and take hull damage, which isn't good.

About 3 days after I first started playing i accepted a passenger mission for 21 million credits to a destination over 20,000 LY from the bubble. I had no idea how big the galaxy actually was or what to put on a good exploration build. I set out with a class 3 fuel scoop a 19 LY jump range and a power plant that ran hotter than the sun. It took me two weeks to complete the journey and drove me insane. Nowadays I've seen that exact same trip going for 50 million credits and I have ships that can do it in a fraction of the time.

If you boost in through the slot, you'll likely get in before any scan has a chance to finish. Using Silent Running would leave you shieldless and take hull damage, which isn't good.

You can also fire a heatsink to break the scan.

Station scan does not happen above 200 m/s

Top Bottom