Stuttering and hitching after updates

Am I the only one noticing stuttering and hitching after these updates? Before the September update, I could lock my FPS at 60 or even 72 (vsynced with my refresh rates), and the game was buttery smooth regardless of where I was or what I was doing. After the update I'm seeing stuttering and "hitching", the latter being a Max Headroom effect, most noticeable as I approach a station and it quickly "bounces backwards" and back again. I'm also noticing occasional fps drop below 60 in places where such a drop makes no sense.

iu

I just tried unlocking FPS, and I'm getting over 130 fps around stations when this happens, and close to 300 fps in supercruise when I notice stuttering there, and no framerate drops as far as I can tell. So this isn't a "your video card can't handle it" issue. I can even reproduce the effect by parking outside a station and continuously roll in one direction, as I can see the stutter occasionally occur.

Now my preference is a locked fps with vsync on, because when it works like it did before the update, it just looks "buttery" smooth as I previously described. Since the update, I feel like I'm back on PS4 with all this stuttering. It's not game-breaking, but it is jarring and not what I expect when playing ED on an upper-end gaming laptop. Like I said, this all happened post-update, so let's not go blaming my hardware please :p

Anyway, has anyone else noticed this? How about you VR guys - this would be particularly jarring in VR I would think.

Yep, this started happening to me since the update.

It also occasionally just freezes the frame on the screen, but the game is still working and I can do stuff with the UI blind.

I've been having this. I had to reset my graphics settings, they all got changed to defaults after the update. That didn't fix the issue. However I discovered that if I reboot my machine, and then play only ED afterwards, the hitching goes away. It comes back, eventually.

I noticed a short hitch, a minor freeze-frame happening, though it was only twice (at least that I paid attention to).

Am I the only one noticing stuttering and hitching after these updates? Before the September update, I could lock my FPS at 60 or even 72 (vsynced with my refresh rates), and the game was buttery smooth regardless of where I was or what I was doing. After the update I'm seeing stuttering and "hitching", the latter being a Max Headroom effect, most noticeable as I approach a station and it quickly "bounces backwards" and back again. I'm also noticing occasional fps drop below 60 in places where such a drop makes no sense.

iu

I just tried unlocking FPS, and I'm getting over 130 fps around stations when this happens, and close to 300 fps in supercruise when I notice stuttering there, and no framerate drops as far as I can tell. So this isn't a "your video card can't handle it" issue. I can even reproduce the effect by parking outside a station and continuously roll in one direction, as I can see the stutter occasionally occur.

Now my preference is a locked fps with vsync on, because when it works like it did before the update, it just looks "buttery" smooth as I previously described. Since the update, I feel like I'm back on PS4 with all this stuttering. It's not game-breaking, but it is jarring and not what I expect when playing ED on an upper-end gaming laptop. Like I said, this all happened post-update, so let's not go blaming my hardware please :p

Anyway, has anyone else noticed this? How about you VR guys - this would be particularly jarring in VR I would think.

To make it smooth again you just have to you lower the graphic settings enough to have elephant butt lether and disco shadows.

The most obvious effect of this update for me is rubber banding npcs at stations. The effect is so regular as to leave perfect zigzag trails in space, indicating its unlikely due to random factors such as my connection. As for frame rate, no problem there, I run the game at 1080p with 1.5x supersample abs get a solid 120-144fps, before and now. It's exactly like pvp lag, except it's the npcs that are doing it.

Game worked fine this morning, but I've just now been in an HGE - my limpets wouldn't deploy, the cargo scoop target graphic would only show intermittently, then my connection was dropped with a 'Mauve Adder' message.

Oh deary deary me.

Edit: and five minutes later I'm still getting the CAN'T CONNECT TO FRONTIER SERVERS message.

Another edit: shutting down the game client and restarting got me back in. But for how long....?

Last edited:
I've got some AppConfig.xml adjustments for you to try...

Open that file (it's in the main game product directory) in a text editor, then find "RenderThreadStackSize" and "RenderJobQueueSize". Double the values for them.

Also, find "PerformanceScaling" and set that to "0".

If you're using an NVIDIA GPU and have a CPU with more than four logical cores, try forcing "threaded opimization" in the ED profile in the NVIDIA control panel. if you have fewer logical cores, or have an extremely fast CPU relative to your GPU, you can try forcing this off instead.

I've had mixed reports from people using these adjustments. They, in conjunction with a few others, demonstrably improve the smoothness of my game (both subjecively and in objective frame interval consistency that FRAPS, FrameView, and other applications can clearly measure), but some people don't notice any changes.

I've got some AppConfig.xml adjustments for you to try...

Open that file (it's in the main game product directory) in a text editor, then find "RenderThreadStackSize" and "RenderJobQueueSize". Double the values for them.

Also, find "PerformanceScaling" and set that to "0".

If you're using an NVIDIA GPU and have a CPU with more than four logical cores, try forcing "threaded opimization" in the ED profile in the NVIDIA control panel. if you have fewer logical cores, or have an extremely fast CPU relative to your GPU, you can try forcing this off instead.

I've had mixed reports from people using these adjustments. They, in conjunction with a few others, demonstrably improve the smoothness of my game (both subjecively and in objective frame interval consistency that FRAPS, FrameView, and other applications can clearly measure), but some people don't notice any changes.
Thanks for the tips
Is this for frame rate increase though?

Because this is super weird and not frame rate related. I can understand that's going to be a strange thing for people to "get" without seeing it.

The best way I can describe it is, the game is rendering normally at epic frame rates, however, those frames are being rendered "behind" a frozen image from some amount of time ago.

The best way I can describe it is, the game is rendering normally at epic frame rates, however, those frames are being rendered "behind" a frozen image from some amount of time ago.
This is why I use the Max Headroom "hitching" example, because it's weird and not just an issue of dropped frames. That said, I am seeing random FPS drops when I lock framerate, but what is weird with this is that I do not get the same fps drop when framerate is unlocked. Unlocked my FPS never goes below 100, yet when locked it sometimes will drop from 60 to 50s or even 40s on rare occasion.

All of this is since the September update. I could easily lock at 60 or 73 FPS vsync-on and never experience a drop or stutter or hitch (man, that was so nice).

Thanks for the tips
Is this for frame rate increase though?

Because this is super weird and not frame rate related. I can understand that's going to be a strange thing for people to "get" without seeing it.

It's for frame interval consistency. Smoothing out frame rate and reducing hitching/pauses.

Anyway, if you know a location where this effect is reproducible for you, I could check it out in a bit more detail.

Most stuttering and hitching in ED is network related and not graphics related if you have a decent GPU IMO.
Are you using a VPN?
Do you get it in solo and open?

Last edited:
It's for frame interval consistency. Smoothing out frame rate and reducing hitching/pauses.

Anyway, if you know a location where this effect is reproducible for you, I could check it out in a bit more detail.

It's entirely random... Which is always annoying

Top Bottom