Stuttering Graphics MSI Vega 56

Hi all,

I have not played in ages thought I would give the game ago again, so loaded it up yesterday. Unfortunately the game graphics are stuttering. The video linked below which shows the fault with Low and Ultra settings, it is present all the time but most evident when hyper spacing (graphics card metrics top left):

EDIT: Just realised the game metrics did not record, but I noted they were very very low, CPU utilisation 2 or so %, GPU utilisation 18%, GPU power 18W (I don't believe that it is an AMD card), 5.2GB of system RAM.

Video showing issue

Now I have re-installed Elite Yesterday to see if that helps but no joy, system spec is AMD 1700x, MSI Vega 56, Windows 10, 16GB RAM with a X52 Pro all running the latest updates (as in Windows, Steam, AMD Radeon Driver, Elite Dangerous etc)

I currently have the following games on my system and all run flawlessly at 60Hz 1080p: PUBG, Division 2, Resident Evil 2 Biohazard, Elder Scrolls, BF3, Company of Heroes. So I know my internet connection is good as is my system pretty much.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Any

Last edited:
Hi Morbad,

Thanks for the reply, attached screen caps showing the Radeon overlay data and also Task Manager, this was all run in Ultra mode as well.

Screen Cap 1 = Just entered the game and hovering around the star I jumped to.
Screen Cap 2 = Same as screen cap 1 just showing the game running.
Screen Cap 3 = In a hyper jump with the issue visible in the game screen
Screen Cap 4 = Hit the Windows key whilst in hyper jump to record the Windows Task manager process and opened the graphics tab (I was running the record desktop with Radeon Relive hence the high video usage, as record I record at 1440p 60Hz. The games stutters whether I am recording or not).

The is a little discontinuity between the screen cap values, but the GPU and CPU don't seem to be stressed from my observations. FPS seems low as hovering around 41, I set the card for a minimum of 40 and max of 60 due to my 7 year old monitor. For some reason the FPS metric showing in Radeon Relive overlay is hit and miss.

Any clues from this as I am still none the wiser!

Cheers,

Ant

Attachments

• ScreenCap 1.jpg
    ScreenCap 1.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 277
  • ScreenCap 2.jpg
    ScreenCap 2.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 334
  • ScreenCap 3.jpg
    ScreenCap 3.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 305
  • ScreenCap 4.jpg
    ScreenCap 4.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 290
Wow, that's quite bad.

I think that LeftControl+F will show you the in game frame rate.
Judging by what I'm seeing in your video, your framerate must be very low.

I'm not up to speed with AMD CPU/GPU cards so don't know off the top of my head how good or otherwise your setup is.
I don't suppose you are running on a 4k monitor?

Try running the game in 1080p and let us know how you go.

Clicker

Hi, i have a very similar setup with Powercolor Vega 56 and Ryzen 1600x, 16 GB. Play on a 3440x1440 widescreen with no problems. Havent checked the fps yet, but its all smooth and clear. What about driver updates for gpu recently? Have you tried a backstep to an earlier version? I`ll check mine this evening.

Ok, here are the numbers: in supercruise (depends on population in system) around 110-150 fps
docking at station: 80-110 fps
infight with two enemy ships: 130 fps

On BENQ EX 3501R with stock Powercolor Vega 56 Dragon, with driver 19.5.2, Windows 10 with latest updates.
There is still a lot of potential with overclocking my CPU and GPU, means there is something really weird on your machine. I would try a clean OS install if a driver update doesnt work.

check the chat panel. sometimes it gets messed up and can cause this - solution is to type something, then it sorts itself out. That being said, I just reported a problem where my FPS drops drastically in a RES site after about 30 mins - and this looks exactly the same. I'm also 1440p - so maybe there is something in that. I also have a AMD GPU (RX570 8Gb) - shows low usage but this type of stuttering, but only in RES sites after some time.

The is a little discontinuity between the screen cap values, but the GPU and CPU don't seem to be stressed from my observations.

Overall CPU utilization doesn't say much. You need to look at what each logical core is doing. I have no idea if that 11% utilization is one core being nearly maxed out, small loads across a number of cores, or something in between. I can make inferences from your frame rate cap, but the graph says very little.

FPS seems low as hovering around 41, I set the card for a minimum of 40 and max of 60

This could well be a major contributor to your issues.

Turn off any FPS targets/caps. Turn off Chill. Turn off vsync. See if anything improves.

For some reason the FPS metric showing in Radeon Relive overlay is hit and miss.

Turn off that overlay too.

You can watch frame rate in-game by pressing CTRL+F.

Top Bottom