Subnautica

What I really like about Subnautica is that it offers me different gameplay options to "finetune" my enjoyment. Of course I started out with the stock game settings but hunting for food and keeping stock of water soon became annoying as hell so I m going with the game version that takes both these factors off my to-worry list and I cant really say that I miss it. It has given me more freedom and time, reduces pressure and enables me to enjoy the game more. I dont think I will activate food+water again.

I'm the opposite, as I really love the survival aspect to the game. Needing to eat and drink gives me reasons to build bases and outfit them, because I need farms and ways to create water.

I'm glad they provided options though for players to choose how they want to play. They made so many great design decisions with Subnautica, it really is a master class example of excellent game design.

Their stash sometimes has teeth in it. You need some medkits and a distraction piece of scrap metal.

Oh I know, but it isn't much help when you were using said drone as a homing beacon and an overgrown anchovie decides it makes a good pillow.

Oh I know, but it isn't much help when you were using said drone as a homing beacon and an overgrown anchovie decides it makes a good pillow.

Yeah they can be a bit overly keen, if they overdo it I punch them to death with the prawn. Which is my go to solution for most tricky conundrums in subnautica.

Yeah they can be a bit overly keen, if they overdo it I punch them to death with the prawn. Which is my go to solution for most tricky conundrums in subnautica.

Absolutely...
Um for the record, there are a couple of commanders doing blind livestreams of subnautica, and they might be reading the thread... We should probably keep the "how we do this" talk to a minimum to avoid spoilers.
Yeah I know, they shouldn't be following the thread if they don't want spoilers, but... well, you know.

Absolutely...
Um for the record, there are a couple of commanders doing blind livestreams of subnautica, and they might be reading the thread... We should probably keep the "how we do this" talk to a minimum to avoid spoilers.
Yeah I know, they shouldn't be following the thread if they don't want spoilers, but... well, you know.

That sounds like a tricky conundrum PUNCHING MODE ACTIVATED !.

Sorry force of habit, I mean that you are right.

There are many things in Subnautica that Elite could learn from. They are different games and built on different foundations. But, if you get down to the grind vs reward and more importantly, actual sense of purpose. Subnautica beats Elite hands down. In this game the grind rewards are there to help advance the story and move you closer toward your purpose. The grind itself is not the actual purpose. This is where Elite fails. There is no purpose other than upgrading your ship and just like the 1984 original, once you have done this there is nothing else to do. Elite Dangerous had huge potential with the BGS but nothing serious has been done in this area to provide purpose. In Subnautica the tools and vehicles are tools to help you play the game. In Elite they are the game.

Elite is an amazing achievement, but could be made so much better in the future if they developed the BGS and provided the evolving changes with the star systems that could be improved and allowed wane based on player interaction. To provide a reason for players to rally together to support systems and watch their impact on the game world with their own eyes. The ships should be tools and not the game itself. Just my opinion.

There are many things in Subnautica that Elite could learn from. They are different games and built on different foundations. But, if you get down to the grind vs reward and more importantly, actual sense of purpose. Subnautica beats Elite hands down. In this game the grind rewards are there to help advance the story and move you closer toward your purpose. The grind itself is not the actual purpose. This is where Elite fails. There is no purpose other than upgrading your ship and just like the 1984 original, once you have done this there is nothing else to do. Elite Dangerous had huge potential with the BGS but nothing serious has been done in this area to provide purpose. In Subnautica the tools and vehicles are tools to help you play the game. In Elite they are the game.

Elite is an amazing achievement, but could be made so much better in the future if they developed the BGS and provided the evolving changes with the star systems that could be improved and allowed wane based on player interaction. To provide a reason for players to rally together to support systems and watch their impact on the game world with their own eyes. The ships should be tools and not the game itself. Just my opinion.

Agreed... Ttotally!

When so much effort is put into upgrade the ships, rather than giving more depth and gameplay for you to do with those ships? Hmmm...

ED feels like its sat on its hands for too much of the past 4yrs. Maybe the new mission packs (rumoured) will give some more depth/purpose (but I doubt it)...

ps: I think I'll get Subnautica next good deal for it. Been waiting for Oculus Touch support to be offered. But I just don't think it's going to come!

Last edited:
Agreed... Ttotally!

When so much effort is put into upgrade the ships, rather than giving more depth and gameplay for you to do with those ships? Hmmm...

ED feels like its sat on its hands for too much of the past 4yrs. Maybe the new mission packs (rumoured) will give some more depth/purpose (but I doubt it)...

ps: I think I'll get Subnautica next good deal for it. Been waiting for Oculus Touch support to be offered. But I just don't think it's going to come!

Subnautica is excellent. I would tell you so much about iyt but I won't. What I would advise is, do not go on Youtube and start watching videos. It is the old style game where you just play and figure out what it is all about as you go along. It is like a great movie you walked into the cinema and never even heard of the film to be shocked and surprised. It is a game that constantly surprises you when you think you have sussed out its limitations and scope. There is a definite narrative here but has massive freedom, exploration and imersiveness. The atmosphere as you dive deep into the depths is amazing. I am loving this game at the moment. I bought it during the Beta about 2 years ago and forgot about it. Then I reinstallled it again and it had been released. Buy it. You won't go wrong!

Agreed.

For example, all the while I was playing Subnautica I kept thinking to myself: "THIS is how I want space legs to feel in Elite!". That feeling of piloting the Cyclops, then getting out of the pilot seat to walk around the sub, mess with inventory, change modules, or do repair work was so incredibly awesome. I can only hope I have that same feeling with Elite's ships some day.

Agreed.

For example, all the while I was playing Subnautica I kept thinking to myself: "THIS is how I want space legs to feel in Elite!". That feeling of piloting the Cyclops, then getting out of the pilot seat to walk around the sub, mess with inventory, change modules, or do repair work was so incredibly awesome. I can only hope I have that same feeling with Elite's ships some day.

Weird isn't?

I look at it the complete opposite. I think thank god I don't have to do this in Elite. I love Subnautica. Finally got round to finishing the other day, currently working on a Hardcore play thorough, but if I had to do the same sort of micromanaging in Elite? I would of packed up my HOTAS many years ago.

I bought Elite to fly spaceships (although if it had had a Newtonian flight system, I wouldn't of touched it with a barge pole) . I bought Subnautica to do something else.

This is the most complete truth, i agree.

I was lucky enough to pick it up from the Epic games Website for free recently...still haven't delved into it but will soon.

I wish they'd fix the dang VR support. Every so often I remember what a lovely game this was, fire it up -- nope. Still janky as hell with bad movement controls.

Terrific otherwise, and I really appreciate the dev team's hard work. They've managed to create something really special with this.

Last edited:
I wish they'd fix the dang VR support. Every so often I remember what a lovely game this was, fire it up -- nope. Still janky as hell with bad movement controls.

Terrific otherwise, and I really appreciate the dev team's hard work. They've managed to create something really special with this.

Agreed. I haven't finished the game, because I would like to do it in VR... with fully working motion controllers. It just doesn't feel right, to me, to use keyboard/mouse in VR game where you're a human being interacting with the environment.

Finally playing this. Trying to build the Battery Charger and it says "Ingredients Unknown"? Huh? What does this actually mean?

Have to say so far it's a lot less intuitive than Empyrion!

You need to scan more fragments. I think it is four for the charger. You get the blueprint it after one or a few, but sometimes need to scan more to 'unlock' it.

You'll find some doors on the wrecks (they will look different) that can be cut to access their internals for other blueprints and items

Top Bottom