Subnautica

I got this for free via Epic Games but only started playing it today .... 6 Hours in on my first play and absolutely loving it ... A bit of a learning curve about how some of the machinery functions (floating air pumps and pipes - got the hang of that now), I am begining to build my first habitat ...

The plot thickens.

Finally got the big sub and need to upgrade and found the [REDACTED][REDACTED] on one of the islands.

I like how the computer calmly tells me "these biomes and depths are the type that cause humans to feel terror" as i go deeper with my sub...why did it have to say that.

It doesnt aim for it directly like a horror game would but it certainly creates levels of anxiety and fear that make me clinch my hands when I think about exploring another deep sea cave. Awesome game :) and dirt cheap both as a product and in development.

Is that really it? It's hard to believe that this would be enough to cause a stir, unless the game is also leaning on identity politics real hard in the story or something. I never even thought about the identity of the protagonist in original Subnautica, so (s)he could be anything and it wouldn't have made any difference to me. If that's all there is to it then I imagine I'll enjoy Below Zero just fine.

I still haven't tried it, but the most common complaint I see about the game at the moment has nothing to do with the character, but with the fact there's far too much "direction", which is the complete opposite of the original game "feel" of isolation and survivalism. Apparently according to user reviews in Below Zero you're constantly told where to go and what to do next.

Much of the original Subnautica's atmosphere came from the sense of isolation and desperation, "I'm fracked, what am I gonna do now", and you would start finding solutions and figuring things out slowly as you explored on your own. Apparently, Below Zero is a much more story-driven experience. If that is going to make it better or worse, time will tell and of course will depend on each player's taste, but I truly loved the original game's feel of being stranded alone and having to figure stuff out slowly by myself.

Still will give it a try when it comes out. The dev's have earned my benefit of the doubt.

I got this for free via Epic Games but only started playing it today .... 6 Hours in on my first play and absolutely loving it ... A bit of a learning curve about how some of the machinery functions (floating air pumps and pipes - got the hang of that now), I am begining to build my first habitat ...

Yep me too. Been having a ball in VR with this and NMS to a lesser extent

It doesnt aim for it directly like a horror game would but it certainly creates levels of anxiety and fear that make me clinch my hands when I think about exploring another deep sea cave. Awesome game :) and dirt cheap both as a product and in development.
Now, imagine it reskinned with a more realistic tone and less cartoony and we would truly have an undersea horror survival adventure.

I played this game through on the XBox when it came to Game Pass. I only realised it was available in VR recently, and also on Game Pass. All I can say is that playing it in 2D was pretty enjoyable (enough for me to complete the story, which doesn't happen with many games these days :) )... But in VR, it's stunning. First time I completed the story in whichever mode doesn't need food and drink (I don't normally like that in games - I need to do it in real life!). I've started again today in VR in survival mode, and suspect I'll be locked in now for quite some time...

I just randomly bumped into mid game in subnautica.. wow.. its completely amazing.

The point where you have a decent amount of blueprints, have a scanner room for collecting resources, found the second tier of monsters so that the basic ones aren't threatening anymore, and had a reaper leviathan introduce itself to my seamoth. Geez lucky i was in it at the time.

At the moment i badly want the second 1/2 of the moonpool blueprints so i can upgrade and go deeper.. but i know spoilers kill it so...

Yeah when it opens up.. you truly experience awe in all the environments. Punches above its weight.

I’m still waiting for them to “finish” VR so I can complete (from the beginning) the game. Technically it’s playable, but it’s the kind of “playable” that makes me sick. YMMV

I’m still waiting for them to “finish” VR so I can complete (from the beginning) the game. Technically it’s playable, but it’s the kind of “playable” that makes me sick. YMMV
There are some reasonable mods out there but I don’t think it will ever get optimised. After all they dumped VR completely for sub-zero

I tried subnautica on my psvr hack a few years ago... it definitely caused motion sickness at strong intensity. Guess they would have to do a no mans sky type alternate movement system for it.

Interestingly i also tried it on a precursor to vr.. nvidia 3d vision, and it worked great.. you get the same stereo visuals but none of the motion sickness because your head doesn't move. Shame they abandoned it.

Also found my moonpool blueprint.. didn't know it also charged power cells.. don't need rubies anymore. Yet.

I always wanted to try Subnautica since it was released but I never go around to it The game has a great look and, being a SCUBA diver, I have been fascinated by the exploration of an underwater open world.

A month or so back the game was given away for free for the PS4 so I dived in.

I must have about thirty hours in the game but I seem to have reached a sticking point. I haven't played it in some weeks.

I've explored some, harvested mats and built some, but the game hasn't held my attention despite the fact I've always liked open world explorations.

I suppose, when the mood takes me, I'll get back into it a bit more and progress the game some I just can't get obsessed over it like some other games.

Just gotta get over that mid-game blueprint hump. Make sure you have all the blueprints you can gather with the seamoth...push it to the limits until you are able to get the Cyclops. Once you got that baby the game really opens up. Start building bases in deeper and deeper biomes to give you safe harbor...that starts to open up trying other power sources rather than solar...geo-thermal is where its at in my opinion. The late-game is definitely worth it as the story gets very cool and you soon find yourself never returning to the surface for very long stretches of time, if ever.

I always wanted to try Subnautica since it was released but I never go around to it The game has a great look and, being a SCUBA diver, I have been fascinated by the exploration of an underwater open world.

A month or so back the game was given away for free for the PS4 so I dived in.

I must have about thirty hours in the game but I seem to have reached a sticking point. I haven't played it in some weeks.

I've explored some, harvested mats and built some, but the game hasn't held my attention despite the fact I've always liked open world explorations.

I suppose, when the mood takes me, I'll get back into it a bit more and progress the game some I just can't get obsessed over it like some other games.

Yeah exactly as monk said. Once you get to "midgame" in blueprints, the game really transforms into something amazing. Im still there.. :) The first things to really try for are the first seamoth depth upgrades, the rebreather, and find enough lead for the radiation suit. And get the laser cutter. The game takes over from that point.

Thanks for your advice. I'm sure I'll get back into it.

The second game is great also by the way, I get what you are saying about the above though from the first game.
The second is a more storied affair and fully voice acted very competently to boot. Because its more story driven it helps you a little more in very small ways.

Below zero is good.... Is it as good as the original? No - but it's still a very solid game and the original is an all time classic. Honestly, I think most of the criticism it gets wouldn't be given if it had been released first.

One thing I will say - I was fine using beacons on my first playthrough but if you are getting frustrated with subnautica I'd consider installing the map mod. It's a really good mod that doesn't spoil anything while managing to remove annoyance for some players. I know people who's opinion on the game did a 180 after installing it

Top Bottom