subsurface mining..

afternoon commanders .. i really don't get this mining game at all.. i must be doing something wrong and just not seeing it.. i cant for the life of me work out how to get a grip on the subsurface missile thingymajig lol. i watched all sorts of videos from obsidian/yamiks/plater etc etc but just cant get a missile to impact and release these LTD's that everyone is talking about. i had to go back to a populated system and pick up an old fashioned mining laser.. HOW on earth do you tell whats surface/embedded/deepcore??? and how do you time the missile explosion when they just bounce off the asteroid and float away! HELP please:unsure: or il just have to go back to Trading and bounty huning.

Target the ore and your lower panel on the left will tell you what type of deposit it is (you want sub surface, obviously).
Fire your sub-surface missile at it and keep your finger on the trigger. Let go of the trigger when the scrolling display is in a blue zone.
Also there's a display with a scrolling yield curve - if you can hit a blue zone while at the top of a curve you'll get the best yield

and that is 1 of the problems lol .. i don't see the scrolling display at all ... anywhere.. is it something i need to activate?? i see all the tutorials showing a graph but i dont get that anywhere on my screen.. so my missiles just bounce off the rock and float away. :-(

and that is 1 of the problems lol .. i don't see the scrolling display at all ... anywhere.. is it something i need to activate?? i see all the tutorials showing a graph but i dont get that anywhere on my screen.. so my missiles just bounce off the rock and float away. :-(

The scrolling display activates only after the missile connects.
So aim at the Subsurface deposit, fire and keep the trigger pressed. Depress it only when the marker is in the blue zone.

I hope you are aware that if a subsurface deposit is grey it is not visble, it has to be lit in blue...

This is what you're looking for

Fy7SC8t.png

ah! starting to make a bit more sense now 🤓 .. i probably wasn't targeting/or targeting the blue .. makes sense now someone actually shows you lol .. thanks Cmdrs i'l have another go later and let you know how i got on ☺

As to when to release the trigger, wait till it is 1 or 2 panels away before entering the blue to release, If I release when in on say a single blue it is too late. You can release if you see 3 more more blue panels in the blue. It is all question of timing. Besides I think they nerfed it so you only get 1 or 2 units on each extraction.

i gave up with the missile shenanigans o_O way to much effort needed... i picked up 2 standard mining lasers and reverted to the old fashioned method.. much more relaxing and stress-less.. thanks for the info and help though Cmdrs(y)(y)

The density doesn't affect the quality or quantity of deposits, it affects the speed of the scrolling as more dense rock would slow the drill down. You do get the hang of it but since the nerf I find it hard to find any decent rocks in COL.

The density doesn't affect the quality or quantity of deposits, it affects the speed of the scrolling as more dense rock would slow the drill down. You do get the hang of it but since the nerf I find it hard to find any decent rocks in COL.
I was wondering about this, because the amount of ores released didn't seem to coincide with the height of the upper graph - sometimes it would be low yet I got three ores, other times high and I only get one. So what does determine how many ores per missile you get?

I was wondering about this, because the amount of ores released didn't seem to coincide with the height of the upper graph - sometimes it would be low yet I got three ores, other times high and I only get one. So what does determine how many ores per missile you get?

I believe the width of the blue bar. If you get one that's one block wide, that produces the most. Then 2 block and so on. Makes sense as one block wide is harder to get :)

So ideally, you should have a better chance of hitting a blue section when the density is climbing the hill as the drill is slowing. Harder to hit a blue when coming down the hill as the drill is speeding up.

Top Bottom