Newcomer / Intro Subtleties

I seem to have a motor mouth in posts at the moment so, before I carry on, apologies in advance!

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I'm finding myself very addicted to the game. Apart from all the major suff, I find that there're certain subleties that add to the immersive feel. Please allow me my observations:

• The "beep" that gets more frequent as you approach the landing pad
  • The background radio chatter that you can hear but can't quite make out
  • Chekhov at Ray's getting excited if you're speeding
  • The station menu sound that's reminiscent of the computer terminals from "Aliens"
  • Stations that change their orbit vector as time passes
  • The judder and clanking when thrusters are activated
  • The way your instruments are completely bamboozled during the hyperspace jump

Do you have any to add?

I always enjoy your posts Tyres, so keep ‘em coming.

The judder, clunking and feeling of turbulence that some ships seem to give in super cruise always gets me, it makes me worry something’s going to come lose in the cargo hold.

The radio chatter is superb, so much so I find myself interacting with it (thanking them for docking approval, saying Roger for no good reason and apologizing for speeding on approach) which confuses my HCS voicepacks, unless they’re so vain as to believe all chat is directed at them.

I love the mist/smoke as you come through the mail slot, no idea what it is or why it’s there though.

The heavy clunck of the landing gear lock retracting as you take off and the tiny drift that occurs momentarily as you initially rise from the pad.

There are so many reasons to slow down or stop and just notice and appreciate the small stuff in this game, I love the fact it’s the very opposite of a Call Of Duty type game that pushes you along a loud and exploding corridor attempting to hide the fact it doesn’t want you to slow down or stop incase you notice there isn’t that much there after all.

The blackbird nesting somewhere in my dashboard console - like to hear it on longish supercruise trips. I have not made any lately so don't know if they have removed it. (It was obviously chirruping in the Croft's garden when they laid down the ambient for that.)

I always enjoy your posts Tyres, so keep ‘em coming.

The judder, clunking and feeling of turbulence that some ships seem to give in super cruise always gets me, it makes me worry something’s going to come lose in the cargo hold.

The radio chatter is superb, so much so I find myself interacting with it (thanking them for docking approval, saying Roger for no good reason and apologizing for speeding on approach) which confuses my HCS voicepacks, unless they’re so vain as to believe all chat is directed at them.

I love the mist/smoke as you come through the mail slot, no idea what it is or why it’s there though.

The heavy clunck of the landing gear lock retracting as you take off and the tiny drift that occurs momentarily as you initially rise from the pad.

There are so many reasons to slow down or stop and just notice and appreciate the small stuff in this game, I love the fact it’s the very opposite of a Call Of Duty type game that pushes you along a loud and exploding corridor attempting to hide the fact it doesn’t want you to slow down or stop incase you notice there isn’t that much there after all.

It is probably mist condensing from the air in the slot I put it down to the force field that keeps the vacuum out lets quite a bit of cold in which drops the air temperature to the dew point, of course it could be anti contaminant sprays.

Perhaps your cargo hold is haunted.

I'm guessing it's where the warm, moist air inside the spaceport condenses as it meets the cold space outside.

"Stations that change heading vector as they orbit" is actually one of the pet peeves of mine. :D
Because it means they somewhow manage to rotate along two axes at once, which is... uhm... kind of hard to do. But on the other hand, it's not even in the top ten of impossible things we do in Elite, so.. I guess it's fine. :)

As for the stuff that makes me love the game, there's sss much of it. But if I were to highlight one, it would be combat in Federal Gunship.
All sound effects in Elite are incredible, but fighting Gunship is just awesome. She whines, growls, creeks and skreeches in such a mean manner as you throw her around. I'll never get tired of that. :)
I also really like the glide phase of planetary landing.

• Leaves falling from the plants in the biomes at Ag. stations
  • Water moving in the rivers and pools at leisure stations
  • Airglow around planets, particulalry noticeable on the terminator
  • The sound of birds and water when on an ELW in the system map
  • The shadows cast by rocks and the SRV, especially at dawn / sunset
  • The ice particles that get kicked up by excitable SRV driving / stopping :)
  • Liquid in geysers
  • Nebulae lighting and how it affects everything, not just the background sky box
  • The position of the stars in the sky box; seeing recognisable constellations when at Sol was a marvel!
  • Rings. Just wow. More especially from not actually in them, but close enough to see grains in the foreground melding into "solid" rings in the distance
  • All the bits and pieces that move or function on the ship, yet you don't see except if in a camera view, eg heatsinks, cargo scoop, radiators auto opening / closing
  • The different lighting occasioned by different star types. I especially like O type stars for the completely different and awe-inspiring blue glow
  • Everything else already mentioned :)

• Leaves falling from the plants in the biomes at Ag. stations
  • Water moving in the rivers and pools at leisure stations
  • Airglow around planets, particulalry noticeable on the terminator
  • The sound of birds and water when on an ELW in the system map
  • The shadows cast by rocks and the SRV, especially at dawn / sunset
  • The ice particles that get kicked up by excitable SRV driving / stopping :)
  • Liquid in geysers
  • Nebulae lighting and how it affects everything, not just the background sky box
  • The position of the stars in the sky box; seeing recognisable constellations when at Sol was a marvel!
  • Rings. Just wow. More especially from not actually in them, but close enough to see grains in the foreground melding into "solid" rings in the distance
  • All the bits and pieces that move or function on the ship, yet you don't see except if in a camera view, eg heatsinks, cargo scoop, radiators auto opening / closing
  • The different lighting occasioned by different star types. I especially like O type stars for the completely different and awe-inspiring blue glow
  • Everything else already mentioned :)

Yes to this, only I’ll add any shadows, in fact pretty much all lighting effects but I can sit and watch the shadows moving on virtually any surface and sit back and marvel. Just last night I found myself smiling at how the shadow of an orbital station moved across my Python’s instrument panel.

This game really does bring out the geek in me (it’s not far below the surface TBF.)

Gravitational lensing. I can never get enough of that.

I also like the scuffed paint. Just wish it kept scuffing once you get to zero. My aspx should be bare metal by now.

"Stations that change heading vector as they orbit" is actually one of the pet peeves of mine. :D
Because it means they somewhow manage to rotate along two axes at once, which is... uhm... kind of hard to do. But on the other hand, it's not even in the top ten of impossible things we do in Elite, so.. I guess it's fine. :)

As for the stuff that makes me love the game, there's sss much of it. But if I were to highlight one, it would be combat in Federal Gunship.
All sound effects in Elite are incredible, but fighting Gunship is just awesome. She whines, growls, creeks and skreeches in such a mean manner as you throw her around. I'll never get tired of that. :)
I also really like the glide phase of planetary landing.

[video=youtube;qEWwIV9Z-eA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEWwIV9Z-eA[/video]

@ 3:00
[video=youtube;zc8b2Jo7mno]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc8b2Jo7mno[/video]

I got stuck in the outside of a Coriolis station today.
All of the sounds as I crashed off of the various structures were very well timed and quite distinct!

Sounds in general are very well done.

The delightful boost chime in the Orca, the FDLs mechanical wind-up, the strange howl the Krait makes when drifting, the DBXs silly dweeble and even the flatulating Asp all make me smile.

I agree with the previous posts as well.

The Asp makes me think of a WWII Lancaster :)

Erm.... Mind if I ask what you were doing in the "outside" of a Coriolis station???? :D I was once thinking of using them for FA Off practice, were you doing the same?

Erm.... Mind if I ask what you were doing in the "outside" of a Coriolis station???? :D I was once thinking of using them for FA Off practice, were you doing the same?

Yes, that's exactly what I was doing, hahaha!
I like to use that various lines and axes of the station to play games with changing vectors in FAoff.

One day, when you're feeling adventurous, find a nicely lit Coriolis (cube) station, dock there, buy a Sidey and go outside to explore the structure. There is a path inside the station hull along all the edges and circular shafts around the middle of the square sides, plus an odd hole here and there that always leads somewhere interesting.
I spent one whole afternoon "practicing FA-off" that way. It's a great fun. :)

One day, when you're feeling adventurous, find a nicely lit Coriolis (cube) station, dock there, buy a Sidey and go outside to explore the structure. There is a path inside the station hull along all the edges and circular shafts around the middle of the square sides, plus an odd hole here and there that always leads somewhere interesting.
I spent one whole afternoon "practicing FA-off" that way. It's a great fun. :)

I got my FDL pretty deep into some crevice this time.
Made it back with 4% hull!

Survivor!

Oh, now I am intrigued!!

I'm about 11kly from a Coriolis at the moment though.. Might be a while before I get to test that out :) There is so much to do in this game that isn't immediately obvious. I like that... a lot.

Top Bottom