SUGGESTION: 2.2's Visited System - Have a dedicated Menu option to get/download all visited systems

Visited Systems

• Yes - It would be nice to be able to download all visited systems (ever) as long as the development

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • No - I don't mind it only having systems visited from 2.2 onwards

Votes: 19 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
About Jan-2015 I suggested we had a filter in the galaxy map to show which systems we've visited. In 2.2 we are seemingly getting this, which is great. And unsurprisingly (for performance) this is using local storage.

But there is the unfortunate limitation that it will only show systems visited from 2.2 onwards. And I suspect, if you were to re-install ED, you'd probably lose all that data?

I'm wondering if FD could:-
1) Write a bit of clever code to check if a CMDRs visited system data is sync'd up with FDs? And if not, trickle feed an update down to the CMDR.
2) Even more simply, add a dedicated option in the Menu (or Launcher or Website) to download all visited systems (from FDs servers to local).

Option 2 sounds the simplest and would mean we'd have all the systems in our local database as we'd expect/hope. And if we have to re-install ED, this option will mean we get all that data back too. And by all means limit this to once a day/week etc, and cap any bandwidth usage etc. [See EDIT below]

NOTE: An option to filter by "Discovered" as well as "Visited" would be nice. And the proposed download feature could download that data too.

EDIT: Seems FD are already offering an import option to update visited stars, so part of this suggestion is already in place! - The VisitedStars cache (Thanks gazelle)

EDIT: Confirmation: FD's database almost certainly knows which systems you've been to (ever); In your system panel it shows "Systems Visited". This goes up when you go to a system for the first time, and does not when you revisit. Furthermore, it seems in the past FD have offered a list of systems visited.

*IMPORTANT* UPDATE (23-Sep):-
So it would seem:-
  • There is already an import option suitable for purpose (ie: to populate the local visited database).
  • FD have (in the past) produced a list of all visited systems. This could clearly easily be manipulated into the appropriate format for such an import.
  • The resultant file is not large. I'd estimated 25 bytes per system, and actual examples (see #45) seem to suggest it's less than that. ie: We're typically talking about tens/hundreds of K for the file size.
Conclusion:-
  • Seemingly FD need only give us a means to re-access/download the visited data (again), and this will work. And they could do that as restrictively as they like. eg: Just one request a week, given how infrequently it would be required.

Official Comment (3-Oct)
Michael commented on the possibility of getting a download of Visited Systems from FD. While it's no suprise such a feature will not be in 2.2, at least the comment implies it might be on a list for the future.
There won't be a mechanism for this as part of the 2.2 release. We appreciate the desire for it, so it will be looked at in the future, but I have no time scale for that at the moment.

Last edited:
Oh come on! who's seriously going to vote No in this poll?

Obviously if the code or database issues are to hard, fine! Don't do it...

But I'm sure a dedicated option in the Menu could download a complete list of system visited, which could then be dropped into the new local database. That doesn't sound too hard to me? And restrict the call to once a week or what ever makes sense.

My head is telling me that should be straight forward?! And given the issue of people having to re-install the game and not then having their local data, rather useful!

Last edited:
If you could "download all visited systems (ever) as long as the development involved wasn't too hard" you honestly wouldn't mind it "only having systems visited from 2.2 onwards"?

Really? :eek:

Last edited:
I mean, yeah, great, but why would this data even exist? Why would the game have been tracking every system we visited to date?

If I'm wrong, cool, but I highly doubt its possibility.

Obviously if the code or database issues are to hard, fine! But I'm sure a dedicated option in menu could download a complete list of system visited which could then be dropped into the new local database. That doesn't sound too hard to me? And restrict the call to once a week or what ever makes sense.

ED Discovery can do it with the EDSM database, so I'm sure FDEV could manage it, unless they have a database that is system centric and indexed thus:

Your visit to a particular system is stored in a table indexed against that system... and commanders do not have a list of planets indexed against their ID.

In other words to see where you've actually visited, you'd have to poll every system in the galaxy that has been visited at least once (because apparantly that is when the system is generated from the galaxy seed) and poll for the presence of your ID to ascertain whether you've visited it or not.

It might be that from 2.2 each commander WILL maintain an indexed list of planets visited.

I mean, yeah, great, but why would this data even exist? Why would the game have been tracking every system we visited to date?

If I'm wrong, cool, but I highly doubt its possibility.

Fair point... That's one for FD to discuss, but I suspect it does... And worse case, their DB may not have stored if we've simply flown through a system, but at the very least it knows which systems we've scanned anything in.

For a filter to show all systems I visited prior to 2.2 I don't actually care that much (but wouldn't mind it to be there of course), more interessting would be one to only show systems where I have a first discovery tag. Granted thats maybe the same as far as systems out in deep space are concerned.

For a filter to show all systems I visited prior to 2.2 I don't actually care that much (but wouldn't mind it to be there of course), more interessting would be one to only show systems where I have a first discovery tag. Granted thats maybe the same as far as systems out in deep space are concerned.

I concur... And TBH I'd see these lists/filters as symbiotic. If you can do one, why not the other!?

Each would have their own niche use. ie: Just seeing where you've traveled across the galaxy. And obviously where you've planted "your flag" around the galaxy.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that we download a list of all systems which any commander has visited or a list which only the player's commander has visited?

Are you suggesting that we download a list of all systems which any commander has visited or a list which only the player's commander has visited?

Just the CMDR's (player's) own data. ie: System's visited, but in truth I'd like to see "Visited" and "Discovered" as options for the filter and the suggested download to local.

The first thought I had when I saw this in the change log was: I wonder how long it will take the talented and resourceful ED community to devise a tool that would query any verbose logs, netlogs etc... for references to systems visited pre-2.2 in our game folders, and use that to add to the new locally held database of systems visited?

I was assuming a tool would be up and running by about 6.15pm, so I'm a bit surprised to see no-one working on it already :p

Last edited:
Obviously if the code or database issues are to hard, fine! Don't do it...

But I'm sure a dedicated option in the Menu could download a complete list of system visited, which could then be dropped into the new local database. That doesn't sound too hard to me? And restrict the call to once a week or what ever makes sense.

My head is telling me that should be straight forward?! And given the issue of people having to re-install the game and not then having their local data, rather useful!

Your request is probably complicated by the need to balance the server bandwidth among all players that use a given server. So, simply capping the download frequency per user may not be enough to keep bandwidth to a reasonable level.

Last edited:
I don't think they keep CMDR data for that long TBH. I discovered an Asp missing from my ships (probably sold it, but didn't remember doing so), and when I asked support they told me they had no history of my CMDR ever having one, and I suspect that was only a couple of months after I had last used it.

Presumably if they don't have a long term history of what ships I own, they are in my opinion unlikely to have a list of systems visited.

Top Bottom