SUGGESTION: 2.2's Visited System - Have a dedicated Menu option to get/download all visited systems

Visited Systems

• Yes - It would be nice to be able to download all visited systems (ever) as long as the development

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • No - I don't mind it only having systems visited from 2.2 onwards

Votes: 19 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I mean, yeah, great, but why would this data even exist? Why would the game have been tracking every system we visited to date?

If I'm wrong, cool, but I highly doubt its possibility.
The game must betracking this. Actually not systems you have visited, but all systems you have either honked, scanned the nav beacon or purchased nav data for.

Last edited:
Your request is probably complicated by the need to balance the server bandwidth among all players that use a given server. So, simply capping the download frequency per user may not be enough to keep bandwidth to a reasonable level.

Easy enough to trickle the download too...

ie: You go to Menu and press "Sync Local Data", and it then does one or more calls, over a period, showing a bar downloading data at say just a max of 10K a second.

And I suspect the data being downloaded might only be tens/hundreds of K in size. ie: The size of single JPG! So in my example, you'd see it downloading for around a minute even at a net friendly 10K a second... And you do this probably incredibly rarely.

And this is ignoring any clever syncing that realises it only needs to download some of the CMDRs data, not all.

Furthermore, you may find such requests (can) go to completely different servers than might be consider critical game servers too. Worse case, the request is denied if the network is deemed busy as it's hardly mission critical, and just something the user would probaby do once ever. ie: If they can't do it today, they'll be happy to do it tomorrow.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

The game must betracking this. Actually not systems you have visited, but all systems you have either honked, scanned the nav beacon or purchased nav data for.

Isn't there a total in your system panel saying how many systems you've visited?? If so, if you revisit a system this wouldn't go up? So therefore they must know which systems you've visited?

Last edited:
It would be great to have but I doubt they have the data. If they had recorded where we all had been we would probably already have access to it. I suspect that they haven't recorded it to keep data volumes low.

I am very happy that we will be able to record this data locally going forward.

It would be great to have but I doubt they have the data. If they had recorded where we all had been we would probably already have access to it. I suspect that they haven't recorded it to keep data volumes low.

I am very happy that we will be able to record this data locally going forward.

I suspect they do have the data...

As mentioned above:-
1) If you look in your system panel doesn't it tell you how many systems you've visit (I'll need to check)? If so, then surely they have this data as if you go back and forth between two a hundred times it'll register that as 2 rather than 200.
2) At the very least just complete the list with "honked" systems, any system you'ev scanned in anyway etc.

Two more considerations:-
- If you have to re-install ED in a years time? You're happy you'll have lost all your visited systems for a year? And in three years?
- And of course the suggestion of including "Discovered" in addition to "Visited" as a filter and the data to download... And obviously they have information of any system you've discovered something in :)

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
@NeilF . Might I suggestion putting a link in the OP to the "The VisitedStars cache" thread created by hchalkley - the FDEV who is creating the player Journal for us. See also thread "Commanders log manual and data sample". It puts things in perspective. Also it makes clear that third party tools can partially do what you suggest. Partially because probably no commander has all the netlogs since the start official start of Ed in december 2014. If commanders want to know what I exactly mean they can visit the "The VisitedStars cache" thread and read it in the OP. Just my 2 euro cent.

EDIT: ninja-ed by gazelle. After all gazelles are faster then wolverines.... But are they deadlier ;-)

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
The first thought I had when I saw this in the change log was: I wonder how long it will take the talented and resourceful ED community to devise a tool that would query any verbose logs, netlogs etc... for references to systems visited pre-2.2 in our game folders, and use that to add to the new locally held database of systems visited?

I was assuming a tool would be up and running by about 6.15pm, so I'm a bit surprised to see no-one working on it already :p

Commanders already found the VisitedStarsCache.dat file and this is why FDEV programmer hchalkley created the "Tthe VisitedStars cache". He/FD came up with an elegant solution - which makes tampering with the cache file unneeded. Something which ofc otherwise would have been done.

A snippet from the thread: "If you write a file named ImportStars.txt into the same folder, with one star system name per line, then start the game, it will lookup the names and merge them into the cache. (If you have many thousands of star names in the file, it may take a few minutes to process). Once it is finished, it will rename the file so it doesn't re-import them next time. It will report the total number of stars imported, the number of duplicates, and the number that failed lookup, via the message input window. This feature should be available in the next Beta release."

Last edited:
Commanders already found the VisitedStarsCache.dat file and this is why FDEV programmer hchalkley created the "Tthe VisitedStars cache". He/FD came up with an elegant solution - which makes tampering with the cache file unneeded. Something which ofc otherwise would have been done.

A snippet from the thread: "If you write a file named ImportStars.txt into the same folder, with one star system name per line, then start the game, it will lookup the names and merge them into the cache. (If you have many thousands of star names in the file, it may take a few minutes to process). Once it is finished, it will rename the file so it doesn't re-import them next time. It will report the total number of stars imported, the number of duplicates, and the number that failed lookup, via the message input window. This feature should be available in the next Beta release."

Indeed... And the beauty is it's half of what's being suggested for with this proposal? ie: The import/update is already in the game. FD need now only provide a way for us to download the text file it requires with a complete list of all stars visited. (If possible)

I'd imagine this file would only be in the tens/hundreds of K even for a typical long standing CMDR?

Last edited:
After all gazelles are faster then wolverines.... But are they deadlier ;-)

Of course:
nbHg7tQ.png

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer

Good one. You put a smile on my face. You also nicely faked your Combat Rank. You will for certain kick my butt that's for sure. I'm a PB1 and 84-er for that matter, but stopped playing shortly after the official release. Don't ask. Have been following the forums though and done some other ED related things. The release of the official API might be a good time to start playing again. That is after I kick my FO4 addiction. I totally absolutely positively believe in third party tools. I'm guessing the new journal API will bring forth a LOT of new excellent programs/websites. Stuff which I can only dream about.

Last edited:
Confirmation: FD's database almost certainly knows which systems you've been to (ever), so they could produce a list it would seem?!

In your system panel it shows "Systems Visited". This goes up when you go to a system for the first time, and does not when you revisit.

Last edited:
Great poll, +rep to NeilF (not his 1st great idea, not his last, thanks NeilF) :)
Voted yes, obviously.

Last edited:
In the beginning, the response from the companion API did include all visited starport and starsystem names. I guess the strain was to big on the database server after it became public knowledge how to access it.

So I'm pretty sure they do know all the systems you were in but it's just too costly to do it "in game". I guess that's why they introduced the local cache.

@wolverine:
Glad you liked it, it took me a while in paint to do it. And I also take breaks in playing Elite (witcher 3, deus ex, ...).

I all about for stuff that do not need access the servers for improving performance on the client side. Hell, if we need to have 1GB of data in our hardrives to reduce server access and make the game perform better then "make it so".

In the beginning, the response from the companion API did include all visited starport and starsystem names. I guess the strain was to big on the database server after it became public knowledge how to access it.

So I'm pretty sure they do know all the systems you were in but it's just too costly to do it "in game". I guess that's why they introduced the local cache.

@wolverine:
Glad you liked it, it took me a while in paint to do it. And I also take breaks in playing Elite (witcher 3, deus ex, ...).

Hang on... So at one point, FD were returning a list of all visited systems via their new API?

Top Bottom