[Suggestion] Increase of Colonia Population

SONrhNQl.jpg

After quite a year of existence of the Colonia, infrastructure development and life in this region is still in bad condition. New factions are faced with the problem of low population in the systems, and this creates many difficulties for these organizations. This gives rise to constant random changes in BGS, and even one pilot now is able to significantly influence this process.

In terms of regularly and successfully conducted new waves of migration, for some reason we do not see any increase in population in an already inhabited systems. Although this is supposed to happen, because migration in the region means the influx of colonists not only in the new system, but previously created evenly.

In Eol Prou Group offered to send a part of new settlers in previously inhabited systems, after the completion of each migration CG, to increase their populations and the development of the Colonia as a full second habitable bubble. This will increase the attractiveness of the region and will relieve existing faction from undue hardship in the form of regularly arising problems in BGS.

To this proposal, who has suggestions or improvements, say here. Suddenly something will be interesting and it can also be used?

(reread OP and edited) A run of passenger CGs would be great, Maybe a bulk lot per week for different factions?

Last edited:
As far as activity in Colonia is concerned, we are constantly coming up with ideas to create events. FDev should really throw us a bone and give us a CG to complete.

I totally aggree that the small population in Colonia is causing problems.
Only just increasing some numbers in a data column will not fix the basic issue.
Colonia is get fully integrated into BGS. Currently I doubt it is. Secondly there is
to be a BGS logic which moves population around.

Usually miners follow the mines and mercenaries follow the war. People are moving
to lacations where wealth can be gained and this is to get reflected here. The more
business a system offers the more people will get there over time. If the hype is over
or war is ongoing people will leave....

Thats the logic I would expect.

Regards,
Miklos

One would think the system would grow eventually but will be at a slow rate considering the distance from the bubble. For me it's a challenge getting there and collecting some credits on the way through exploration. I've 7000ly to go to reach Colonia. Once I get there I suspect I'd be exploring further. I joined the Colonia Exploration and Research Migration Group and hope to see this group gain settlement in Colonia.

Sandro Sammarco

Lead Designer
Frontier
Hello Commander AiryKai!

Although you're not going to see mega populations such as those present in core systems, populations on currently inhabited systems in the Colonia region can and *will* increase over time.

The Colonia region is *fully* connected to the background simulation; it's an ongoing enterprise that started small, but as it grows, expect it to slowly transform.

Slowly transform? What? For 10,000 people every six months? Every three months? Why then created a Colonia!? Excuse me, but we will wait five years for at least 250 thousand people? For reference, history shows that the colonization of distant lands is quite intensive. And in terms of gameplay, increasing the stability of the region will attract players here who swore allegiance to factions that poured their bases in the colony. And I remember well that if there are too few people in the colony, the colony project will become a low priority, but if there are people - the priority will rise. Therefore, I believe that it would be appropriate to make a small exception here. All the same except for the factions and their people, there is nobody to be interested in the colony, except for rare loners and no less rare researchers.

Hello Commander AiryKai!

Although you're not going to see mega populations such as those present in core systems, populations on currently inhabited systems in the Colonia region can and *will* increase over time.

The Colonia region is *fully* connected to the background simulation; it's an ongoing enterprise that started small, but as it grows, expect it to slowly transform.
Thanks for the update. I do hope it will transform a bit faster than slow. That begs the question also how quickly engineers are located in the Colonia regions. Migration comes with skilled work. I agree with Joe's comment that colonisation is quite intensive and that should be the norm in ED. I'm on my last leg to Colonia now after a 17,200 LY distance travelled from SOL and so hope Colonia will boom in trade, exploration, mining much sooner than mentioned. I'd like to see fellow commanders who made that journey remain in the Colonia region. As for a great cause, perhaps having available all ship types and outfitting to go with it like in Founders World would be awesome. Anyway I do hope the progression will be much faster. I'd hate to suicidewinder back to the bubble or take the return journey back to where it all started from.

Last edited:
Hello Commander AiryKai!

Can I ask a few questions about the BGS.

So currently The Truckers have got Fort Mug, and since the patch landed we pushed them up to 80% already and there is a boom state but no mission board and no passengers. There is a healthy commodity market there through with painite currently, but colony economy doesn't buy or sell much. No shipyard, pitiful outfitting.

So do Colony types change into different economy types? Can we expect a RNG roll to select that? Is there any way we can improve the base to make it improve with a shipyard? Can we get the mission board and passenger board fixed?

With expansion can we expect the system to grow in size? I assume it was easy because there is little pressure at the moment as the BGS had to run it's Game of Life sequence and pick the next square to move to. I expect Colonia region will see a lot of border skirmishes in the next few months with factions setting their boundaries. I expect Colonia itself will be hotly contested. It's going to be a bloodbath, and I love it :D

Also can we have a new weekly CG to get engineers out here. Tier 3 should guarantee the engineer with some basic level 1-3 mods. Tier 8 means they get level 5 mods. Maybe 3-4 engineers could be supported out here just now (I have a nice system for once :D )

QOL request - can we *please* separate Black Holes and Neutron Stars now in the filtering. With the high use of neutron stars it would make sense now. Also could there be a way to chain a query, like add in a systems visited filter while also having a star classification filter? Maybe one for Dav to answer if it's feasible on the database?

Honestly I'm loving it out here - feels like ED back when we were doing the beta, that small bubble of systems that gradually grew and everything still seemed so grand. I expect people will realise this and we'll see a gold rush soon, lots of opportunities out here :)

Last edited:

Steve Kirby

Lead Games Designer, Frontier Developments
Frontier
Hi Folks,

I'd like to let you know that we are constantly looking at Colonia and have a list of the things that we feel need to be added, both through our own desires and feedback from players like yourselves.
Enginners in Colonia, raising the population and getting more to do out there are all on that list and being discussed as to how we can best support them in that region of the galaxy.

At the moment we have no details to share or ETA on when/if this will happen but I wanted to let you know that we are listening and have plans for the Colonia region (That sounded less creepy in my head)

I can say that the mission boards and passengers should be fixed after the server reboot today. Please let us know if this is not the case.

Thanks

Steve K

I can say that the mission boards and passengers should be fixed after the server reboot today. Please let us know if this is not the case.

Checked them at Jaques and Rock Rats Reach. No missions or passengers on the boards.

edit: or is the server reboot still to happen?

Last edited:
A CG for passengers would be great. Migration CG where pilots fly passengers on a one way trip to Colonia would be pretty fun and I think I would actually make that trip. Colonia also needs a high tech station with some proper ships and modules.

Early last year the BGS summary posted as a Dev Update stated that there was still a lot to do to develop the socio-economic simulation and that better population modelling would be a major addition.

The suggestion that there was any BGS population modelling at all was a surprise, as the populations as stated on the galaxy map haven't changed in the last eighteen months. While there was conjecture that the galaxy map might be bugged, nothing was confirmed.

Over a year later there is again the suggestion that there is population modelling already in the BGS, though it is not clarified whether we have the improved version that had been discussed.

However, why should we recognise the slow transformation of Colonia when the information available to us shows that the populations of the main bubble are unchanged? Is this an upcoming feature?

Top Bottom