Suggestion on Optimizing Travel Times Without Breaking Current "Game Rules"

The suggestion is quite simple and seems to be easy to implement

Allow in-system "hyper-space" jumps to the 2nd/3rd or any star whenever you are already inside the star system

Reasons and background lore explanation for such without breaking existing game "rules":
1. You can't hyper-jump to a secondary or tertiary star in a system because your FSD is unable to lock on a star which is not the "main" one (this is fine!);
2. But once you are already inside the system you should be able to manually target any star from your left-side (navigation) panel and hyper-jump there;
3. Because it is an existing mechanics, this might be quite easy to adopt and shall be benneficial to both Horizons and Odyssey.

Cheers!

People can even fly the full SC journey if so inclined, but being able to "hyper-jump" to another star once you're already in-system will help everyone and won't break the rules

We beat that poor dead horse pretty hard over they years now...

But in short, in-system jumps are bad not because they break any "rules" (rules in sci-fi, sure), but because it invalidates Interdiction mechanic and it doesn't bring much into the gameplay. *ninja'd by Bottom Hat...

Several community-suggested methods of either Slingshot or SC "Boost Button" would be much more in-line, since it will actually make interdictions more exciting, will introduce completely optional gameplay for that small speed-up, and involve risk and skill, plus improve on space travel fun factor immensely, but who cares, right?...

P.S. While we're at it, I demand White Dwarf boost to +100% from +50%!
I mean, why not? They are far more dangerous than Neutrons, and almost nobody bothers with them for such a small increase for how much risk is involved. With 100% at least some people would consider to use them, aye?

But in short, in-system jumps are bad not because they break any "rules" (rules in sci-fi, sure), but because it invalidates Interdiction mechanic
I don't think it does - interdiction on the long gap between primary and secondary star is virtually impossible for players (and entirely so for NPCs) - hanging around charging for the inter-star jump (which could require a minute at zero throttle to calibrate, for balance) and then having to travel out from the secondary star would actually put you at more risk of interdiction than going the long way round.

And besides, a combination of Fleet Carriers and NPCs having the interdiction skills of a potato mean that the Interdiction mechanic has already essentially been invalidated, set on fire, stomped out, and thrown in the ocean. Apex in Odyssey appears to allow travel with no interdictions possible as well - we'll see in Alpha 2 how that interacts with ship ownership, but even if you can't transfer a ship with cargo it'll still make data courier missions impossible to fail. The idea that players might be attacked while going about their peaceful business was mostly left behind in FFE and what was left of it in 1.0 has long since been worn away.

(I actually like the NPC interdictions, which means that most of the time I actively have to cut throttle to 50% to let them catch up)

old chestnut.jpg

How many times is that this week? :rolleyes:

Why not just keep the current supercruise max speed limit but double the speed of supercruise.
Why not do both? Increase max SC speed AND allow in-system "hyper-jump" to a secondary star because there are stars +1.600.000 ls apart from the initial arrival point which takes a LOT of aimless "game time"

We beat that poor dead horse pretty hard over they years now...

But in short, in-system jumps are bad not because they break any "rules" (rules in sci-fi, sure), but because it invalidates Interdiction mechanic and it doesn't bring much into the gameplay. *ninja'd by Bottom Hat...

Several community-suggested methods of either Slingshot or SC "Boost Button" would be much more in-line, since it will actually make interdictions more exciting, will introduce completely optional gameplay for that small speed-up, and involve risk and skill, plus improve on space travel fun factor immensely, but who cares, right?...

P.S. While we're at it, I demand White Dwarf boost to +100% from +50%!
I mean, why not? They are far more dangerous than Neutrons, and almost nobody bothers with them for such a small increase for how much risk is involved. With 100% at least some people would consider to use them, aye?
Imo, white dwarfs should give the full neutron boost, but only to stars in the cone itself. Just as powerful, but more limited.

Deleted member 115407

D
The main argument against this is the piracy one, be it npc or player.

I'm not saying your idea is crap - I'm just letting you know that it'll be coming, and perhaps in a more angry way?!
As a PvP pirate, I support the idea of in-system star jumping. I'm going to figure out where the points of traffic are anyways, and I'll go stalk the secondary star if I have to. Anyone who is able to high wake out to another system is capable of highwaking out to another star, so I don't see what the issue is.

One thing is for sure, if I'm not able to get the drop on someone, and they beat me into full speed supercruise, I'm damn sure not chasing them 200,000 Ls to the next star. I wouldn't consider them waking to the next in-system star any more of a loss than them waking out to the next star system.

If anyone has counterpoint to my position, I'd love to hear it.

Anyone who thinks flying in a straight line for 20 minutes to get from the A to the B star is "fun gameplay" is out of their gourd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom