Suggestion: Pilot character upper body position from HMD tracking

This is just a (very) minor suggestion, but I think it would be a nice touch; if the in-game pilot character's upper body followed from the HMD position (within limits). Including the head (with rotation, for seeing your own shadow, or for other players to see, though I imagine the latter is probably not often).

I've only seen this in one tech demo for the Oculus Rift, the Star Wars: Battle of Endor demo. It's updated to CV1. I just tried it on my DK2, it worked well except the ship keeps spinning (controller issues), so I haven't really tried it a lot. But anyway I think it's a nice little detail!

EDIT: Old link seems to be down, found a new here (in french, but has video). And a more direct link to download Star Wars Battle Of Endor CV1. I tried it on Oculus Quest 1 (PC Link), which also works. Unfortunately, it's rather quirky when it comes to controller configuration (hold down SHIFT when you open / doubleclick the exe file to get to configuration), so expect some trial and error before you get it right (ish).

Last edited:
Browsing my old profile here on ED forums, and bumping this again (Seems like a logarithmic event.. . . 4 years time until next time? lol).
Anyhow. I'm afraid I haven't played ED in a long time, like, maybe a year or more (at least I demoed it last autumn to my brother).

So, is there such a mechanic in the game currently? Not that it's a make or break kind of thing, far from it. But it would be a nice detail. As long as we don't have space legs (we still don't have space legs, right?). Point in case (or however you english speaking folks say), look at Star Trek Bridge Crew. Upper body follows you. At least to a point. Awesome, right? It also follows the arms from the motion controllers, of which I guess wouldn't be used here, but then I'm guessing most people have some kind of HOTAS maybe, or other controllers (heck, maybe even virtual controls? Then you could use motion controllers anyway).

Updated OP with new link and description, and bumping this to nudge FDEV in the right direction 😇
(You never know...).

Forgot to mention, we've had other games since then that features a self-shadow and a body. Of note; Lone Echo. Which also have pretty decent IK body and zero-g mechanics.

I've yet again had a long pause from ED, but as I suspect they haven't implemented this I'm doing a (slightly pre-) 7-year anniversary bump for this excellent suggestion ;)
My CV1 link in the first post still works, if anyone wants to give this immersion-boost a try.

I've yet again had a long pause from ED, but as I suspect they haven't implemented this I'm doing a (slightly pre-) 7-year anniversary bump for this excellent suggestion ;)
My CV1 link in the first post still works, if anyone wants to give this immersion-boost a try.
Star Wars: Squadrons also has the body-following-HMD thing and is a very cool little touch 👍

Top Bottom