Summary of Focused Feedback Squadrons livestream

[video=youtube;fT4T20enqOk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4T20enqOk[/video]

Original Reddit post

• Squadrons ≃ "guilds", and a multiplayer organisation tool, to enhance and organise existing gameplay
  • Not being designed around Solo CMDRs, being designed around groups of CMDRs
  • Leaders/Officers will not gain benefits (credits, resources)
  • Minimum requirement for creating a Squadron = 1 CMDR
  • Minimum requirement for many Squadron features (e.g. getting a Carrier) = "a number of CMDRs"
  • Squadron names can be reserved for existing player groups, to prevent name-sniping
  • Squadron name will be permanent upon its creation, and must be unique
  • Will a deleted-Squadron's name be available again = don't know, will check with server, gameplay teams
  • Will rank be a requirement for Squadron creation = no
  • Custom decals/logos for Squadrons = not at the moment
  • Squadron-creation fee hasn't been set yet - want to prevent Squadron-creation spam yet still allow smalls groups to create them
  • Invitations can be disabled, i.e. "this Squadron is not accepting new members"
  • Squadron page will be accessible in-cockpit, and similarly sized to Starport Services
  • While creating a Squadron costs a credit fee, joining one is free
  • 250 cap increase being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
  • Squadron alliances/connections being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
  • Potential for both the cap increase and alliances/connections to be added
  • Minor faction and Powerplay allegiances/ties not being talked about yet, but aren't a no
  • Squadron bank is not being discussed now (will be during main Carrier feedback)
  • Wings will stay the same
  • Plenty of Squadron selectable "tags" available to help filtering/searching (e.g. search & rescue, PvP, timezones, Conlonia) and want more suggestions
  • Each Squadron will have a 4 character ID to appear *somewhere* with CMDR names for identification
  • Instancing will not be changed to allow 250+ CMDRs in same instance, but...
  • ...will be easier for members to join the same instance as they'll have high matchmaking priority
  • Squadrons and notoriety? Will be discussed at a later point
  • Will Squadron chat have a back history, to read when you go online = no
  • Squadron "rank" count (3 so far - Leader, Officers, Pilots) increase being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
  • Officers privileges are fully-customisable anyway, so different officers in same Squadron can have different roles
  • Those ranks will not be renamable
  • Carrier is a very large ship that members can dock with
  • Carrier can jump if a large enough amount of a "resource" is collected
  • Carrier movement not restricted to weekly server tick, can jump whenever enough "resource" is collected
  • Can have a Squadron without a Carrier
  • Squadron "beacon" for pointing members to a place/meetup is being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
  • Stickied Squadron chat message-of-the-day can contain instructions/details/whatever
  • Squadron comms will be text
  • Squadrons and their comms are not cross-platform
  • Non-members can visit and see another Squadron's Carrier, visibly identify its upgrades, but cannot dock at it
  • Nobody can create more than one Squadron
  • Edge-cases of Squadron leadership (inactive, wiped save, etc) being discussed by the devteam
  • Squadron-created missions = no
  • Squadron comms might be cross-gamemode, i.e. messaging across Open/Group/Solo
  • Will Squadron members be visible on the Galaxy map, cross-gamemode = being discussed amongst the devteam
  • Squadron page will contain statistics, roster, Carrier details, info & chat feeds, etc
  • Can you hide your Squadron ID = don't know, will discuss amongst the devteam
  • More information on Carriers in the future
  • Will it be possible to walk around in the Carrier = no, it will not be introducing SpaceLegs
  • Carriers can be customised, details to be announced in future
  • Carriers are of Megaship scale, and cost will be paid for by the Squadron, not specifically the Leader
  • Edward Lewis keeps sabotaging the stream: first no audio, and the lights keep switching off
  • Will Squadrons be able to have a description = no (initially), hoping the tagging system will be enough
  • Will the feed contain news for bragging rights, PvP kills, etc = give your feedback on what you want in the feed
I think that's everything, some things I've re-ordered for consistency.

Another great FF Q&A stream team, please keep them coming o7

On a personal note: it's great to see multiplayer organisational tools and benefits (e.g. Carrier) finally coming to Elite, hopefully this leads to more benefits for CMDRs to play in Open and with/against other CMDRs. Co-operative and conflicting emergent content FTW :D

Last edited:
On a personal note: it's great to see multiplayer organisational tools and benefits (e.g. Carrier) finally coming to Elite, hopefully this leads to more benefits for CMDRs to play in Open and with/against other CMDRs. Co-operative and conflicting emergent content FTW :D

The summary you posted sounds good, and overall I can't find any major flaw with Squadrons at the moment. It's just that multiplayer in this game for me is dead, killed by years of one-dimensional encounters, RNGineers imbalance, power creep, item grandfathering or lax attitude towards both criminality and combat logging. Whenever I feel like playing some sweet space action I get these flashbacks of the horrible, horrible experiences I've had in this game 2016 onwards and I just repack my joystick. If only Squadrons would have come before RNGineers.

Whenever I feel like playing some sweet space action I get these flashbacks of the horrible, horrible experiences I've had in this game 2016 onwards and I just repack my joystick. If only Squadrons would have come before RNGineers.

That sounds like serious stuff. You might need to seek professional help...

Thanks for the recap Stuart.

Excellent stream as always, and I am loving how Squadrons is looking so far.

Nice write up, cmdr! One small point though - They didn't say squadrons = guilds, they said that squadrons were similar particularly in terms of the core communication aspects, but indicated that other aspects would be a bit different.

It's an important distinction to make as saying squadrons are guilds might lead people to expect squadrons to work in ways that they aren't going to.

It's around the 44 minute mark if anyone wants to check what was said.

o7

Nice write up, cmdr! One small point though - They didn't say squadrons = guilds, they said that squadrons were similar particularly in terms of the core communication aspects, but indicated that other aspects would be a bit different.

It's an important distinction to make as saying squadrons are guilds might lead people to expect squadrons to work in ways that they aren't going to.

It's around the 44 minute mark if anyone wants to check what was said.

o7
Is there a defined list of features that guilds have that Squadrons won't be meeting? For most people, "guilds" = a large, organised, in-game group of players.

Either way, I've changed it to "≃"

Last edited:
Thanks for the summary, looks good to me. The big deal is obviously what will be build upon it, but it sounds like a decent enough foundation. :)

• ...will be easier for members to join the same instance
Curious to know how this will work. Everyone seems keen to get into a mega brawl with other squadrons but if yours almost fills out an instance (because of this affinity) how do you get to instance with the other mob to duke it out (especially if they are a similarly large almost-instance-filling blob)?

Is there a defined list of features that guilds have that Squadrons won't be meeting? For most people, "guilds" = a large, organised, in-game group of players.

Either way, I've changed it to "≃"

Not that I'm aware of, but that's kind of the point - what always happens will happen, and assumptions will be made based on people's personal understandings of what a guild is, those will get spread around and then if/when squadrons doesn't match those assumptions, the salt will flow, and there will be cries of 'they said it would have x', even though it was never said in the first place.

Anyway, nice one on the change! (And I hope you see where I'm coming from, and that it hasn't come across as some just some nitpicking attempt at criticising the excellent OP. :) )

Curious to know how this will work. Everyone seems keen to get into a mega brawl with other squadrons but if yours almost fills out an instance (because of this affinity) how do you get to instance with the other mob to duke it out (especially if they are a similarly large almost-instance-filling blob)?

Answer: you can't. Just like how it works today when too many players try to get into the same instance: the game breaks down.

That was something I was wondering about.

You know that moment when you think they never ever answer my questions at these livestreams ...... and then at the last minute, right before the close ... Will picks my question .... yay ! Thanks Will !

The answer to which was (if you are wondering lol):

• Non-members can visit and see another Squadron's Carrier, visibly identify its upgrades, but cannot dock at it
First rate summary, OP, this was a lot of (helpful) work[up] +1

Last edited:
Original Reddit post

• Squadrons ≃ "guilds", and a multiplayer organisation tool, to enhance and organise existing gameplay
  • Not being designed around Solo CMDRs, being designed around groups of CMDRs
  • Leaders/Officers will not gain benefits (credits, resources)
  • Minimum requirement for creating a Squadron = 1 CMDR
  • Minimum requirement for many Squadron features (e.g. getting a Carrier) = "a number of CMDRs"
  • Squadron names can be reserved for existing player groups, to prevent name-sniping
  • Squadron name will be permanent upon its creation, and must be unique
  • Will a deleted-Squadron's name be available again = don't know, will check with server, gameplay teams
  • Will rank be a requirement for Squadron creation = no
  • Custom decals/logos for Squadrons = not at the moment
  • Squadron-creation fee hasn't been set yet - want to prevent Squadron-creation spam yet still allow smalls groups to create them
  • Invitations can be disabled, i.e. "this Squadron is not accepting new members"
  • Squadron page will be accessible in-cockpit, and similarly sized to Starport Services
  • While creating a Squadron costs a credit fee, joining one is free
  • 250 cap increase being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
  • Squadron alliances/connections being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
  • Potential for both the cap increase and alliances/connections to be added
  • Minor faction and Powerplay allegiances/ties not being talked about yet, but aren't a no
  • Squadron bank is not being discussed now (will be during main Carrier feedback)
  • Wings will stay the same
  • Plenty of Squadron selectable "tags" available to help filtering/searching (e.g. search & rescue, PvP, timezones, Conlonia) and want more suggestions
  • Each Squadron will have a 4 character ID to appear *somewhere* with CMDR names for identification
  • ...will be easier for members to join the same instance
  • Squadrons and notoriety? Will be discussed at a later point
  • Will Squadron chat have a back history, to read when you go online = no
  • Squadron "rank" count (3 so far - Leader, Officers, Pilots) increase being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
  • Officers privileges are fully-customisable anyway, so different officers in same Squadron can have different roles
  • Those ranks will not be renamable
  • Carrier is a very large ship that members can dock with
  • Carrier can jump if a large enough amount of a "resource" is collected
  • Carrier movement not restricted to weekly server tick, can jump whenever enough "resource" is collected
  • Can have a Squadron without a Carrier
  • Squadron "beacon" for pointing members to a place/meetup is being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
  • Stickied Squadron chat message-of-the-day can contain instructions/details/whatever
  • Squadron comms will be text
  • Squadrons and their comms are not cross-platform
  • Nobody can create more than one Squadron
  • Edge-cases of Squadron leadership (inactive, wiped save, etc) being discussed by the devteam
  • Squadron-created missions = no
  • Squadron comms might be cross-gamemode, i.e. messaging across Open/Group/Solo
  • Will Squadron members be visible on the Galaxy map, cross-gamemode = being discussed amongst the devteam
  • Squadron page will contain statistics, roster, Carrier details, info & chat feeds, etc
  • Can you hide your Squadron ID = don't know, will discuss amongst the devteam
  • More information on Carriers in the future
  • Will it be possible to walk around in the Carrier = no, it will not be introducing SpaceLegs
  • Carriers can be customised, details to be announced in future
  • Carriers are of Megaship scale, and cost will be paid for by the Squadron, not specifically the Leader
  • Edward Lewis keeps sabotaging the stream: first no audio, and the lights keep switching off
  • Will Squadrons be able to have a description = no (initially), hoping the tagging system will be enough
  • Will the feed contain news for bragging rights, PvP kills, etc = give your feedback on what you want in the feed
I think that's everything, some things I've re-ordered for consistency.

Another great FF Q&A stream team, please keep them coming o7

+Rep

Thanks a million! (don't have time to watch)

Cheer for this!

Each Squadron will have a 4 character ID to appear *somewhere* with CMDR names for identification

Will it be the first 4 letters? An acronym? Will the Fuel Rats just be [FUEL]? Will people be able to make jokes? This is important...

Top Bottom