Super cruise and hyper space

So a previous thread, well multiple threads I read had me curious about something.

So there's Hutton orbital, 20ly from the star. It takes 40 minutes(est) at Max SC speed (2001c if I remember correctly)

Why is it, that in a similar ship (heck the same ship) once you get up to speed, (2001c) it still says, it'd take a year to SC out of system to a targeted system 8ly away?

Stepping back further, a year ago I remember a guy telling me, he'd just mined a FULL anacondas worth of painite. And his FSD was damaged, if I remember correctly back then his load would have yielded 500m+. And so to travel 47ly in SC he had to leave his game on, for 8 months. Barely managing to scoop stars on his normal route, without the fsd.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Questions? (Open discussion!)

You can't travel to another star system in SC.
You must jump at some point to load some info from servers.
Also HUD shows "> 1 year" which means "more than 1 year"

Last edited:
You can't travel to another star system in SC.
You must jump at some point to load some info from servers.

So, I'm guessing, what you are saying is:

The guy lied about SCing 8months real time to travel 47ly?

Is there verify able evidence to support this?

(Please don't think I'm being hostile, Im just curious and prefer facts over speculation)

So, I'm guessing, what you are saying is:

The guy lied about SCing 8months real time to travel 47ly?

Is there verify able evidence to support this?

Yes, the guy was full of it (although maybe he wasted all this time, who knows).
Some people tried to do it. There are videos on YT showing how it looks like

Stepping back further, a year ago I remember a guy telling me, he'd just mined a FULL anacondas worth of painite. And his FSD was damaged, if I remember correctly back then his load would have yielded 500m+. And so to travel 47ly in SC he had to leave his game on, for 8 months. Barely managing to scoop stars on his normal route, without the fsd.

Also, he did say he'd recorded it and posted it to YouTube... I never looked, nor do I remember his name or channel.

So a previous thread, well multiple threads I read had me curious about something.

So there's Hutton orbital, 20ly from the star. It takes 40 minutes(est) at Max SC speed (2001c if I remember correctly)

Why is it, that in a similar ship (heck the same ship) once you get up to speed, (2001c) it still says, it'd take a year to SC out of system to a targeted system 8ly away?

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Questions? (Open discussion!)
A lot of that’s not making sense OP, so will try to clarify.

SC has a universal and local maximum.

The universal maximum is 2,001c. It is the maximum speed reachable via SC.

The local maximum is the maximum SC speed at the point in space you’re at. For the purposes of this we can consider it as being reduced from the universal maximum in proportion to the net gravitational field strength at that point in space.

So, travelling at max supercruise does not mean travelling at 2,001c. It means travelling at the local maximum, and that local maximum will change as you travel.

To understand better, let’s consider just 2 duplicate stars, reasonably far apart and you’re travelling on a straight line between them.

As you start travelling you’re near the first star so the local maximum is low. As you move away from it, the local maximum increases and continues to do so until you reach half way between the stars after which it will then decrease as you move towards the second star.

Hope that makes sense so far.

Let's go through your post now.

Hutton Orbital isn't 20ly from the star.

Hutton Orbital is a few ls from Proxima Centauri (a star).

Proxima Centauri is 6,397,061 ls from Alpha Centauri. (They are part of the same system). That's 0.2 ly, not 20 ly.

The trip is roughly of the star to star form talked about higher above. You can travel at local maximum all the way. That's not the same as travelling 2,001c all the way, as explained above.

It doesn't. It tells you the estimated travel time based on your current speed. At 2,001c, your travel time for 8 ly would be 0.004 years (1.46 days). If the travel time for 8 ly is showing as more than 1 year, then it mean your currently travelling at less than 8c.

Some guy didn't know what he was talking about. If that's what he was planning then it didn't work. If he was saying he did it then he was lying. The biggest point to take into account is that you can't reach anything that's not in your system using supercruise. So they can't have done what they said in any way whatsoever.

Hopefully that all makes sense now! o7

Quickly did the maths and I'm suspecting you might have misunderstood (or misremembered) the 47 ly & 8 months stuff OP.

47 ly is only 8 1/2 days at 2,001 c. Are you sure the person hadn't just rounded down and said 8 days rather than 8 months? Also are you definitely sure they were saying they had done it, and not just that they thought they were planning on doing it?

Edit - Wasn't replying to your post with this @Kzak - hadn't seen your post when writing this one. Figure you're making more or less the same point! :D

Last edited:
I tried it I think 6 month ago or so, didn't work. You need an arrival from a jump in order to get a star from the forge. There is no way around it.

People have been trying the "supercruise to another star system" trick ever since the game started - mostly to try to break in to permit-locked systems wthout the permit. Sol is a very typical example; people will fly to Alpha Centauri, then spend a day or so trying to get to Sol in Supercruise.

The game will let you spend a day or so supercruising towards another star. It will even let you "arrive" at the other star, in terms of counting down the distance until "distance = 0". But when you arrive, there's no star. No planets. Nothing but empty space. as others have stated above, you need to load the assets in the destination star system, and the "hyperspace tunnel" is ED's loading screen, where it generates the target star system, the planets, their positions in their orbits, and what the skybox looks like. None of those things can change without the loading screen.

Now, ED could, in theory, make it so that somewhere out in interstellar space, you hit a new, invisible "loading screen" and it shifts you into the target star system. But they have chosen not to do so. Presumably, because they want to keep the concept of permits intact as currently implemented.

So yes, the guy who said he succesfully supercruised for 47 LYs, stopping and refuelling at other stars along the way, was flat out lying. Because you can't do either of those things.

And a final technicality: Supercruise and hyperspace both require a functioning FSD to operate. So if you somehow manage to damage your FSD so that you can't hyperspace, you can't supercruise either. And the FSD can be fixed back to barely-operational status using reboot/repair.

Perhaps someone in that scenario might try flying through normal space to get to a destination. GIven the mind-numbingly slow capped speed of ships in normal space, that could take months, though 47 LY would take a couple of centuries, rather than months. Perhaps someone tried to fly through normal space with a destroyed FSD, trying to reach a space station that was 47 Ls away - which is technically possible and might indeed take months, but they'd run out of fuel after just a few days at most (since they've allegedly got a full hold of painite, they won't be carrying any extra fuel tanks), so unless they had refuelling help... myth still busted.

Last edited:
Alot of feedback here. Thanks everyone for your insight. I did watch a video on supercruising to another system. And once they got there, it was just a targeting reticle at 0ls as if they kept loop of shaming. The video did show them drop out of supercruise tho.

As for everything else. I was told by a Frontier Forums Moderator that I was lying about my full throttle being 1500c, because if I was at full throttle, for more than 10 minutes I'd be at 2001c. It was a passenger mission within the bubble 20ly from sol, 36 Ophiuchi. But once in the system, it took me an hour an a half to reach the station, at full throttle. Also most of the people in the post, kept assuming even telling me I didn't know the difference, that I was in supercruise assist. I pilot a hull tank type 10, I've been playing over a year, and I never loop of shame, and with type 10 only having two size one optional internal, and one size two. It's a waste of space.

8c biweave enhanced low power, fast charge
6a shield bank specialized
5c first class passenger cabin
3x 5d hull reinforcement
4d hull reinforcement
4d module reinforcement
2x 3d hull reinforcement
2d module reinforcement
1e advanced docking computer
1| planetary approach suite

Why waste a size two, when you only need a size two secondary module reinforcement as the percentage is the same 60.

Why waste a size three when 260 armor can deffinately make the difference between life and death.

Size four and up, you're just down right mad to put a size one module into.

So therefore of course, I was not in supercruise assist.

Also I was told, it doesn't matter what size, class, or engineering you have in your thrusters and fsd. It does not effect your speed in supercruise. All ships move the same speed.

if that's the case, how is it that, it took me an hour and a half to travel from 36 Ophiuchi to 36 Ophiuchi c 4 (4,217,873.00ls) with full throttle at 1500c, with out supercruise assist, and be told be a moderator, I was lying?

Last edited:
First off, you don't attain max speed just by going full throttle. There is a fixed maximum speed you can travel at, which is a property of the point in space you happen to be in at that time, which in turn is determined by how close you are to something massive (like a star or planet). Get far enough away from all stars and planets, and your speed can max out to 2001c. You can't go any faster than 2001c. And yes, that's a homage to Arthur C Clarke.

Travelling in a straight line between two stars, however, you never actually get far enough away to attain 2001c, because the gravitational field of your destination star is also taken into account. The maximum speed you can attain on the Hutton Orbital run, if straight-lining, is about 1861c. The maximum speed you can attain doing the 36 Ophiuchi run is probably about 1500c. I'm not sure how long the straight-line 36 Ophiuchi run takes (I've only done it once, and wasn't timing the run), I think it's about 70 minutes. It's shorter than the Hutton Run, which takes 86 minutes (which I've done numerous times).

To reach 2001c, you basically have to aim your ship at nothing. You should reach 2001c in about 15-20 minutes, though I think the exact time will depend on the mass of the arrival star. It is possible to shave a few minutes off the 86 minutes Hutton Run by flying not in a straight line, but off at an angle of about 45 degrees. Doing this, you can reach 2001c, cruise at 2001c for a few minutes, then drop back down towards Proxima.

In other words, in ED, the quickest route between two points is NOT in a straight line. It's kind of like taking the freeway bypass around town, instead of the old road straight through town. The bypass might be longer, but you can go faster, so it ends up being quicker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom