Game Discussions Super Mario Bros 35th Anniversary Direct

Not even remakes, just straight emulation of the originals. Disappointing when you see what emulators can do with these titles and HD texture packs. Even worse when Nintendo themselves have made the effort in the past for the original SNES All Stars and WiiU remaster of Wind Waker for example. Will still likely pick up a copy as the kids will enjoy playing these on the switch, but it feels like a pretty cheap effort and it's a real pity.

Not even remakes, just straight emulation of the originals. Disappointing when you see what emulators can do with these titles and HD texture packs. Even worse when Nintendo themselves have made the effort in the past for the original SNES All Stars and WiiU remaster of Wind Waker for example. Will still likely pick up a copy as the kids will enjoy playing these on the switch, but it feels like a pretty cheap effort and it's a real pity.

I do agree. Especially with how the PC version of M64 fan port was well executed. My main thing I am looking for is that they patch up Super Mario Sunshine to actually have it count your blue stars, so that it does showcase the effort to make us play this over the originals, but I will be picking it up when it comes out.

But man, have you seen how they patched out the "So long king bowser" line? 😂

Super Mario Sunburn is a fantastic hack of Sunshine too if you're playing on pc. It allows you to continue playing after collecting a shine, so you can collect multiple ones in a single visit. There's also direct travel from some locations to others without having to port back to Delfino Plaza.

Super Mario Sunburn is a fantastic hack of Sunshine too if you're playing on pc. It allows you to continue playing after collecting a shine, so you can collect multiple ones in a single visit. There's also direct travel from some locations to others without having to port back to Delfino Plaza.
Oh that sounds awesome! I love mods like these.

I did install windows 10 on my macbook pro, and it runs PC games really decently (I clocked planet zoo at 40fps, with it going 50fps at most, and 35fps when busy, all on high settings). So I am definitely giving that game a shot when I get to it. That and the Sonic06 fan remake are on my fan modified watchlist.

I have a Princess Peach Amiibo - will that help? ;)
Hold on to it for good luck 😉

Looking back at this direct, it has a very "ew" feeling to it.

I do not mind that the direct is mainly ports on the switch, if anything, having such good games on the portable switch system feels amazing.
What irks me is how the ports are handled, they are not a thing to stay but a temporary item both digitally and physically. Digitally would be the safe bet as scalpers would eat up the physicals. They are highly demanded ports, so needing to create artificial scarcity is not necessary. And like how you mentioned @Fishy, they did not really modify mario 64 much like how the port was handled by fans (60fps, widescreen), so who knows how the other two would feel like.

The other thing is Mario 35. It is another temporary game, but it should be familiar if you recall how a mario fan game was made not too long ago with the same idea. It had 100 players, and you all play the same game together live, and it was taken down by nintendo really fast. So it does taint the experience of 35 if it was related to the mario 100 fan game, and the temporary time to actually play it adds to the salt.

It is still looks like a lot of fun is to be had and I do see myself picking up the collection, but it could be handled a lot better.

Top Bottom