Newcomer / Intro Super Noob

I am simply trying to work out how to do really basic stuff. Can anyone help with scanning for Encrypted Data Recovery? Is it just a matter of targeting objects? The mission instructions said something about scanning the nav beacon?

You can target via the contacts and nav panels in your left UI panel, as well as using the "select target ahead" function you can map.
Nav beacons must be scanned in "real space" (ie not supercruise) and you need to select the little square icon on your ship's scanner, not the circular POI icon.

I am simply trying to work out how to do really basic stuff. Can anyone help with scanning for Encrypted Data Recovery? Is it just a matter of targeting objects? The mission instructions said something about scanning the nav beacon?

Yes, as metatheurgist says, the academy is a very good place.

And welcome to the great family of the Elite! Commander. And fly safe

:)

Assuming this an Encrypted Data Recovery Mission then scanning the Nav Beacon should show the mission target (blue in the Nav panel, probably need to go to supercruise). Go there and do what the mission asked you to do. Probably is an idea to join the discord as these type of step-by-step descriptions soon fill with incorrect info on here :)

Is this a mission you're attempting to complete?

If you accept something from the mission board you travel to the system and drop out into normal flight near the nav beacon. You then target the nav beacon and approach it at a moderate speed.
A message will appear telling you the mission has been updated.
This means that you now know where to go to complete the mission.
The info can be found in by clicking on the mission name in the Transactions tab.

Then scroll down to see the destination.

Alternatively if you go to the Navigation tab and scroll down you should see your destination highlighted there. So you select it and head towards it in supercruise.

The thing you're looking for is probably a container - possibly floating in space. where it would be collected using the cargo scoop, or otherwise on a planed - where you would need a SRV to go and collect it.

Come to the Galactic Academy Discord. We do noob questions and it's more convenient than a forum.
Yes, as metatheurgist says, the academy is a very good place.

And welcome to the great family of the Elite! Commander. And fly safe

:)

While I recognize, the usefulness of Discord's Academy, my recommendation is caution. As far as asking newbie questions go, it's more than fine. Just don't try to engage in any other conversation and don't even try to have a different opinion than some of the established members.
You could find out about the true nature of resident posters, there...

While I recognize, the usefulness of Discord's Academy, my recommendation is caution. As far as asking newbie questions go, it's more than fine. Just don't try to engage in any other conversation and don't even try to have a different opinion than some of the established members.
You could find out about the true nature of resident posters, there...

I find discord way less clique-y and way more straightforward than here, ymmv.

:D

I'd give the same advice there in any event.

Thank you all for your responses. I will consider joining the Discord. Is it a message board? or is it a faction inside the game? I'd like to stay in the beginners Pilots Federation area for now. Most of the missions I saw when I exited were incomprehensible and involved very large ships/shipments/distances. Got slaughtered on my first combat mission.
Also, just to put things in perspective, I played this game on my Commodore 64 back in the 80's. It was awesome back then and I'm super excited to discover this updated version!

Top Bottom