Super Penetrator Rail Gun... What's it do again?

On the small ships I use sturdy, cause of the heat, only on the cutters I got em long range!
Oh, and for explorers ImpHammers with lightweight5 and plasma slug.
Burn through fuel thrice as fast, because for some strange FD balancing a single burst drains as much fuel as a standard rail shot.
Not that I complain though 😂

Hmmm, I'll keep at it. I had the PP targeted but still had to get an over-the-top or under shot to see any damage done. When i got them from that normal angle then it worked just as before. 3L OC Multi-Cannons are doing a fine job up close. I know you gotta still aim just was hoping to have more sucess in getting them from stand-of front/behind/side shots. Elite Pythons drove me nuts since it appears they have the PP on bottom and they REALLY work hard to never let you see the bottom of them flat-on.

Penetration depth is generally calculated as some (weapon based) multiple of the hull's narrowest linear dimension (usually thickness). Ships that are long, wide, and flat...such as the Python, have extremely well protected internals from almost any angle that isn't nearly perpendicular shot from above or below.

SP would have helped if it was another module getting in the way of the Python's PP, but not if you were simply off-angle.

Ships that are long, wide, and flat...such as the Python, have extremely well protected internals from almost any angle that isn't nearly perpendicular shot from above or below.

Nice to read this! Just last night I was wondering what the heck was going on as I repeatedly failed to blow up the Pythons' PPs in a CZ before taking their hull to zero with my Chieftain, as while flying my trusty MKIV I get giddy at the sight of a Python knowing how quickly I'll pop the PP on it.

Makes total sense now, I was pretty much staying behind the Python with the Chieftain, and in the MKIV I'm usually using lateral thrusters to stay perpendicular on them.

Last edited:
Now I can't see anything on EDSY to confirm this but I've read several claims that RG penetration depth is infinite. So it will go in and reach something if it breaches. SP just meant that it will not stop at that first thing it hits. Now, I had lost track of that "40 to 80% chance" thing, so that's a consideration. Possible I got hull damage not a breach. I was watching the PPlant percentage closely but not so much the hull. Bottom line is that people are saying it does work so I'm guessing it's user-error so far. I'll setup an FG that has just the one rail in it so I can test better. I am liking the Krait with those M/Cs and Rails though. Bet I like the Challenger with them even better :)

Nice to read this! Just last night I was wondering what the heck was going on as I repeatedly failed to blow up the Python's PPs in a CZ before taking their hull to zero with my Chieftain, as while flying my trusty MKIV I get giddy at the sight of a Python knowing how quickly I'll pop the PP on it.

Makes total sense now, I was pretty much staying behind the Python with the Chieftain, and in the MKIV I'm usually using lateral thrusters to stay perpendicular on them.

Yeah, It seems to me that the best shot is right below them but they will not often let me get there, above seems harder to land the hit but I'm hoping that SP helps there because that whale stalls out flat pretty often giving me 2 or 3 shots.

Last edited:
So it took me some time but I now do see that 'snap' moment and I see now that convergence makes it better to be farther out. I've started to see a better success rate getting module hits from all angles now but in a close fight it's not easy at all. HOTAS is not the best sniper tool but I'm getting the hang of it better now. Can often get them killed with 40 to 60% hull if I can keep my distance. FDLs, and Cobras are the toughest for me to get a good shot on. They move like wet bars of soap.

Super penetrator does one thing and one thing only...it prevents a shot that penetrates the hull from stopping at the first module it intersects with.

It does not change penetration chance. If you penetrate, a rail gun will do almost no damage to the hull, because the breach damage is such a large fraction of full damage.

It does not, I believe, change maximum penetration depth. If you couldn't reach the module from a certain angle before, and not due to interposing modules, but sheer depth, you won't reach it with super penetrator either.

What it does do is allow a module to be hit irrespective of those interposing modules and damage all modules in a line up to maximum penetration depth. For example, if you are directly behind a corvette and target it's FSD a normal rail gun will hit the power plant, and only the power plant, because it's in the way. With a superpen rail, you hit both and do full damage to both (and possibly other modules).
Hey cmdr, just happened on this old thread: in the patch notes for 1.4 fdev stated “ Railguns now have extreme penetration distance (will pierce to any module on any ship)”, which appears to contradict your affirmation, but maybe there was another patch I missed? My fairly limited testing so far supports what you say, but was looking for a more definitive answer :)

I need to git gud with Imperial Hammers w/feedback. SCB drives me crazy. How effective is a class 3 rail w/feedback compared to dual class 2 rails?

I believe for feedback cascade it might be more efficient to put on normal rails instead of imperial hammers. This is because you need to land all three hits in order to have an effect on the SCB that’s just slightly better than a standard rail so the overall 20% damage penalty might not be worth it.

Top Bottom